The purpose of this post is to inform.
To begin with, the word ONE does not necessarily mean the number 1, or one thing. I want to suggest to you that one can mean more than one. Here are some definitions that I took from Webster’s Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary printed in 1963 from page 589: Entry 1, definition 3b, part (1) says “CONSTITUTING A UNIFIED ENTITY OF TWO, OR MORE COMPONENTS”; entry 3, definition 1 says “THE NUMBER DENOTING UNITY.” Keep these definitions in mind as you continue reading.
CHRISTIANS WORSHIP ONE GOD
First of all, Christians do not worship three Gods. They worship only one God. The misunderstanding comes from the fact that Christians will sometimes call God by His three entities (meaning three persons): God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. They are actually talking about the same God. To put it differently, the name for the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit is God. How can three entities be one God? Read next.
MAN IS MADE IN THE IMAGE OF GOD
Think about this. Mankind is made in the image of God. Therefore, mankind is also three in one. God made every person with a body, a soul, and a spirit. (Based on Deuteronomy 6:5; 1 Thessalonians 5:23 and Hebrews 4:12.) The name for that person’s body, soul, and spirit is whatever name that person was given at birth. My body, soul, and spirit is named Brenda. I am one Brenda with three entities. It’s the same with God. He is one God with three entities.
GOD HAS NO LIMITATIONS
The God of the Christian has no limitations on what He can do. He sees all, knows all, and can do anything He chooses to do within His nature. He can be any place at anytime and anywhere He wants to be. He can be in multiple places at the same time, if He so chooses. He can reveal Himself to people supernaturally, if necessary. And, He has done so. The apostle Paul [formerly known as Saul] is a fine example of this.
ACTS 9:3-5 (Saul had gotten permission to arrest Christians and bring them back to Jerusalem.)
(3) And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven: (4) And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? (5) And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest…
Comment: At the time Jesus spoke to Saul, Jesus had already ascended into heaven. How do I know that? It is because verse 3 says, “there shined round about him a light from heaven.”
GOD HAS ONENESS
The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit live in perfect unity and perfect harmony. They operate together. There is absolutely no conflict between them. They are in perfect agreement with each other. That is why they are considered as one. Here are some verses to verify this:
JOHN 10:30 (Jesus is speaking.)
(30) I and [my] Father are one.
7) If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
8) Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9) Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou [then], Shew us the Father?
10) Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11 )Believe me that I [am] in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.
Now the following Scripture passages mention all three entities of God:
THE CREATION OF THE WORLD
GENESIS 1:1-3 (OMNB)
(1) In the beginning GOD created the heaven and the earth. (2) And the earth was totally empty, devoid of all life, (Jeremiah 4:23)both animal and plant; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the SPIRIT OF GOD hovered, brooded, over the face of the waters. (3)And GOD said, “Light, Be!” And there was light.
Comment: I believe all three entities of God were present at creation. The One Man New Bible has a footnote for verse 3 that explains the light. This is what it has to say: “The light was the aura of God until He created the sun in verses 14-19.” What is this aura of light? Go to John 1:3-4 and John 8:12. You will find that Jesus is referred to as light. With that said, let’s move on. First of all creation had to be thought of. I found this verse in the Book of Isaiah.
(24) The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, [so] shall it stand:
Comment: Since God the Father was in command, He shared His creative thoughts with His Son. The Son, who is the Word of God and the Light, spoke whatever the Father told Him to speak. Whatever the Son said was acted on by the Holy Spirit. In this way, everything was created. This is the work of perfect unity. How fast this procedure was accomplished, as fast as God wanted to accomplish it. (See Proverbs 8:22-31. It tells about the preexistence of Jesus, who is God the Son, before time began and His involvement in the act of creation. John 1:10 and Colossians 1:14-16 confirm His involvement.)
THE CREATION OF MAN
(26) And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (27) So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Comment: In the English language, when one sees the words “us” and “our”, that means it is talking about more than one entity. “God said, Let US make man in OUR image.” Who is the “us” and “our” that is being talked about? I believe it’s the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit as I mentioned earlier.
THE BAPTISM OF JESUS
(16)And JESUS, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the SPIRIT OF GOD descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: (17) And lo A VOICE from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Comment: In these verses you can see the presence of the three entities of God. It mentions Jesus, who is the Son, then the Spirit of God that descended on Jesus, and then the Voice, which was the Father’s voice. How do I know it was the Father’s voice? It is because the voice called Jesus “my beloved Son.” So, there you have all three.
THE GREAT COMMISSION
(18) And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. (19) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the FATHER, and of the SON, and of the HOLY GHOST: (20) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.
Comment: Notice that Jesus makes reference to all three entities of God in verse 19 in relation to baptism.
THE PROPHECY CONCERNING JESUS
LUKE 1:35 (The angel of the Lord is speaking to Mary)
(35) And the angel answered and said unto her, The HOLY GHOST shall come upon thee, and the power of THE HIGHEST shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the SON OF GOD.
Comment: Here the angel mentions the three entities of God: The Holy Ghost (meaning the Spirit), the Highest (speaking of the Father) and the Son of God (who is God the Son in the flesh). With God’s creative ability and by the Holy Spirit, a “seed” was created in Mary. If God could create a whole man and woman, He could also create in Mary the seed that would produce His Son. Again, nothing is impossible with God.
Final comment: I would like to leave you with this illustration. If you take a salt and pepper shaker and super glue them together, they become as one. When you pick them up to shake them, they will act as one. However, you still have the salt and you still have the pepper. Each still has its own special properties, but now they are acting as one.
All Scriptures in this post came from the old King James Version of the Bible, or the One New Man Bible.