The Word of God
The Bible is the Word of God. It is through this Word, God communicates with us. It is the revelation of God’s plan for us.
Facts about the Bible
1. The Bible consists of 66 books.
2. Forty authors wrote.
3. It has 1,189 chapters. In A.D. 1227 Stephen Longtum, a man of God, divided the Bible according to the verses.
4. It has 31,101 verses. In A. D.1448, Rabbi Nathan, a man of
God divided the Old Testament according to the verses.
5. Thirty-nine books of the Old Testament is based on Hebrew language. But Ezra 4:8; 6:18; 7:12-26 and Daniel 2:4-7,28 portions were written in Aramaic. The Aramaic language is also called Seriaic. Aramaic was the mother tongue of Jesus. Twenty-seven books of the New Testament is based on Greek language.
6. The word “God” comes 3,358 times in the Bible.
7. There are 1,260 promises.
8. There are 3,294 questions hidden in it.
9. There are. totally 6,468 diﬀerent commands.
10.The word “Lord” or “Yehovah” comes 7,736 times.
Seven Main Theme of the Bible
1. GOD’S LOVE—“…toknowthislovethatsurpasses knowledge…” Eph.3:19.
2. GRACE OF CHRIST— “. . .know the grace of our Lord Jesus
Christ. . .” 2 Cor. 8:9.
3. THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT— “Ministry of the
Spirit. . .more Glorious” 2 Cor. 3:8.
4. CONDITION OF MAN
MAN AS SINNER— “For all have sinned. . .” Rom. 3:23. Man as Believer.“For all shall know me. . . .” Heb. 8:11.
5. SATAN’S STATE—“The devil was thrown into the take of burning sulfur. . .” Rev. 20:10.
6. THE WORLD’S FUTURE—“The earth and everything in it will be burned up. . . .” 2 Pet. 3:10
7. REALITY OF ETERNITY—”A new heaven and a new earth.
. .the dwelling of God is with men but. . .the unbelieving. . .will be in ﬁery lake. . . .” Rev. 21:1,3,8
Seven Symbols of God’s Word
1. LIGHT—“Your word is a lamp to my feet” Ps. 119:105.
2. FIRE—“I will make my words in your mouth a ﬁre” Jer. 5:14.
3. HAMMER—“And like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?” Jer. 23:29
4. SEED—“The seed is the Word of God. . .” Lk. 8:11.
5. SWORD—“Take. . .the sword of the Spirit. . .” Eph. 6:17.
6. DEW—“My words descend like dew” Deut. 32:2.
7. MIRROR—“listens. . .the word. . .in a mirror” Jas. 1:23.
The Word of God 59
Seven Characteristics of the Word of God
1. ETERNAL Your Word. . .is eternal” Ps. 119:89.
2. INSPIRED “All Scripture. . .is God-breathed” 2 Tim. 3:16.
3. LIVING “For the word of God is living” Heb. 4:12.
4. ACTIVE “For the word is. . .active’’ Heb. 4:12.
5. PERFECT “The law of the Lord is perfect. . .” Ps. 19:7.
6. TRUSTWORTHY “The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy” Ps.19:8.
7. SWEET “They are sweeter than honey. . .” Ps. 19:10.
Seven Blessings of God’s Word
1. KEEPS FROM SIN. “Your word in my heart that I might not sin. . .” Ps. 119:11.
2. GIVES BIRTH. “Give us birth through the word” Jas.1 :18.
3. SETS FREE. “The truth shall set you free” Jn.8:32.
4. IT CLEANSES. “You are clean because of the word,” Jn. 15:3.
5. IT HEALS. “He sent forth his word and healed them” Ps. 107:20.
6. GIVES UNDERSTANDING. It gives understanding. . .” Ps. 119:130.
7. GIVES FAITH.“Faith comes by hearing the word of Christ” Rom. 10:17
Our Seven Responses to God’s Word
1. ACCEPTING “. . .had accepted the word of God” Acts 8:14.
2. BELIEVING “Believed. . .the words that Jesus had spoken” Jn. 2:22
3. TREMBLING “. . . . This is the one. . .trembles at my word.
. .” Js. 66:2.
4. HEARING “. . .hearing. . .word of Christ” Rom. 10:17.
5. LOVING “Great peace have they who love your law” Ps. 119:165.
6. OBEYING “. . .but now I obey your word” Ps.119:67.
7. MEDITATING “. . .for I meditate on your statutes” Ps.
Seven Ways to Read God’s Word
1. REGULARLY “as was his custom. . .he. . .read” Lk.4:16.
2. Delightfully “For I ,delight in Your commands” Ps. 119:47.
3. PRAYERFULLY “Open my eyes, that I may see” Ps.119:18.
4. MEDITATIVELY “I meditate on it all day long” Ps 119:97.
5. LOVINGLY “Your commands, which l love” Ps. 119:48.
6. UNDERSTANDABLY In reading this you will be able to understand” Eph. 3:4.
7. ATTENTIVELY “Attentively to the Book of the Law” Neh. 8:3.
John Sung was an amazing man from China, who loved the Word of God. Once he was admitted in a mental hospital for a time of rest. He read the Bible 40 times during those 193 days in the mental hospital! Do we love the Word?
Mysteries of the Word of God
In the Word of God there are things that are mysteries i.e., “secrets” and things that are “revealed” Though the secret things belong to God (Deut. 29:29, ‘it is the glory of the kings to search out a matter (Prov. 25:2). So, let’s launch out to dig the mysteries of God!
Few Mysteries of God’s Word
1. GOD’S KINGDOM. “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you” Mk. 4:11.
2. HARDNESS OF THE ISRAELITES. “This mystery. . .Israel
. . .hardening. . .” Rom. 11:25.
3. GOSPEL OF CHRIST. “Gospel. . .the proclamation of. . . mystery hidden. . .” Rom. 16:25.
4. WISDOM OF GOD. “God’s secret wisdom. . .hidden”
1 Cor. 2:7.
5. KNOWING CHRIST. “Know the mystery of God, namely, Christ. . .” Col. 2:2.
6. LIFE OF GODLINESS. “. . .the mystery of godliness is great. . .”
1 Tim. 3:16.
7. TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL. “Make known the mystery of the Gospel” Eph. 6:19.
8. SPEAKING IN A TONGUE. “. . .one who speaks in a tongue
. . .utters mysteries” 1 Cor. 14:2.
9. BELIEVER’S TRANSFORMATION. “A mystery: We will. . . all be changed” 1 Cor. 15:51.
10. PURPOSE OF GOD. “. . .the mystery of his will. . .which he purposed in Christ” Eph. 1:9.
11. CHURCH, THE BODY CHRIST. “This is a profound mystery. . .about Christ and the church” Eph. 5:32.
12. WORK OF LAWLESSNESS. “The secret power of lawlessness is already at work. . .” 2 Thess. 2:7.
13. 7 CHURCHES AND SERVANTS–“The mystery of the seven stars. . .are the angels. . .are the seven Churches” Rev. 1:20.
14. BABYLON THE GREAT. “. . .MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT THE MOTHER. . .” Rev. 17:5.
15. The woman and the beast. “. . .the mystery of the woman and of the Bbast she rides. . .” Rev. 17:7.
Facts about the Mysteries
1. KEPT HIDDEN FOR AGES. “the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations” Col. 1:26.
2. GOD CHOSE TO MAKE KNOWN.“God has chosen to make known riches of this mystery” Col. 1:27.
3. MADE KNOWN BY REVELATION. “The mystery made known to me by Revelation” Eph. 3:3.
4. REVEALED BY THE SPRIT. “It has now been revealed by the
Spirit. . .” Eph. 3:5.
5. HIDDEN IN GOD. “Mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God” Eph. 3:8-9.
6. ENTRUSTED WITH THE SECRETS. “Entrusted with the secret things of God. . .” 1 Cor. 4:1.
7. GOD COMMANDS TO BE KNOWN. “. . .Mystery. . .made known. . .by the command of God” Rom. 16:25, 26.
8. LOVE GREATER THAN REVELATION. “Can fathom all mysteries. . .but have not love, I am nothing” 1 Cor. 13:2.
9. SUFFERING FOR THE MYSTERY. “The mystery. . .for which I am in chains” Col. 4:3.
10. TO BE DECLARED FEARLESSLY. “Mystery. . .I may declare it fearlessly as I should” Eph. 6:19, 20.
Conditions to Know the Mysteries
1. REVELATION “The mystery made known to me by revelation” Eph. 3:3.
2. PRAYER “I keep asking. . .God may give you the Spirit of. . . revelations” Eph. 1:17.
3. HUMILITY “He guides the humble. . .teaches them his way” Ps. 25:9.
4. GOD FEARING – “the man that fears the Lord he will instruct him in the way. . .” Ps. 25:12.
5. SEARCHING SERIOUSLY “Search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will. . .” Pov. 2:3,4.
6. CHILDLIKE ATTITUDE “hidden from the wise revealed them to little children” Mt. 11:25.
7. CHOOSING GOD’S WILL “If anyone chooses to do God’s will, he will ﬁnd out. . .” Jn. 7:17.
In Kolar there are gold mines. It had been there from the time of Adam and Moses, but was not discovered then. Recently they found out a gold mine in Bihar which yields more gold than Kolar.
In the same way for many ages until Paul the mysteries of God’s word was hidden. But if we submit to the above conditions the Spirit of God will reveal many mysteries to us also!
Renewed and concentrated thought is meditation. The real meaning of the word “meditation” is ruminate. Worrying is a negative form of meditation.
To think and to remember, is also a simple form of meditation.
Time of Meditation
1. EVENING “He went out to the ﬁeld one evening to meditate” Gen. 24:63.
2. NIGHT “My eyes stay open. . .of that night that I may meditate” Ps. 119:148.
3. DAY AND NIGHT “Meditate on it day and night. . .” Joh. 1:8.
How to Meditate
1. DELIGHTFULY “But his delight is in the law of the Lord” Ps. 1:2.
2. LOVINGLY “Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long” Ps. 119:97.
3. ON THE BED “On my bed, I think of you. . .” Ps. 63:6.
Importance of Meditation
1. THERE IS A BLESSEDNESS. “Blessed is the man who. . . meditates day and night” Ps. 1:1-2.
2. SPIRITUAL’ FRESHNESS. “He is like a tree planted by streams of water” Ps. 1:3.
3. FRUITFUL LIFE. “He is like a tree. . .which yield its fruit in season” Ps.1:3.
4. PROSPEROUS LIFE. “Meditate. . .do. . .then you will be prosperous” Joh. 1:8.
5. LIFE OF SUCCESS. “. . .then you will be successful. . .” Joh.
6. PLEASING TO GOD. “May my meditation be pleasing to him” Ps. 104:34.
7. MORE INSIGHT. “I have more sight. . .for I meditate” Ps.
Tolstoi went through a period of deep anxiety. Nothing made sense to him, nothing seemed worthwhile. He hid the rope, lest in an unguarded moment he might take his life. And he come out of it by meditation of God. He kept meditating on, “The eternal God is your refuge” until hope rushed in and his heart grew quiet and composed. “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be
acceptable in thy sight, O Lord” Ps.19:14.
