The New Testament uses the word GIFT and GIFTS in relation to the Holy Spirit. The “Gift” of the spirit refers to a speciﬁc, experience in the Holy Spirit, where as the “Gifts” refers to the divine abilities given by the Spirit of God!
Facts about the Gift of the Holy Spirit
1. It is for those who have REPENTED. “Repent. . .and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” Acts 2:38.
2. It is followed by WATER BAPTISM. “Be Baptised. . .and you will receive” Acts 2:38.
3. It is for those who ask. “Holy spirit to those who ask him” Lk.
4. It is the promise of the father. “My father has promised” Lk.
5. It is the power from on high. (You have been clothed with. . .” Lk. 24:49.
6. It is the promise for our CHILDREN Acts 2:39.
7. It is for those whom God CALLS. “For all whom. . .God will call” Acts 2:39.
8. It is the prophecy for the LAST DAYS. “In the last days, God. . . will pour out” Acts2:17.
9. It is usually followed by TONGUES. “The Holy Spirit came. .
. and they spoke in tongues” Acts 19:6.
10. We can believe and not receive it. “Receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” Acts19:2, 3.
The Purpose of the Gift
1. TO RECEIVE POWER. “You shall receive power when the
Holy Spirit has come. . .” Acts1:8.
2. TO BE WITNESSES. “When the Holy Spirit has come. . .you shall be My witnesses” Acts1:8.
3. TO PROPHESY. “I will pour out my Spirit. . .will prophesy” Acts 2:17.
4. FOR THE STREAMS OF LIVING WATER. “Streams of living water ﬂow from within him” Jn. 7:38, 39.
5. For Praising God. “Holy Spirit. . .poured. . .praising God” Acts10:45, 46.
6. TO DO THE MINISTRY. “. . .the Holy Spirit descended. . .he began his ministry. . .” Lk. 3:22,23.
7 PEOPLE WHO RECEIVED THE GIFT:
a. The Lord Jesus Lk. 3:22.
b. One hundred and twenty devotees Acts 1:15; 2:1-4. c. Apostle Paul Acts 9:17,18.
d. Believers of Samaria Acts 8:14-17.
e. The household of Cornelius Acts 10:4446. f. Believers at Galatia Gal.3:3-5.
g. Disciples at Ephesus Acts 19:26.
Phrases Used for the Gift of the Spirit
1. Baptism with the Holy Spirit. Mk. 1:8
2. Anointing with the Holy Spirit. Acts 10:38
3. Filling of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:4
4. Father’s promise. Lk. 24:49
4. Power from on high. Lk. 24:49
It was on 10/10/1821 Charles Finney was powerfully converted in the morning and in the evening of the same day received the gift of the Holy Spirit; which he afterwards called as “the Baptism of the Spirit.” Finney was endued with power from on high. Almost every person Finney talked to that day was seized with conviction for sin. God began to use him mightily to bring Revivals. There is no substitute for the gift of the Holy Spirit that inﬂuenced Finney’s life and ministry! How about us?