The Greek word used for ﬂesh is sarx where as the word soma is used for body.
Humanly speaking there seems to be no diﬀerence between the ﬂesh and the body. But the only wise God has made the diﬀerence in the Scripture which we are about to study.
Evidences for the Humanity of Christ
1. His human genealogy. “Who. . .was a descendant of David” Rom. 1:3.
2. His human appearance. “The Samaritan woman said, “You are a jew. . .” Jn. 4:9.
3. His human personality.
4. His human fame. “His mother said to him, son. . . Lk. 2:48.
5. His human needs. “Jesus was hungry” Mk. 11:12.
6. His human limitations. “No-one knows about that day. . .even the son.” Mk. 13:32
7. His human suﬀering. “He learned obedience from what he suﬀered.” Heb.5:8
Significance of Christ Coming in the Flesh
1. Christ came in the ﬂesh to share in our humanity. Heb.
2. Christ coming in the ﬂesh is a great mystery. 1 Tim.3:16
3. Christ coming in the ﬂesh is the mystery of godliness.
4. Christ coming in the ﬂesh is the hope of glory. Col. 1:27
5. Christ coming in the ﬂesh is the blessed experience. Mt. 16:17
6. Christ coming in the ﬂesh is revealed by the father. Mt. 16:17
7. Christ coming in the ﬂesh is to test the spirits. 1 Jn. 4:1
8. Christ coming in the ﬂesh is to recognize the spirits. 1 Jn. 4:2
9. Every spirit that acknowledges Christ coming in the ﬂesh is from God. 1 Jn. 4:2
10. Every spirit that does not acknowledge Christ coming in the ﬂesh is not from God and is the spirit of antichrist. 1 Jn. 4:3
Note: The confessing of Christ coming in the ﬂesh is not a confession by mouth or by intellect but it is in the SPIRIT.
The Purpose of Christ Coming in the Flesh
1. To identify with us and to destroy the devil who has the power of death. Heb. 2:14
2. To free those who all their lives are held in slavery by the fear of death. Heb.2:15
3. In order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest. Heb. 2:17
4. In order that he might make atonement for our sins. Heb.
5. In order that he might be able to help those who are being tempted. Heb. 2:18
6. In order that he might condemn sin of the ﬂesh (sinful nature) Rom. 8:3.
7. In order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fulﬁlled in us. Rom. 8:4
8. In order that he might be able to sympathize with our weakness.
9. In order that he might be tempted in every way just as we are.
10. In order that we might see his glory which is full of grace and truth. Jn. 1:14
11. In order that he might open for us the new and the living way.
12. In order that he might learn obedience from what he suﬀered.
Heb. 5:7, 8
Suppose that you love ants. You go to the ant hill and notice that a farmer is about to plow it. You want to warn and save them. You shout, use sign language at them, But you are unable to communicate. If you become an ant, you can communicate and they will understand you. In the same way Jesus had put on our ﬂesh to communicate all that God wants him to express to us!