In God’s word there are totally 1,260 promises. God’s promises never change. They can be compared to a cheque book signed in every page. Using it depends entirely on us.
Conditions to God’s Promises
1. KEEPING COMMANDMENTS. “The Lord will establish you
. . .as he promised you. . .if you keep the commandments” Deut. 28:9.
2. BEING PERSUADED. “Being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised” Rom. 4:21.
3. HAVING FAITH. “. . .those who through faith. . .inherit what has been promised” Heb. 6:12.
4. WAITING PATIENTLY. “After waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised” Heb. 6:15.
5. DOING GOD’S WILL. “When you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised” Heb. 10:36.
Charcteristics of God’s Promises
1. NEVER FAILS. “. . .not one word has failed of all the good promises. . .” 1 Kings. 8:56.
2. IT’S ETERNAL. “God, who does not lie, promised. . .before. . . time” Tit. 1:2–3.
3. GREAT AND PRECIOUS. “. . .he has given us. . .great and precious promises” 2 Pet. 1:4.
4. CONFIRMED WITH AN OATH. “What Was Promised, He conﬁrmed it with an oath” Heb. 6:17.
5. ASSURED IN CHRIST. “No matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ” 2 Cor. 1:20.
Facts about God’s Promises
1. IT ’ S PURPOSE . “ S o that thr ough them y ou may participate in the divine nature” 2 Pet. 1:4.
2. IT’S BY FAITH. “So that by faith we might receive the promise” Gal 3:14.
3. IT’S SPECIFIC. “The promises were spoken to Abraham. . .” Gal. 3:16.
4. IT’S GIVER. “God in his grace gave. . .through a promise” Gal. 3:18.
5. IT’S CONDITION. “If you belong to Christ then. . .the promise” Gal. 3:29.
6. IT’S HOPE. “This is the promise. . .hoping to see fulﬁlled. . .” Acts 26:6.
7. IT’S BY GRACE. “The promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace” Rom. 4:16.
Promises of God
1. THE SAVIOUR “God has brought the Saviour Jesus, as he promised” Acts 13:23.
2. THE HOLY SPIRIT— “What my Father has promised. . .power from on high” Lk. 24:49.
3. ETERNAL LIFE— “Hope of eternal life which God promised. . .” Tit. 1:2.
4. MATERIAL BLESSING— “For the Lord your God will bless you as he has promised” Deut. 15:6.
5. CROWN OF LIFE “the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him” Jas. 1:12.
6. KINGDOM OF GOD “. . .to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him” Jas. 2:5.
7. NEW HEAVENS “In keeping with this promise. . .a new heaven and a new earth” 2 Pet. 3:13.
Catherine Marshall when faced with Tuberculosis she became serious with God and said,” It amounted to a quiet pledge to God the promise of a blank check with my life. . .I said from this moment I promise that I’ll try to do whatever you tell me for the rest of my life in so far as you’ll make it clear to me what your wishes are. . . .” Since, we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God. 2 Cor. 7:1
Every believer is supposed to be a Bible student and every Bible student is supposed to be a Bible teacher also! This is a possibility only if we apply the principles of the Bible. See Hebrews 5:12. Here in this study we have some guidelines on how to study the Bible.
Reasons for Studying the Bible
1. FOR ETERNAL LIFE “you diligently study the Scriptures. . . by them you possess eternal life.” Jn. 5:39
2. TO TEACH “Ezra had devoted himself to the study. . .to teaching. . . .” Ezra.7:10
3. FOR CONFIRMATION “They. . .examined the Scriptures
. . .to see if what Paul said was true.” Acts 17:11
4. TO ANSWER “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you. . . .” 1 Pet. 3:15
5. TO HELP OTHERS “How can I (understand). . .unless some one explains it to me. . .so. . .come. . . .” Acts 8:31
Methods of Bible Study
This method of Bible study is by gathering the thoughts as a whole.
Eg: By reading Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21.
2. ANALYSIS This method involves examining the word carefully. Eg: The Bereans analysed the word. Acts 17:11.
3. CHAPTER This involves selecting a speciﬁc chapter to study in a special way.
Eg: Ps. 23; 1 Cor. 13 etc;
4. THEMATIC This method involves selecting a speciﬁc subject for study. Eg: kingdom of God; Second Coming of Christ etc;
5. WORD Word study is by selecting a particular word in the
Bible. Eg: Love, Grace, Holiness etc.
6. BIOGRAPHICAL This method involves the studying of a person selected. Eg: Abraham, Paul, Mary etc,
7. TYPICAL The studying of a person, event or a substance in the
O.T. to see the fulﬁllment in the N.T. is the typical study. Eg.
* PERSON Moses is a type of Christ. See Deut.18:15 with
* EVENT Sabbath is a type of Christ. See Lev. 23:3 with Col.
* SUBSTANCE The bronze snake is a type of Christ. See
Num. 21:8, 9 with Jn. 31:14, 15.
Tools for the Bible Study
1. THE BIBLE Preferably a reference edition.
2. ANOTHER VERSION In addition to your own Bible have another version to compare.
3. CONCORDANCE Better exhaustive one or atleast a handy concordance.
4. BIBLE READING RECORD Just to keep track of the systematic study covered.
5. NOTE BOOK To note down and to keep a record of the study.
6. PEN & COLOUR PENCILS To write and to mark.
7. THE AUTHOR Ofcourse, we need the Author of the Bible who is the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth. Jn. 16:13.
Guidelines to the Bible Study
1. BEGIN WITH PRAYER “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law” Ps. 119:18.
2. EXAMINE THE WORD “They with great eagerness examined the Scriptures every day” Acts 17:11.
3. GET REVELATION “Father, may give you. . .revelation, so that you may know him better” Eph. 1:17.
4. PRAISE THE LORD “I will praise you. . .as I learn your righteous laws” Ps. 119:7.
5. MEDITATE THE PORTION “Your law! I meditate on it all day long” Ps. 119:97.
6. DEVOTE TO OBSERVE “Ezra had devoted himself to. . . observance of the Law of the Lord” Ezra 7:10.
7. SHARE WITH OTHERS “He explained and declared to them . . .tried to convince of. . .from. . .” Acts 28:23.
Questions to Ponder
1. What is the main message of this study?
2. Who is the main person in this study?
3. What is the revelation I got from this study?
4. What is the portion that I need to follow?
5. What does this passage teach about the Father, the Son and the
6. What is it that I share for the ediﬁcation of others?
7. Is there anything I did not understanding in this passage and what is the solution?
There was a godly man called Aslaksen who ministered in Scandinavian countries. He taught believers to read God’s word— to read it word for word—exactly to believe it and to do it. He exhorted to read diligently in the Bible concordance so that God’s Word could leave the deepest possible impression in our lives in the shortest possible time. He himself ﬁrst lived what he exhorted. Are we lazy with our Bible?
The word “man” comes 2576 times in the Bible. Evolution says that man evolved from monkey. Some say man is a paradox, others teach Aaham Brahmasmi that man is God. In the midst of various opinions shall we see what the Bible has to say about man?
Who is Man
1. GOD’S CREATION “When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God.” Gen. 5:1
2. DUST OF THE GROUND “The Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground. . . .” Gen. 2:7
3. GOD’S IMAGE “So God created man in his own image. . . .” Gen. 1:27
4. CREATED FOR GOD “Whom I created for my glory. . . .” Is. 43:7
5. MADE UPRIGHT “God made man upright. . . .” Eccl. 7:29
6. RULER OF CREATION “You made man him ruler over . . . everything. . . .” Ps. 8:6
7. LOWER THAN ANGELS “You made him a little lower than the angels. . . .” Heb. 2:7
Man is body, soul and spirit according to the Word of God in 1 Thessalonians 5:23.
The spirit of a man is the conscience intuition and the ability to worship God.
* CONSCIENCE It’s an indicator which points “right” or
Eg. “I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man” Acts 24:16.
* INTUITION It’s an inner knowledge that is spiritual and intellectual.
Eg. “God to ﬁll you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding” Col. 1:9.
* WORSHIP Ability to worship God is the faculty of the Spirit.
Eg. “God is spirit, and his worshippers must worship in spirit” Jn. 4:24.
Man’s soul or mind is of emotion, intellect and will power.
* EMOTION It is a faculty of soul which has ability to love or to hate.
Eg. He hated her more than he had loved her. . . .” 2 Sam. 13:15.
* INTELLECT It is an ability to think.
Eg. “Stop thinking like children. . .but in your thinking be adults”
1 Cor. 4:20.
* WILL POWER It is an ability to decide.
Eg. “But has control over his own will, and has made up his mind” 1 Cor. 7:37.
• Man’s body is of ﬂesh, blood and bones.
• We have six hundred muscles in our body.
• Two hundred and sixty-three bones
• Nine hundred and seveny miles long veins carrying the blood.
• Forty miles long sweat pipes.
• We breathe two thousand and four hundred gallons of air per day.
• Our heart beats four thousand two hundred times per hour.
• Our heart pumps twelve tons of blood per day.
Job said: “Cloth me with skin and ﬂesh and knit me together with bones and sinews” Job. 10:11. David said: “I am fearfully and wonderfully made. . . .” Ps.139:14
Though there is no teaching in the Bible on temperament, examples of the four temperaments can be studied:
1. SANGUINE— the sparkly temperament.
* “STRENGTHS—friendly, enthusiastic and optimistic.
* WEAKNESS—indisciplined, weak willed and unstable.
* EXAMPLES—Actors, Salesmen etc.
* IN THE BIBLE—Peter’s temperament is more of sanguine Mat
14:28; 19:27; 26:69–72.
2. CHOLERIC—the rocky temperament.
* STRENGTHS—strong-will, productive and natural leader.
* WEAKNESS—domineering, unsympathetic and cruel
* EXAMPLES—Leaders, producers etc;
* IN THE BIBLE—Paul’s temperament is more of choleric.
Acts 8:1, 3; 9:1; 1 Cor. 4:21.
3. MELANCHOLY—the temperament of various moods.
* STRENGTHS—gifted, Sacrifying and sensitive
* WEAKNESS—moody, critical and pessimistic
* EXAMPLES—Scientists, nurses etc;
* IN THE BIBLE—Moses seems to be more melancholy by temperament.
Ex. 3:11–23, 4:1–13; Num. 20:10–12.
4. PHLEGMATIC—the stable temperament.
* STRENGTHS—Calm, dependable and easy going
* WEAKNESS—Stubborn, stingy and passive.
* EXAMPLES—Ambassadors, teachers etc;
* IN THE BIBLE—Abraham seems to be more of phlegmatic by temperament.
Gen. 12:1, 5, 20:2, 13, 21:14.
These are some problems of man for which God’s Word oﬀer solution:
1. SIN “Come now. . .though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white a snow” Is. 1:18.
2. DISMAY “The Sovereign Lord says. . .the one who trust will never be dismayed” Is. 28:16.
3. SORROW “The Lord will be Your. . .light, and your days of sorrow will end” Is. 60:20.
4. SHAME “Do not be afraid. . .you will forget the shame of your youth and. . .reproach” Is. 54:4.
5. FEAR “So do not fear, for I am with you for I am your God
. . .” Is. 41:10.
6. HELPLESSNESS “Do not be afraid… for I myself will help you declares the Lord” Is. 41:14.
7. TROUBLED “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in
God; Trust also in me” Jn. 14:1.
8. NEEDS “And my God win meet all your needs in Christ
Jesus” Phil. 4:19.
9. REJECTION “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you” Heb.13:5.
10. SICKNESS “I will not bring diseases for I am the Lord, who heals you” Ex.15:26.
What is man? Man has enough FAT for seven bars of soap; IRON enough for one medium-sized nail; SUGAR enough for seven cups of tea; PHOSPHORUS enough to tip 2200 matches; MAGNESIUM enough for one dose of salts; POTASH enough to explode one toy crane; SULPHUR enough to kill one dog…
But the Bible says that God is MINDFUL of man. And that he cares for him Ps. 8:4.
And the man who lives for such God will bring delight to God and inﬂuence people for God!
The word “sin” comes 763 times in the Bible. Sin includes both speciﬁc wrong actions and a condition. Like one old saint said, Sin can be traced even in our best actions. Let’s study this subject of sin and what God’s Word has to say about it.
What is Sin
The original meaning of sin is to “miss the mark.” Here are the meanings which the Bible gives:
1. That which is NOT of FAITH- “And everything that does not come from faith is sin” Rom. 14:23.
2. Not doing KNOWN GOOD “Anyone, then, who knows the good. . .and doesn’t do it, sins” Jas. 4:17.
3. Sin is LAWLESSNESS “Everyone who sins breaks the Law; in fact, sin is lawlessness” 1 Jn. 3:4.
4. ALL WRONG DOING “All wrong doing is Sin. . . .”
1 Jn. 5:17.
5. NOT BELIEVING JESUS “. . .in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me” Jn.16:9.
Origin of Sin
1. PRIDE IN SATAN’S HEART “Your heart became proud and you corrupted. . . .” Ezek. 28:2, 17
2. CRAFTINESS OF SERPENT “The serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals” Gen. 3:1.
3. EVE LISTENING TO THE SERPENT’S WORD “And the woman said, ‘The serpent deceived me and I ate.” Gen. 3:13
4. ADAM LISTENING TO EVE’S VOICE “Because you listened to your wife. . . .” Gen. 3:17
5. ADAM’S DISOBEDIENCE TO GOD’S WORD “. . .and ate from tree about which I commanded you. . .cursed is the ground because of you.” Gen. 3:17
Sources of Sin
1. BELONGING TO THE DEVIL “You belong to your father, the devil. . .carry out your father’s desire. . . .” Jn. 8:44
2. DISOBEDIENCE OF ADAM “Through the disobedience of one man the many were made sinners. . . .” Rom. 5:19
3. SINFUL FROM BIRTH “I was sinful at birth. . .the time my mother conceived me.” Ps. 51:5
4. OUR OWN EVIL DESIRE “each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire. . .to sin.” Jas. 1:14,15
5. BAD INFLUENCE OF OTHERS “Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character.” 1 Cor. 15:33
Kinds of Sins
1 SECRET SINS “. . .our secret sins in the light of your presence” Ps. 90:8.
2. UNINTENTIONAL SINS “when anyone sins unintentionally, and does. . .” Lev. 4:2.
3. WILLFUL SINS “Keep your servant also from willful sins, then will I be blameless” Ps.19:13.
4. ETERNAL SIN – “. . .blaspheme against the Holy Spirit. . .is guilty of an eternal sin” Mk. 3:29,
5. DEADLY SIN- “. . .God will give him life. There is a sin that leads to death. . .” 1. Jn. 5:16.
Facts About Sin
1. SIN IS AGAINST GOD “Against you, you only, have I sinned and done. . .evil” Ps. 51:4.
2. SIN LEADS TO SLAVERY “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin” Jn. 8:34.
3. SIN RESULTS IN DEATH “. . .slaves to sin. . .the wages of sin is death. . .” Rom. 6:20–23.
4. SEPARATES US FROM GOD “But your iniquities have separated you from your God. . .your sins. . .” Is. 59:2.
5. CAN DEFILE MANY “See to it that no one misses the grace to cause trouble and deﬁle many” Heb. 12:15.
Forgiveness of Sin
1. FORGIVENESS IS FROM GOD “But with you there is forgiveness therefore you are feared” Ps. 130:4 .
2. IT IS IN CHRIST’S NAME “. . .because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name” 1 Jn. 2:12.
3. THROUGH THE BLOOD OF CHRIST “In him we have. . . through his blood, the forgiveness of sins” Eph. 1:7.
4. THROUGH PERSONAL REPENTANCE “Repent. ..everyone of you. . .for the forgiveness of your sins. . .” Acts 2:38.
5. RELATED TO FORGIVING OTHERS “This is how my heavenly Father treat. . .unless you forgive your brother from your heart” Mt. 18:35.
Our Reation to Sin
1. SHOULD NOT COVER UP “I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. . .” Ps. 32:5.
2. CONFESS IT TO GOD “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and Just and will forgive us our sins. . .” 1 Jn. 1:9.
3. SHOULD HATE IT “Hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behaviour. . .” Prov. 8:13.
4. SHOULD RENOUNCE IT “But whoever confesses and renounces them ﬁnds mercy” Prov. 28:13.
5. SHOULD MASTER IT “. . .sin is crouching at your door but you must master it” Gen. 4:7.
6. MOURN OVER IT “. . .you sinners. . .grieve, mourn and wail. . .mourning” Jas. 4:8,9.
7. RESIST TO BLOODSHED “. . .against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood” Heb. 12:4.
8. PUT TO DEATH “But if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live” Rom. 8:13.
9. REPENT AND PRAY “Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive” Acts 8:22.
10. SHOULD PURIFY FROM “Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts. . .” Jas. 4:8.
A Sunday school boy was forced to steal apples by his friends. But he refused and said, “you can kill me, but I will not steal or lie or do anything that Christ says is wrong because I gave my heart to him in Sunday school.” So his friends ducked him in water, yet he refused to give in. Finally they held him under the water once too often and he died! RATHER DIE THAN SIN!
The devil or Satan is a real person and not an imaginary comic ﬁgure. He is the leader of evil forces opposed to God. He is God’s enemy and ours too. Unless we know our enemy and his devices we cannot ﬁght against him and win over him. He has got some six thousand years of evil experiences. Let’s study about him as depicted by God in his word for us.
History of Satan
1. HE IS GOD’S CREATION “. . .on the day you were created
. . .” Ezek. 28:13.
2. HE WAS A CHERUB “you were anointed as a guardian cherub. . .” Ezek. 28:14.
3. HE WAS IN GOD’S MOUNT “you were on the holy mount of God. . .” Ezek. 28:14.
4. HE WAS BLAMELESS “you are blameless in your ways. . .” Ezek. 28:15.
5. HE WAS WISE “Are you wiser than Daniel? Is no secret hidden from you?” Ezek. 28:3.
6. HE BECAME PROUD HEARTED “In the pride of your heart you say, ‘I am a god. . .” Ezek. 28:2.
7. HE WAS EXPELLED “. . .I expelled you, O guardian cherub
. . .” Ezek.28:16.
Titles of Satan
1. Beelzebub. Mt. 12:24.
2. Morning star. Is. 14:12.
3. The prince of this world. Jn. 4:30.
4. The god of this age. 2 Cor. 4:4.
5. The ruler of the kingdom of the air. Eph.2:2.
6. The powers of this dark world. Eph. 6:12.
7. The angel (of the Abyss). Rev. 9:11.
Activities of Satan
1 Questioning God’s command. Gen. 3:1
2 Giving false promises. Gen. 3:4,5
3 To bring doubt about God’s goodness. Gen. 3:5
4 Fill the heart to lie to the Holy Spirit. Acts 5:3
5 Bind people in sickness. Lk. 13:11,16
6 Takes away the words from the heart. Lk 8:12
7 Do miracles to deceive. 2 Thess. 2:9
8 Entering in men to persuade to betray. Lk. 22:3,4
9 Stops the ones ministering. 1Thess. 2:18.
10 Struggling with God’s people. Eph. 6:11, 12.
Our Reaction to Satan
1. PERCEIVING HIS THOUGHTS. “In order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.”
2 Cor. 2:11.
2. GIVING NO CHANCE. “And do not give the devil a foothold.” Eph. 4:27.
3. RESISTING IN THE FAITH. “Resist him standing ﬁrm in the faith” 1 Pet. 5:9.
4. SUBMITTING TO GOD. “Submit yourselves to God, resist the devil. . .” Jas. 4:7.
5. OVERCOMING BY THE WORD OF GOD. “The word of
God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.”
1 Jn. 2:14.
6. OVERCOMING BY THE BLOOD OF CHRIST. “They overcame him by the blood of the lamb” Rev. 12:11.
7. PUTTING ON THE FULL ARMOUR OF GOD. “Put on the armour of God. . .stand against the devil’s schemes” Eph. 6:11.
As John Bunyan was battling in his life, Satan would set forth some people who had fallen away. John said that they would make him more watchful. But then Satan replied, “I may be too hard and clever for you. I will cool you oﬀ little by little so that you will scarcely notice it. And what do I care though it take seven years to chill your heart, if I can do it at last? Continual rocking will lull a crying child to sleep!” But John did not give up as the power of God came to his help. “SUBMIT. . .TO GOD. RESIST THE DEVIL, and he will F. . .L. . .E. . .E. . . .” Jas.4:7
From Genesis to Revelation we see Satan as a deceiver. Since these are the last days, Satan is whole heartedly deceiving men in various ways. Satan knows that he is having only a short time. Rev.12:12
Reasons Why Satan Deceives
1. THAT WE MAY DOUBT GOD’S WORD
“Did God really say, ‘you must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” Gen. 3:1.
2. THAT WE MAY BELIEVE SATAN’S WORD
“You will not surely die. . .your eyes will be opened.” Gen.
3. THAT WE MAY NOT BELIEVE IN GOD’S GOODNESS “For God knows that. . .you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” Gen. 3:5
4. THAT WE MAY NOT OBEY GOD’S WORD
“Then she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband.” Gen. 3:6
5. THAT WE MAY BE LED ASTRAY FROM CHRIST
“Just as Eve was deceived. . .may. . .be led astray from your devotion to Christ.” 2 Cor. 11:3
6. THAT WE MAY NOT LOVE THE TRUTH
“because they refused to love the truth. . .they will believe the lie.” 2 Thess 2:10,11
7. BECAUSE GOD PERMITS DECEPTION
“The Lord has put a lying spirit. . .the Lord has decreed disaster.”
2 Chron. 18:19–22
Areas of Deceptions
1. DECEPTION REGARDING GOD. “In the pride. . .you say, I am a god. . .you are a man and not a god. . . .” Ezek. 28:2
2. DECEPTION REGARDING JESUS. “For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus. . . .” 2 Cor.11:4
3. DECEPTION REGARDING THE HOLY SPIRIT. “. . .if you receive a diﬀerent spirit from the one you received. . . .”
2 Cor. 11:4
4. DECEPTION REGARDING THE GOSPEL. “. . .a diﬀerent gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.” 2 Cor. 11:4
5. DECEPTION REGARDING MIRACLES. “The work of
Satan displayed in all kinds. . .miracles. . . .” 2 Thess. 2:9
1. IN THE AREA OF PHYSICAL SICKNESS
“. . .crippled by spirit for eighteen years. She was bent. . .” Lk.
2. IN THE AREA OF SPIRITUAL WORSENING
“Then it goes and takes seven other spirits. . .that man is worse
. . . .” Lk.11:26
3. IN THE AREA OF OFFERING SACRIFICE
“but the sacriﬁce of pagans are oﬀered to demons not to God
. . . .” 1 Cor. 10:20
4. IN THE AREA OF COMMITTING SUICIDE
“It has often thrown him into ﬁre or water to kill him. . . .” Mk. 9:22
5. IN THE AREA OF PREDICTING FUTURE
“. . .slave girl who had a spirit. . .she predicted the future. . . .” Acts. 16:16
Means of Deceptions
1. THROUGH THE BELIEVERS. “Some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits. . . .” 1 Tim. 4:1
2. THROUGH THE TEACHERS. “Such teachings come through hypocritical liars. . . .” 1 Tim. 4:2
3. THROUGH THE DEMONS. “Some will. . .follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. . . .” 1Tim. 4:1
4. THROUGH THE TEACHINGS. “Such teachings come through hypocritical liars. . . .” 1 Tim. 4:2
5. THROUGH THE FALSEHOOD. “I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.” 1 Kings 22:22
1. BY LOVING THE .TRUTH. 2 Thes. 2:1011
2. BY WATCHING OUT. Lk. 21:8
3. BY THE SPIRIT’S GUIDANCE. Jn. 16:13
4. BY DISTINGUISHING THE SPIRITS. 1 Cor. 12:10
5. BY SINCERE DEVOTION TO CHRIST. 2 Cor. 11:3
6. BY BEING AWARE OF SATAN’S SCHEMES. 2 Cor. 2:11
7. BY PUTTING ON GOD’S FULL ARMOUR. Eph. 6:1112
When I read that Luc Jouret inspired mass suicide in 1994 resulting in, ﬁfty-two deaths; and David Koresh leading to the death of eighty people in 1995 and Jim Jones inspiring nine hundred and eleven people to death by cyanide in 1978 and more recently in
1997 Apple White leading thirty-eight suicide deaths. . .I feel like saying— “what a deception of these preachers?” But I was reminded that I am not better than them, but for God’s grace. We live in a world of deception. May the Lord preserve Us from self deception. Gal. 6:3
The Bible talks about the end time dictator called as the Beast— Antichrist! Lot of speculation is going on in the world about the Antichrist. It is quite possible that he is already born and active now in our present world.
Who Is This Antichrist?
1. One who comes in the last hour. 1 Jn. 2:18
2. Little horn predicated by Daniel. Dan. 7:8
3. The ruler who will come to destroy. Dan. 9:26
4. The man of lawlessness. 2 Thess. 2:3
5. The man doomed to destruction. 2 Thess. 2:3
6. The beast coming out of sea. Rev. 13:1
7. Gog, who was prophesied by Ezekiel. Ezek. 38:2
Activities of Antichrist
1. He makes war against the saints. Rev. 13:7
2. He will have authority over all people. Rev. 13:7
3. He will conﬁrm a covenant. Dan. 9:27
4. He sets himself as God in temple. 2 Thess. 2.4
5. He will do supernatural things. 2 Thess. 2:9
6. He will arrest the saints. Dan. 7:25
7. He will blaspheme God. Rev.13:6
8. He will hate Babylon and destroy it. Rev. 17:16
9. He will gather all for the war of Armageddon. Rev. 16:13-16
10. He works with Satan and the false prophet. Rev. 16:13; 13:4.
Facts about Antichrist
1. HE WILL BE A POLITICAL LEADER. Dan. 9:26
2. HE WILL BE WORSHIPPED BY MEN. Rev. 13:4
3. HIS NUMBER WILL BE 666. Rev. 13:18
4. HE WILL BE STERNFACED KING. Dan. 8:23
5. HE WILL BE A MASTER OF INTRIGUE. Dan. 8:23
6. HE WILL HAVE NO REGARD FOR GOD. Dan. 11:37
7. HE WILL BE GIVEN POWER TO RULE. Rev. 17:17
The Spirit of Antichrist
1. The spirit of LAWLESSNESS 2 Thess. 2:3.
2. The spirit of REBELLlON 2 Thess. 2:4.
3. The spirit of EXALTATION 2 Thess. 2:4.
4. The spirit of EVIL 2 Thess. 2:10.
5. The spirit of DECEPTION 2 Thess. 2:10.
6. The spirit of ABOMINATION Dan. 9:27.
7. The spirit of DEVASTATION Dan. 8:24
8. The spirit of SLANDERING Rev.13:6.
9. The spirit of NOT REMAINING WITH THE SAINTS. 1
10. The spirit that does not acknowledge JESUS COMING IN THE FLESH 1 Jn. 4:23.
I used to read with great interest about 666 the number of Antichrist. The World Bank number is 666. Australia’s national bank card’s have on them a logo of 666. A record album of a Rock group is titled 666. The ﬁlm Omen and its sequel was about antichrist and 666
. . . but I never had a revelation about the spirit of ANTICHRIST! Every spirit which is opposite of Christ is the spirit of antichrist! Should we not call “pride” as the spirit of antichrist in us? Then let’s get rid of the spirit of antichrist ﬁrst.
Salvation in general means rescuing someone from danger. The Greek word Soteria means deliverance. It also means escaping, protecting etc. Speciﬁcally salvation means bringing someone from the captivity of sin to freedom in God!
1. FROM OUR SINS. “He will save his people from their sins.” Mt. 1:21
2. FROM GOD’S WRATH. “How much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him.” Rom. 5:9
3. FROM DEVIL’S TRAP. “. . .escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive.” 2 Tim. 2:26
4. FROM SPIRITUAL DEATH. “. . .the One who could save him from death. . . .” Heb. 5:7
5. FROM THE EVIL AGE. “Who gave himself to rescue us from the Present evil age.” Gal. 1:4
6. FROM ETERNAL HELL. “Snatch others from the ﬁre and save them.” Jude. 1:23
7. FROM THE LAW. “But now, by dying. . .we have been released from the law. . .” Rom. 7:6
Good Things That Does not Save a Soul
1. BEING DEVOTED. “. . .there was a man named Cornelius. . .he and all his family were devout. . . .” Acts 10:12.
2. GOD-FEARING. “He and all his family were. . .God-fearing.” Acts 10:2
3. GIVING GENEROUSLY. “He gave generously to those in need.” Acts 10:2
4. PRAYING REGULARLY. “. . .and prayed to God regularly.” Acts 10:2
5. SEEING VISION. “. . .he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God.” Acts 10:3
6. BEING RIGHTEOUS. “. . .the centurion. He is a righteous. . . man.” Acts 10:22
7. GOOD TESTIMONY. “. . .who is respected by all the Jewish people.” Acts 10:22
Note: Though Cornelius was having the above seven good characteristics HE WAS NOT SAVED.
Proof: The angel said to Cornelius, “He(Peter) will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.” Acts. 11:14
Excuses People Give for Salvation
1. “I SHOULD DO MUCH WORK TO BE SAVED”
“God’s Word: “…not by works, so that no one can boast.” Eph. 2:9
2 “I LIVE RIGHTEOUSLY IN MY RELIGION”
God’s Word: “All our righteous acts are like ﬁlthy rags.” Is.64:6
3 “IT IS NOT ENOUGH IF I KEEP THE WHOLE LAW?” God’s Word: “For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.” Jas. 2:10.
4 “Suppose I fall after my salvation?”
God’s Word: “To him who is able to keep you from falling. . . .” Jude 1:24
5 “If I get saved, I may have to give up things that are precious to me”
God’s Word: “No man can serve two masters.” Mt. 6:24
6. “I would like to be saved, but it seems to be very diﬃcult” God’s Word: For he says, “In the time of my favour I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” 2 Cor. 6:2
7. “I want be saved one day. . .but not today!”
God’s Word: “Now is the day of salvation.” 2 Cor. 6:2
How to be Saved?
1. BY BELIEVING “…believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Rom. 10:9
2. BY GOD’S WORD “…the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation.” 2 Tim. 3:15
3. BY GOD’S GRACE “For it is by grace you have been saved
. . . .” Eph. 2:8
4. BY REPENTANCE “Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation. . . .” 2 Cor. 7:10
5. IN CHRIST’S NAME “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name. . . .” Acts 4:12
6. BY CONFESSION “That if you confess with your mouth. . . you will be saved.” Rom. 10:9–10
7. BY ENDURANCE “But he who stands ﬁrm to the end will be saved. Mt. 24:13
8. BY CHRIST’S LIFE “How much more. . .shall we be saved through his life!” Rom. 5:10
9. BY LOVING THE TRUTH “Love the truth and so be saved.” 2 Thess. 2:10
10. BY LIFE AND DOCTRINE “Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them. . .you will save. . .yourself. . . .”
1 Tim. 4:16
A man had his brain aﬀected owing to an illness of long time. In that condition he attacked another man and killed him. When sentence of death was pronounced on him, his parents explained the circumstances and appealed for mercy for him. And he was granted forgiveness for the sin of murder. But before his friends could reach him with the good news, he died of the very sickness by which he had murdered! We too can experience the salvation of the forgiveness of sins without the freedom from sins.
Religiosity is what majority of Christendom considers falsely as spirituality. But true spirituality is totally diﬀerent from our religiosity. Right now most Christians are under the garb of religiosity imagining to be spiritual. This is greatest spiritual deception. So what is SPIRITUALITY?
What is Spirituality?
1. To be mature in Christ. 1 Cor. 3:1
2. Being preoccupied with God. Ps. 73:25
3. To partake of divine nature. 2 Pet. 1:4
4. Bearing the fruit of the Spirit. Gal. 5:22,23
5. Sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 2 Cor. 11:3
6. Knowing God personally. Jn. 17:3
7. Doing all for God’s glory. 1Cor. 10:31
Seven Spiritual Things
1. Spiritual TRUTHS 1 Cor. 2:13.
2. Spiritual WORDS 1 Cor. 2:13.
3. Spiritual GIFTS 1 Cor. 14:1.
4. Spiritual BODY 1 Cor. 15:44.
5. Spiritual WISDOM Col. 1:9.
6. Spiritual HOUSE 1 Pet. 2:5.
7. Spiritual SACRIFICES 1 Pet. 2:5.
Seven Misundersanding of Spirituality
1. BEING RELIGIOUS “I see in every way you are very religious” Acts.17:22. Men of Athens were not spiritual though they were religious. Religiosity is not spirituality!
2. BEING ENTHUSIASTIC “A man ran. . .fell on his knees. .
. all these I have kept since I was a boy” Mk. 10:17, 20, 22. He was enthusiastic, but he went away from Jesus.
3. BEING ACTIVE “Martha was distracted by all the preparation that had to be made. . .” Lk. 10:40. She was engaged in activities(v.41). But that was not a mark of spirituality.
4. HAVING KNOWLEDGE “He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures” Acts.18:24. Apollos had Bible knowledge but that is not a mark of spirituality.
5. BEING EVANGELISTIC “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy. . . drive out demons and perform many miracles?” Mt. 7:22, 23. Doing evangelistic ministry is scriptural and yet that is not a mark of spirituality.
6. BEING GIFTED “Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait. . .I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly–mere infants in Christ” 1 Cor. 1:7; 3:1. Corinthians were ﬁlled with gifts but. . .they were not Spiritual.
7. BEING ZEALOUS “For I can testify about them, that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge” Rom.10:2. Israelites were zealous, but they were not spiritual!
Twelve Marks of Spirituality
1. Accept the things from God. 1 Cor.2:14
2. Make Judgments about all things. 1 Cor. 2:14,15
3. Restore the fallen one gently. Gal. 6:1
4. Minds set on what the Spirit desires. Rom. 8:5
5. To be one Spirit with the Lord. 1 Cor. 6:17
6. Be released from the law, Rom. 7:6
7. Consider all things rubbish for Christ’s sake. Phil. 3:8
8. To be cruciﬁed to the ﬂesh. Gal. 5:24
9. To be one mind with others. Mt. 18:19
10. To have a concern for others. Gal.2:10
11. To listen to the voice of the Lord. 1 Sam.3:9
12. To be taken up with the Lord himself. Lk. 10:39
Watchman Nee a man of God from China is a picture of true spirituality. His writings has blessed many. He had a motto in his life which is the secret of his spirituality. We close with that motto:
I WANT NOTHING FOR MYSELF; I WANT EVERYTHING FOR THE LORD. WATCHMAN NEE
Right now many wars are going on in this world. But the spiritual warfare is something diﬀerent! Our spiritual enemy is Satan and therefore we use spiritual weapons against him. Whether we are aware or not the fact remains that we are in the spiritual warfare right now!
What is Spiritual Warfare?
1. IT’S A WAR WITH OUR ENEMY
“Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” 1 Pet. 5:8
2. IT’S A WAR WITH EVIL FORCES
“For our struggle is not against ﬂesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Eph.6:12
3. IT INVOLVES SPIRITUAL WEAPONS
“The weapons we ﬁght with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.”
2 Cor. 10:4
4. IT’S A WAR AGAINST OUR SOUL
“Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.” 1
5. IT INVOLVES BINDING AND LOOSING
“I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Mt.18:18
6. IT INVOLVES LIKE MINDED BELIEVERS
“Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven:” Mt.18:19.
7. IT INVOLVES JESUS OUR INTERCESSOR
“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.” Lk. 22:31–32
The Spirital Enemy—Satan
1. SATAN IS A DEAFEATED ONE
Jesus said, “I saw Satan fall like lightening from heaven.” Lk.
2. SATAN IS NOT OMNIPRESENT
Satan said to the Lord, “From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it.” Job 1:7
3. SATAN IS NOT OMNISCIENT
“Therefore rejoice …he is ﬁlled with fury, because he knows that his time is short” Rev. 12:12
4. SATAN IS NOT OMNIPOTENT
“He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or
Satan and bound him for a thousand years.” Rev. 20:2
5. SATAN FLEES WHEN WE RESIST
“Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will ﬂee from you.” Jam. 4:7
Qualifications for Warfare
1. ENDURING HARDSHIP
“Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.” 2
2. NOT INVOLVING IN CIVILIAN AFFAIRS
“No-one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian aﬀairs. . . .”
2 Tim. 2:4
3. PLEASING HIS COMMANDING OFFICER
“Soldier. . .wants to please his commanding oﬃcer.” 2 Tim. 2:4
4. HAVING SELF DISCIPLINE
“I do not ﬁght like a man ﬁghting the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave. . . . 1 Cor. 9:26–27
5. FOLLOWING PERSONAL PROPHECIES
“The prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may ﬁght the good ﬁght.” 1Tim. 1:18
6. HOLDING ON TO FAITH
“you may ﬁght the good ﬁght holding on to faith. . . .”
1 Tim. 1:18–19
7. HAVING A GOOD CONSCIENCE
“you may ﬁght the good ﬁght holding on to. . .a good conscience
. . . .” 1 Tim. 1:18–19
Weapons of Spiritual Warfare
1. TRUTH. “Belt of truth buckled around your waist” Eph.
2. RIGHTEOUSNESS. “With the breastplate of righteousness in place. . . .” Eph. 6:14
3. READINESS. “And with your feet ﬁtted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.” Eph. 6:15
4. FAITH. “Take up the shield of faith.” Eph. 6:16
5. SALVATION. “Take the helmet of salvation.” Eph. 6:17
6. WORD OF GOD. “. . .the sword of the Spirit, which is word of God.” Eph. 6:17
7. LIGHT. “Let us. . .put on the armor of light.” Rom. 13:12
8. THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB. “They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb. . . .” Rev. 12:11
9. PERSONAL TESTIMONY. “They overcame him. . .by the word of their testimony. . . .” Rev. 12:11
10. SUBMISSION. “Submit yourselves, then to God. Resist the devil. . . .” Jas. 4:7
There was a godly woman in the nineteenth Century named Hannah Whitall Smith. She was a happy passenger in the chariot of God, always in the van and never a despondent straggler, in the rear! She challenged believers for a spiritual warfare with these words:
“Under the leadership of a Captain, who had never been foiled in battle, how could you dream of defeat? And yet, to many of you, how diﬀerent has been your real experience! Your victories have been few and ﬂeeting, your defeats many and disastrous. . .you have had perhaps a clear understanding of doctrinal truths, but. . . you know that your experience is not a scriptural experience!.”
Let Luke 10:19 and Romans16:20 be true in our lives.
On October 31, 1517, Martin Luther nailed his ninety-ﬁve Theses to the door of Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany. And the ﬁrst of the ninety-ﬁve theses is “Our Lord and Master Jesus Christ, in saying ‘Repent ye,’ etc. intended ‘that the whole life of believers should be repentance!” The ﬁrst message of N.T by John the Baptist was on repentance! The ﬁrst message of our Lord Jesus was also to repent. So, let’s study on Repentance to apply it to our lives.
What is Repentance
There are eight various words that have been used for Repentance in original Hebrew and Greek languages:
1. Nacham—meaning, to sigh, breathe strongly.
Eg. Gen. 6:6, “The Lord was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was ﬁlled with pain.”
2. Shuwb—to turn back.
1 King. 8:47. “and if they have a change of heart in the land where they are held captive. . . .”
3. Nocham—to have compassion.
Hos. 13:14. “ I will have. . .compassion.”
4. Nichum—to have heart changed. Hos. 11: 8,
. . .my heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused.”
5. Metanoeo— to change the mind for the better morally, to change attitude toward sin.
Lk.13:3. “I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.”
6. Metamelomai—to reget consequences of sin; not for the cause.
Mt. 27:3, “When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders.”
7. Metanoia—a real change of mind and attitude toward sin and it’s cause, not merely consequences
Mt.3:8, “Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.”
8. Ametameletos—meaning, irrevocable.
Rom. 11:29, “for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.”
Ways to Repentane
1. HEARING GOD’S WORD
“When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put sackcloth and fasted. . . .” 1 Kings 21:27
2. DESPISING SELF
“Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes. . . .” Job. 42:6
3. ADMITTING SIN
“I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.” Lk.15:18
4. REALISING UNWORTHINESS
“I am no worthy to be called son. . .so he got up and went to his father.” Lk. 15:18-20
5. CONFESSING SIN
“So I turned. . .and in sack cloth and ashes. . .to. . .my God and confessed.” Dan. 9:3–4
6. THE REVELATION OF SIN
“. . .I am a man of unclean lips. . .and your sin atoned for.” Is.
7. BEING HONEST
“I will not,” he, answered, but later he changed his mind and went. Mt. 21:29
8. THE FAITH OF SINNERS
“. . .but the tax collectors and the prostitues did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent.” Mt. 21:32
9. THE KINDNESS OF GOD
“Or do you. . .not realizing that God’s kindness leads you towards repentance?” Rom. 2:4
10. THE MIRACLES OF GOD
“. . .If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented. . . .” Mt.11:21
11. BY GODLY SORROW
“Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation.”
2 Cor. 7:10
12. THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD
“Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.” Rev. 3:19
Significance of Repentance
1. LEADS TO HUMILITY
“Ahab tore his clothes, . . .fasted. . .has humbled himself. . . .”
1 Kings 21:27:29
2. LEADS TO JUSTIFICATION
“But the tax collector. . .went home justiﬁed before God.” Lk.18:1314
3. LEADS TO SELF JUDGEMENT
“The tax collector said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’” Lk.18:13
4. LEADS TO RECONCILIATION
“50 he. . .went to his father. . .said. . .‘Father, I have sinned. .
. .’ . . .they began to celebrate.” Lk. 15:2024
5. LEADS TO REJOICING
“There is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” Lk. 15:10
6. LEADS TO SPIRITUAL RESURRECTION
“For this son of mine was dead and is alive again.” Lk. 15:24
7. LEADS TO SALVATION
“Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation.”
2 Cor. 7:10
8. PUTS FORTH THE DISASTER
“1 will not bring this disaster in his day, but. . .in the days of his son.” 1 Kings 21:29
9. ESTABLISHES THE CHURCH
“If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.” Rev. 2:5 and 1:20. Lampstand is Church.
10. LEADS TO ANOINTlNG
“You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore
God, . . .anointing. . . .” Heb. 1:9
11. PRODUCES FRUIT
“Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.” Mt. 3:8
12. GLORIFIES GOD
“they refused to repent and glorify him.” Rev. 16:9
13. LEADS TO FORGIVENESS OF SINS
“And so John came. . .repentance for the forgiveness of sins.” Mk.1:4; Lk.17:3
14. RESERVES FROM PERISHING
“But unless you repent, you too will all perish.” Lk. 13:3
15. LEADS TO A NEW LIFE
“Repent and get a new heart and a new spirit.” Ezek. 18:3031
Facts about Repentance
1. Repentance is God’s work. Acts.11:18
2. It is God’s command. Acts.17:30
3. God waits in for repentance. 2 Pet. 3:9
4. God gives time for repentance. Rev. 2:21
5. Repentance comes before believing. Mk.1:15
6. Repentance leads to Spiritual activities. 2 Cor. 7:11
7. There is a limitation to the Repentance that God gives.
Heb. 6:6; 12:17
Having studied on Repentance, let it not be a mere theory. I remember a solemn warning in the story of Pilgrim’s progress. Christian comes to the interpreter, who shows Christian the things which would help him in his spiritual Journey. They both go to a very dark room. Christian sees a sad looking man in an iron cage, who says,
“I am a man of despair,” he sighed, “shut up in it as in this cage. I have so HARDENED my heart I CANNOT REPENT!” May our whole life be a life of REPENTANCE!
Once a man of God on arriving India from a foreign tour was going through the customs check. Thinking that the customs oﬃcer might charge unnecessarily, he tried to hide an electronic gadget in the suitcase. Just at that time he heard the Lord speaking to him, “In this country I have no lack for money but I do lack HONEST MEN. . .” God in the Bible also places topmost importance on honesty. So now let’s study this subject!
Meaning of Honesty
The dictionary meaning is “cheatless person.” Whereas in the Bible the root meaning of the word honesty is- ‘the sun’s ray’—‘Judged by sunlight.’ Also may mean–
4. NO LlERev.14:5.
5. WALK IN THE LlGHT1 Jn.1:7.
Test of Honesty
God expects, ﬁrst of all, honesty in men. And he examines it by questioning them:
1. ADAM. “Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?” Gen. 3:11
2. CAIN. The Lord said to Cain, ‘’Where is your brother Abel?” Gen. 4:9
3. JACOB. “What is your name?” “Jacob” he answered. Gen. 32:27,
30 “Jacob” ﬁguratively means, Deceiver!
4. SAMARITAN WOMAN. “Go, call your husband and come back.” Jn. 4:16
5. BARTIMAEUS. “What do you want me to do for you?” Mk. 10:51
Importance of Honesty
1. It ENABLES us to come near to God. “Let us draw near to
God with a sincere heart.” Heb. 10:22
2. It is a FOUNDATION to fellowship. “But if we walk in the light. . .we have fellowship with one another.” 1 Jn. 1:7
3. It leads to PURIFICATION of sin. “If we walk in the light. the blood of Jesus, his Son, puriﬁes us from all sin.” 1 Jn. 1:7
4. It BRINGS the Lord near to us. “The Lord is near. . .to all who call on him in truth.” Ps. 145:18
5. It brings DELIGHT to the Lord. “The Lord abhors dishonest scales, but accurate weights are his delight.” Prov. 11:1
6. It is God’s DESIRE for us. “Surely you desire truth in the inner parts.” Ps. 51:6
7. It leads to GUIDANCE. “The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.”
8. It leads to STABILITY. “Who speaks the truth from his heart. . . will never be shaken.” Ps. 15:2,5
9. It makes one to dwell in the CHURCH. “Who may dwell in your sanctuary?. . .who speaks the truth from his heart.” Ps. 15:12
10. It is a PROTECTION.“May Integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope is in you.” Ps. 25:21
When We Are Not Honest
1. Satan ﬁlls lie in the heart. Acts 5:2,3
2. We test the Spirit of the Lord. Acts 5:89
3. We worship in vain. Mt.15:89
4. We deceive ourselves. 1 Jn. 1:8
5. We make God a liar. 1 Jn. 1:10
6. We become Pharisees. Mt. 23:2728
7. We will not be saved. 2 Thess. 2:10
Examples of Honesty
1. JESUS CHRIST. “We know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. . . .” Mt. 22:16
2. SAMUEL. “Testify against me in the presence of the Lord and
His anointed. . .whom have I cheated?” 1 Sam.12:3
3. NATHANAEL. Jesus said of him, “Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false.” Jn. 1:47
4. PAUL. “For the appeal we make does not spring from error or inpure motives. . . .” 1 Thess. 2:3
5. 1,44,000 people. “No lie was found in their mouths.” Rev. 14:5
Once I had given a bedspred which belongs to our church to a visiting brother. After some days my elder enquired me about it as to whom I gave. I named a brother and said that he had given. The following day in his presence I was again enquired. I was beating around the bush. Finally I said, “we both gave!” Later I went home and said to my elder, “It was I who gave the bed-sheet!” I really discovered, how much dishonesty and evil was in me that day! Ever since I am working consciously towards—Honesty!
1. Being sure of what we hope for
2. And certain of what we do not see!
There cannot be a better deﬁnition than this. As it is the deﬁnition from God’s Word itself, Hebrews 11:1. Now let us study this wonderful, yet practical subject—FAITH!
Facts about Faith
1. If we are without faith it will be Impossible to please God.
2. The righteous will live by his faith or faithfulness. Hab. 2:4
3. If we reject faith we will shipwreck of our faith. 1Tim. 1:19
4. If we are eager for money, we will wander from the faith.
1 Tim. 6:10
5. If our faith is not accompanied by action, it is dead. Jam.2:17
6. Our faith is the shield which can extinguish the ﬂaming arrows of the devil. Eph. 6:16
7. If we lack faith, Jesus will not do many miracles. Mt. 13:58
8. Great faith is expressed if we have an attitude of submission.
9. Jesus is astonished when he sees great faith. Mt. 8:10
10. Everything that does not come by faith is sin. Rom. 14:23
Ways to Faith
1. LOOKING UNTO JESUS. Let us ﬁx our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith.” Heb.12:2
2. THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF JESUS. “. . .through the righteousness of. . .Jesus Christ have received a faith.” 2 Pet1:1
3. THE PRAYER OF JESUS. “I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail.” Lk. 22:32
4. THE SURETY OF HOPE. Now faith is being. . .sure of what we hope. . .” Heb.11:1.
5. THE CERTAINTY OF UNSEEN. “Now faith is being. . . certain of what we do not see.” Heb.11:1
6. PRAYING SPECIFICALLY. The apostles said to the lord, ‘Increase our faith!” Lk.17:5
7. HEARING THE MESSAGE. “Faith comes from hearing the message the Word of Christ.” Rom.10:17
8. PERSUADING THE PROMISE. “. . .strengthened in his faith being fully persuaded that. . .God. . .promised.” Rom.
9. THE GIFT OF THE SPIRIT. “. . .kinds of gifts. . .faith by the same Spirit!” 1 Cor.12:4,9
10. THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT. . . .the fruit of the Spirit is faithfulness. . . .” Gal.5:22
Blessings of Faith
1. JUSTIFICATION. “. . .the one who justiﬁes those who have faith. . . .” Rom. 3:26
2. COMPLETE HEALING. “. . .the faith. . .that has given the complete healing. . . .” Act. 3:16
3. PROMISED SPIRIT. “. . .by faith we might receiving the promise of the Spirit.” Gal. 3:14
4. SALVATION. “. . .it is by grace you have bee saved through faith. . . .” Eph. 2:8
5. SANCTIFICATION. “. . .for he puriﬁed their hearts by faith.” Act.15:9
6. DIVINE LOVE. “. . .Love, which comes from a sincere faith.”
7. GREAT ASSURANCE. “Those who have. . . g r e a t assurance in their faith in Christ.” 1 Tim. 3:13
8. GOD’S PRESENCE. “. . .draw near to God with. . .full assurance of faith.” Heb. 10:22
9. VICTORIOUS LIFE. “This is the victory that has over come the world, even our faith.” 1 Jn.5:4
10. EVER POSSIBILITY. “Everything is possible for him who believes.” Mk. 9:23
Faith in Action
In Hebrews 11 we see faith in action—
1. By faith we UNDERSTAND. v. 3
2. By faith we OFFER. v. 4
3. By faith we BUILD. v. 7
4. By faith we OBEY. v. 8
5. By faith we BLESS. v. 20
6. By faith we WORSHIP. v. 21
7. By faith we SPEAK. v. 22
8. By faith we are NOT AFRAID. v. 23
9. By faith we PERSEVERE. v. 27
10. By faith we SUFFER. v.3536
Hindrance to Faith
1. DOUBT. “If you have faith and do not doubt. . .you can do. . . .” Mt. 21:21
2. WORRY. “. . .O you of little faith. . .do not worry. . . .” Mt. 6:3031.
3. FALSE KNOWLEDGE.“. . .falsely called knowledge. . .have wandered from the faith!” 1 Tim. 6:20,21.
4. FEAR.“. . .he was afraid. . .you of little faith. . . .” Mt. 14:3031
5. LIVING SIGHT. “We live by faith, not by sight.” 2 Cor. 5:7
A story is said about prayer meeting for rain. One father and his little son came out of their home to proceed to the prayer meeting. Just then the son rushed inside his home leaving the father in suspense. Then came the son with a smile and an umbrella! “Daddy, we are going to the prayer meeting for rain. God will answer and the rains will come down, so I brought the umbrella!” That’s simple faith! Let the Lord increase our faith.
We are living in the days of MIXTURE! COMPROMISE! CONFUSION! It is only wise to live a life of separation. Yes, separation without being a Pharisee and holier–than–attitude! The best example is to see the Lord Jesus who called and lived for a life of separation.
What is Separation?
Separation can be explained in the following words:
1. CONSECRA TION. “The lord said consecrate to me. . . .” Ex.13:1–2
2. DISTINGUISH. “What else will distinguish me and your people. . . .” Ex. 33:16
3. NOT ASSOCIATING. “Do not associate with these nations.” Josh. 23:7
4. NOT TO MAKE TREATY. “Make no treaty with them,. . . .” Deut. 7:2
5. NOT TO BE YOKED. “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers.” 2 Cor. 6:14
6. SANCTIFIED. “I sanctify myself, that they. . .be. . .sanctiﬁed.” Jn. 17:17
7. TO BE HOLY. “You are a people holy to the Lord your God.” Deut. 7:6
O.T. Teaching on Separation
God in the Old Testament taught the picture of separation in various ways:
1. IN CREATION. “God separated the light from the darkness.” Gen.1:4; see 2 Cor. 4:6
2. SICKNESS. “. . .he remains unclean he must live outside the camp.” Lev. 13:46
3. IN REPRODUCTION. “Do not mate diﬀerent kinds of animal.” Lev. 19:19
4. IN SOWING. “Do not plant your ﬁeld with two kinds of seed.” Lev. 19:19
5. IN CLOTHING. “Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.” Lev. 19:19
6. IN MIRACLES. “. . .darkness covered all Egypt. . .yet all the
Israelites had light.” Ex. 10:22–23
7. IN EXODUS. “. . .the Lord. . .bring them out of Egypt. . . .” Ex. 12:42
N.T Teaching on Separation
1. FROM THE WORLD. “You do not belong to the world. . . chosen you out. . . .” Jn. 15:19
2. FROM THE SINNERS. “Such a high priest. . .set apart from sinners.” Heb. 7:26
3. FROM UNBELIEVERS. “Do not be yoked with unbelievers. .
.be separate.” 2 Cor. 6:14, 17
4. BACKSLIDDEN BELIEVER. “You must not associate with. . .a brother. . .immoral.” 1 Cor. 5:11
5. DISOBEDIENT BELIVER. “If anyone does not obey. . . . Do not associate. . . .” 2 Thess. 3:14
6. WHO CAUSES DIVISION. “. . .who cause divisions. . .keep away from them.” Rom. 16:17
7. FROM BABYLON. “Come out of her, my people, so that. . . .” Rev.18:4
Purposes of Separation
1. TO HOLD FAST TO THE LORD. Josh. 23:8–7
2. TO LOVE THE LORD OUR GOD. Josh. 23:11–12
3. TO FOLLOW THE LORD. Deut. 7:3–4
4. TO BE STRONG AND EAT THE GOOD. Ezra. 9:12
5. TO DO HIS WILL. Ezra. 10:11
6. TO TEACH AND TO WARN. 2 Thess. 3: 14,15
7. TO ESCAPE FROM SIN AND PLAGUES. Rev. 18:4
Separation does not always mean ISOLATION but the attitude of separation is really an INSULATION. I recall one godly parent who knew that their children’s attitude at the school with friends during the day would bent towards the world. And they by their godly inﬂuence at home would bring it towards the “Lord.” Our call is to inﬂuence people for the Lord. But when the pull from their side is stronger, that’s the time to leave the rope in the tug of war!
Submission means to be under obedience; to be under and to submit self to etc; If obedience is ACTION then submission is an ATTITUDE! True submission involves obedience!
Who Should Submit to Whom?
1. CHILDREN TO THEIR PARENTS. Eph. 6:1
2. WIVES TO THEIR HUSBANDS. Eph. 5:22
3. THE CHURCH TO CHRIST. Eph. 5:24
4. SERVANTS TO THEIR MASTERS.1 Pet. 2:18
5. BELIEVERS TO THEIR LEADERS. Heb.13:17
6. EVERYONE TO THEIR AUTHORITIES. Rom.13:1
7. ALL TO GOD. Jas. 4:7
Facts about Submission
1. God has put everything under the feet of Jesus. 1 Cor. 15:27
2. God has not subjected the world to come under the angels.
3. Jesus himself will be made subject to God who put everything under him. 1 Cor. 15:28
4. Though Jesus was the Son of God, yet he was obedient to his parents. Lk. 2:51
5. When Paul realised his unsubmissive spirit he repented immediately. Acts. 23:4,5
6. Paul urges to submit and to work and labour. 1 Cor. 16:16
7. We should submit to every authority for the sake of the Lord. 1 Pet. 2:13
8. The older women ought to train the younger women to subject to their husbands. Tit. 2:5
9. An overseer manage his own family well and see that his children obey him. 1 Tim. 3:4
10. Submission must be maintained, so that God’s name and his teaching may not be slandered. 1 Tim. 6:1
Significance of Submission
1. IT IS FITTING
“Wives, submit to your husbands, as is ﬁtting in the Lord.” Col. 3:18
2. IT PLEASES THE LORD
“Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the
Lord.” Col. 3:20
3. IT LEADS FURTHER
Paul asked the Lord, “what shall I do Lord? And the Lord led him further. Acts 22:10
4. IT HEALS THE SICK
“sick should call the elders. . .to pray over him will make the sick person well.” Jas. 5:14,15
5. IT LEADS TO GREAT FAITH
“for I myself am a man under authority, Jesus. . .said such great faith.” Mt. 8:9,10
6. UNBELIEVERS ARE WON
“Be submissive. . .they may be won over without words by the behaviour. . . .” 1 Pet. 3:1–2
7. KEPT UNDER WATCH
“Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you.” Heb.13:17
Results of Not Submitting
1. Ham was cursed. Gen.9:22–25
2. Miriam got leprosy. Num.12:1–10
3. Korah was swallowed by earth. Num.16:27–33
4. 14,700 People got perished. Num.16:41–49
5. It is rebellion against God. Rom.13:2–3
6. The unsubmissive were killed. Lk.20:9–16
7. Fear and punishment. Rom.13:3–5
Submission to Spiritual Leaders
1. OBEY YOUR SPIRITUAL LEADERS. Heb.13:17
2. SUBMIT TO THEIR AUTHORITY. Heb.13;17
3. OBEY TO MAKE THEM JOYOUS. Heb.13:17
4. LET THEM LAY HANDS. 1Tim.4:14
5. LET THEM PROPHESY OVER YOU. 1Tim. 4:14;1:18
6. LET THEM WATCH OVER YOU. Heb.13:17
7. LET THEM PRAY FOR THE SPIRIT. Acts. 9:17
8. LET THEM BAPTISE YOU. Acts. 9:18
9. LET THEM COMMISSION YOU. Act.13:3
10. LET THEM GUIDE YOU. 1Tim.5:17
11. LET THEM REBUKE YOU. Ps.141:5
12. FOLLOW THEM AS THEY FOLLOW CHRIST. Heb.13:7;
1 Cor. 11:1
A story is said about a boy whose father asked him to “sit down.”
But the boy refused. So his father raised his voice aloud saying, “SIT DOWN!” His son after sitting down, said,” Daddy, though I am sitting. . .inside I’m STILL STANDING!” Yes, that “still standing” is the unsubmissive spirit! If the son was sitting INWARDLY also—that would have been SUBMISSION! We can outwardly be “obedient” but not submissive inwardly! May the Lord help our spirits in submission to his will.
Prayer is communion with God and is expressed by the words of our lips and our spirits. Based on 1 Thessalonians 5:17, prayer is a breath of a believer! Let’s prayerfully consider this subject.
A conversation between the heavenly Father and his child Lk.3:21,22. So Prayer is—
1. TO PRAISE. “I praise the Most High. . .who lives forever.” Dan. 4:34
2. TO CONFESS. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us.” 1 Jn.1:9
3. INTERCEED. “I urge. . .intercession be made for everyone.”
1 Tim. 2:1
4. TO REQUEST. “. . .but in everything. . .present your requests to God.” Phil. 4:6
5. TO THANK. “Let us come before him with thanksgiving.” Ps. 95:2
Facts about Prayer
1. PRAY IN JESUS NAME. “You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” Jn.14:14
2. BY FAITH. “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” Mt. 21:22
3. BY HUMILlTY. “If my people. . .will humble themselves. . . then will I hear. . . .” 2 Chr. 7:14–15
4. BY SPIRIT. “. . .build yourselves. . .pray in the Holy Spirit.” Jude.1:20
5. ACCORDING TO HIS WILL. “If we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” 1 Jn.5:14
6. WITHOUT ANXIETY. “Do not be anxious about anything. . . present your request to God.” Phil.4:6
7. WITH THANKSGIVING. “with thanksgiving, present your request to God.” Phil.4:6
8. BY REMAINING IN HIM. “If you remain in me and my words in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.” Jn.15:7
9. BY WATCHFULNESS. “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.” Mt. 26:41
10. WITH ONENESS.“. . .agree about anything you ask for, it will be done. . . .” Mt.18:19
Blessings of Prayer
1. FORGIVENESS OF SINS. “I will confess my transgressions
. . .you forgave the guilt of my sin.” Ps. 32:5
2. DELIVERANCE FROM TROUBLES. “The Lord lead him, he saved him out of all his troubles” Ps.34:6
3. PERSONAL HEALING “. . .pray for each other so that you may be healed.” Jas.5:16
4. REVELATION OF WORD. “keep asking that the God…may give the Spirit of wisdom and revelation.” Eph.1:17
5. GOOD GIFTS. “If you, then,. . .how much more will
Prayer your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him” Mt. 7:11
6. GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. “your Father in heaven give the
Holy Spirit to those who ask him” Lk. 11:13
7. DIVINE WISDOM. “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God.” Jas. 1:5
8. SOULS OF MEN. “Ask of me and I will make the nations your inheritance.” Ps. 2:8
9. RESTORATION. “After Job had prayed for his friends, the
Lord…gave him twice.” Job. 42:10
10. PEACEFUL LIFE. “Prayers. . .be made. . .that we may live peaceful and quiet lives. . . .” 1 Tim. 2:1–2
Hindrances to Prayer
1. SIN IN HEART
“If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.” Ps. 66:18
2. IDOLS IN HEART
“These men have set up idols in their hearts,. . .should I let them enquire of me at all?” Ezk.14:3
3. NEGLECTING THE WORD
“If anyone turns a deaf ear to the law, even his prayers are detestable.” Pro. 28:9
“He who doubts should not think he will receive anything from the Lord.” Jas. 1:6,7
5. WRONG MOTlVES
“When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, . . .pleasures.” Jas. 4:3
“You rebelled. . .he paid no attention to your weeping and turned a deaf ear to you.” Deut. 1:43,45
7. IGNORING ADVICE
“Since you ignored all my advice. . .I will not answer.” Prov. 1:25,28
Prayer Life of Jesus
1. EARLY MORNING
Very early in the morning. . .Jesus got up. . .he prayed.” Mk.1:35
2. WHOLE NIGHT
“. . .those days Jesus. . .spent the night praying to God.” Lk.6:12
3. AT THE BAPTISM
“Jesus was baptized. . .and as he was praying. . . .” Lk. 3:21
4. IN PRIVATE
“Once when Jesus was praying in private.” Lk. 9:18
5. FACE CHANGED
“As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed.” Lk.9:29
6. OFTEN WITHDREW
“But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.” Lk.5:16
7. FOR PETER
“But I have prayed for you, Simon. . . .” Lk. 22:32
8. WITH THANKSGIVING
“Father, I thank you that you have heard me.” Jn.11:41
9. WITH TEARS
“He oﬀered up prayers. . .with loud cries and tears.” Heb. 5:7
10. REVERENTIAL SUBMISSION
“He was heard because of his reverent submission.” Heb.5:7
11. WITH ASSUARANCE
“Father…I knew that you always hear me.” Jn.11:41–42
12. MORE EARNESTLY “And being in anguish, He prayed more earnestly. . . .” Lk.
13. KNEELING DOWN
“He withdrew. . .beyond them, knelt down and prayed.” Lk. 22:41
14. FATHER’S WILL
“Father, not my will, but yours be done.” Lk. 22:42
One prayerful sister led a stewardess to Christ, but before she could say much more the stewardess’s ﬂight was called. So, she quickly gave a book by Francis Shaeﬀer and prayed: Lord, please put a Christian on the ﬂight to follow her up!”
As the ﬂight took oﬀ the stewardess began reading the book during a pause in her duty. A passenger glanced at the title of the book asked her, “What do you think of the book?” The stewardess replied, “Well, I’ve only been a believer a few minutes. So I really can’t understand it!” The passenger said, “Can I help you? I’m Francis Shaeﬀer!” Simple prayer was wonderfully answered!
The biblical idea of temptation is primarily of putting someone to test. This testing is done for a good purpose of proving or exposing our character. Temptation is not to be seen in a negative aspect but as something which is “common to man.” Then let’s begin studying this practical subject in that light!
Source of Temptation
1. SATAN “Jesus was led to be tempted by the devil.” Mt. 4:1
2. DESIRES “but each one is tempted. . .by his own evil desire
. . .” Jas. 1:14
3. SINNERS “. . .if sinners entice you, do not give in to them” Prov. 1:10.
Results of Yielding to Temptation
1. DECEPTION “Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning
. . . .” 2 Cor. 11:3
2. LED ASTRAY “. . .your minds. . .be led astray from your. . . pure devotion to Christ.” 2 Cor.11:3
3. DISOBEDIENCE “. . .ate from the tree about which I
commanded you, ‘you must not eat.’” Gen.3:17
4. BECAME SINNER “. . .the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.” 1 Tim. 2:14
5. UNFRUITFUL “. . .the desires for other things come in making it unfruitful.” Mk. 4:19
6. FOOLISHNESS “. . .fall into temptation. . .into many foolish. . . . 1 Tim. 6:9
7. DESTRUCTION “temptation. . .that plunge men into ruin and destruction.” 1Tim. 6:9
8. SPIRITUAL DEATH “. . .for when you eat of it you will surely die.” Gen. 2:17
9. GOD’S NAME BLASPHEMED “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles.” Rom. 2.24
10. SPIRIT IS GRIEVED “Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of
God …Get rid of. . . .” Eph.4:30,31
How to Overcome Temptation
1. BY RESOLVING “But Daniel resolved not to deﬁle himself
. . . .” Dan.1:8
2. BY FLEEING “But you, man of God, ﬂee from all this. . . .”
3. BY TURNING AWAY “Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas.” 1 Tim 6:20
4. BY AVOIDING “Avoid godless chatter, because. . .more ungodly.” 2 Tim. 2:16
5. BY ESCAPING “She caught him by his cloak. . . . But he left
. . .ran out of the house.” Gen. 39:12
6. BY MAKING COVENANT “I made a covenant with my eyes. . .not to look. . . .” Job. 31:1
7. BY GUIDANCE “For lack of guidance. . .but many advisers
. . . .” Prov. 11:14
8. BY BEING FIRM “As surely as the Lord lives,. . .I will not accept. . . .” 2 Kings 5:16
9. BY INDWELLING WORD “The law of his God is in his heart. . . .” Ps. 37:31
10. BY ENDURING PATIENTLY “Since. . .endure patiently. .
. .” Rev. 3:10
11. BY WATCHING AND PRAYING “Watch and pray. . .will not fall into temptation. . . .” Mt. 26:41
12. BY DISCIPLINING BODY “No, I beat my boy make it my slave. . . .” 1 Cor. 9:27
Temptations of Jesus
1. Jesus was tempted to fulﬁll LAWFUL NEED in an UNLAWFUL METHOD. Mt. 4:3
2. Jesus was tempted to claim SPIRITUAL WORD in an
UNSPIRITUAL SITUATION. Mt. 4:6
3. Jesus was tempted to oﬀer WORTHY WORSHIP to an UNWORTHY PERSON. Mt. 4:9,10
A little girl once told her mother, “When the devil comes knocking at the door,” she said, “I don’t answer it. I send Jesus to the door.” And that is exactly the way to take care of it. Let us send Jesus to the door of temptation! 1Cor.10:13 and Mt. 6:13.
Fasting is abstaining from food for a purpose. When the disciple of John asked Jesus the reason why His disciples were not fasting, He replied,”. . .when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast” Mt. 9:15. There are 35 examples of fasting in the Bible. Now let’s study this neglected subject!
1. IT’S GOD’S COMMAND . . .declares the Lord, “return to me. . .with fasting. . . .” Joel. 2:12
2. GOD HAS CHOSEN “. . .fasting I have chosen. . . .” Is.58:6
3. EXAMPLE OF JESUS “After fasting forty days and nights,
. . . .” Mt. 4:2
4. EXAMPLE OF THE CHURCH “. . .in each church. . .with prayer and fasting. . . .” Acts. 14:23
5. TO PRAY WITH “. . .pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting. . . .” Dan. 9:3
6. TO WORSHIP GOd “. . .but worshipped night and day, fasting and praying.” Lk. 2:37
7. FOR THE LEADING OF THE SPIRIT “. . .and fasting, the
Holy Spirit said. . . .” Acts. 13:2
Types of Fasting
1. ABSOLUTE FAST No eating nor drinking. “He. . .did not eat or drink anything” Act. 9:9.
2. NORMAL FAST No eating but can drink water. “He ate nothing. . .he was hungry” Lk. 4:2.
3. PARTIAL FAST Eating something light. “I ate no choice food. . .” Dan.10:3.
4. SPIRITUAL FAST Abstaining from evil; do good. “. . .the kind of fasting. . .oppressed free” Is. 58:3,6.
5. HYPOCRITICAL FAST Fasting to show others.
“When you fast. . .as the hypocrites. . .to show men. . .” Mt. 6:16.
6. PHARISAICAL FAST Fasting to impress God. “God. . . . I fast twice. . .” Lk.18:1112.
7. REAL FAST Fasting before the Father.
“You are fasting. . .to your Father” Mt. 6:18.
How to Fast?
1. FAST PERSONALY “ I. . .before the Lord ate no bread and drank no water” Deut. 9:18.
2. AS A CHURCH “. . .in each church and with prayer and fasting” Acts14:23.
3. LED BY THE SPIRIT “. . .led by the Spirit. . .he ate nothing. “ Lk.4: 12.
4. PRAYERFULLY “. . .in fasting… I prayed to the Lord my
God. . .” Dan. 9:3,4.
5. WITH THE WORD “. . .fasting and they stood. . .and read from the Book” Neh. 9:1,3.
6. WITH REPENTANCE “. . .return to me. . .with fasting and weeping” Joel. 2:12.
7. WHOLE HEARTEDLY “. . .with all your heart, with fasting
. . .” Joel. 2:12.
8. FAST SECRETLY“When you fast. . .Father, who is unseen. . . in secret” Mt.6:1718.
9. WITH HUMILITY “. . .humbled myself with fasting. . .” Ps.35:13.
10. WITH CONFESSION“. . .fasting and. . .in confession. . .” Neh. 9:1, 3.
Result of Fasting
1. MEEKNESS“. . .fasted. . .and went around meekly” 1 kings
2. HUMIUTY “fasted. . .he has humbled himself. . . 1 kings
3. REPENTANCE “Do not. . .taste they turned from their evil ways” Jonah 3:7, 10.
4. DISTRUCTION AVERTED “When God saw. . .did not bring. . .the destruction” Jonah 3.10.
5. HELP FROM THE LORD“. . .a fast. . .to seek help from the
Lord” 2 Chro. 20:3,4.
6. SENT FOR MINISTRY “. . .they had fasted. . .sent them oﬀ” Acts13:3.
7. RECEIVED THE WORD “. . .without eating. . .he wrote. . . the words. . .” Ex. 34:28.
The Lord called Rees Howells to a day of prayer and fasting. which was something new to him. Used, as he was, to a comfortable home and four good meals a day, it came as a shock to realize that it meant no dinner, and he was agitating about it. Supposing God asked him to do it every day!
When midday came he was on his knees in his bedroom, but there was no prayer that next hour. “I didn’t know such a lust was in me” he said afterwards. “My agitation was the proof of the grip it had on me. If the thing had no power over me, why did I argue about it?”
He didn’t take dinner for many days after that, but spent the hour with God. Where there is a failure to deal with this lust for food, the life is opened for attack in other areas!
The root word of praise means—to be clear, to shine, etc; The ﬁrst instance of praise is mentioned in Genesis14:20. And the word “praise” comes 243 times in the Bible. Let’s ask the Spirit’s help to study on Praise.
1. GREAT IS THE LORD “Great is the Lord, and most worthy of praise” Ps. 48:1.
2. WORTHY IS THE LAMB ”Worthy is the Lamb…to receive praise” Rev. 5:12.
3. FOR HIS WORDS “In God, whose word I praise” Ps. 56:4.
4. ACTS OF POWER “Praise him, for his acts of power” Ps. 150:2.
5. WE HAVE BREATH “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord” Ps.150:6.
6. IT PLEASES HIM “I will praise. . .This will please the Lord” Ps. 69:30–31.
7. FOR GIVING WISDOM “I. . .praise You. . .You have given wisdom” Dan. 2:23.
Who Should Praise God?
1. GOD’S PEOPLE. Ps. 79:13
2. THE RIGHTEOUS. Ps. 140:13
3. GOD FEARING. Ps.22:23
4. GOD’S SERVANTS. Ps. 113:1
5. GOD’S ANGELS. Ps. 148:2
6. GOD’S CREATION. Ps. 148:3,4
7. CHILDREN AND INFANTS. Ps. 8:2
When to Praise?
1. ALL DAY LONG. Ps.71:8
2. ALL MY LIFE. Ps.146:2
3. ALWAYS BE ON. Ps.34:1
4. WHEN DOWNCAST. Ps. 43:5
5. ABOUT MIDNIGHT. Acts. 16:25
6. SUNRISE TO SUNSET. Ps. 113:3
7. FOR EVER AND EVER. Ps. 45:17
Blessings of Praise
1. FRUIT OF FAITH “They believed and sang his praise” Ps.106:12.
2. GARMENT OF PRAISE “Garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair” Is. 61:3.
3. VICTORY OVER ENEMIES “They began to. . .praise, the
Lord. . .” 2 Chr. 20:22.
A story is said about a man called PRAISE THE LORD JOHN! Very often John used to say, ‘Praise the Lord’ in an audible way during the meeting. Once he was told that he would get “a new pair of shoes” if he controls himself during the Bishop’s sermon. John tried his level best but ‘the Praise the Lord’ was about to come! Finally John lost his balance, raising his voice he said:”Shoes or no shops PRAISE THE LORD”! Let nothing hinder us from praising God!
In the N.T. the word ‘fellowship’ means partnership, sharing and communion! Fellowship is more of HAVING A SHARE and GIVING A SHARE! If friendship is related to soul and human love, then fellowship is more related to our spirit and divine love! So, let’s launch this vital study—Fellowship!
Facts about Fellowship
1. Fellowship is among believers Acts. 2:41–42.
2. It is with the Father and the Son 1 Jn.1:3.
3. It is of the Holy Spirit 2 Cor. 13:14
4. It is by walking in light 1 Jn. 1:7.
5. It is not to be given up Heb.10:25
6. Paul longed to know it Phil. 3:10.
7. It cannot go on in darkness 1 Jn. 1:6.
Significance of Fellowship
1. BUILDS THE CHURCH . . .about three thousand were added. . .to the fellowship. . .” Acts 2:41–42.
2. GOD’S CALLING “God, who has called you into fellowship. . .”
3. PURIFIES US “. . .we have fellowship. . .and the blood. . . puriﬁes us” 1 Jn. 1:7.
4. COMPLETES JOY “Our fellowship. . .we write this to make our joy complete” 1 Jn.1:3–4.
5. FULL UNDERSTANDING “. . .be active in sharing. . .so that …full understanding. . .” Philem.1:6.
6. LIKE-MINDEDNESS “. . .if any fellowship. . .then. . .by being like minded. . .” Phil.2:1–2.
7. RECOGNISES GRACE “. . .gave me. . .fellowship when they recognised the grace” Gal. 2:9.
Fellowship in Action
In Romans 16 we see fellowship in action
1. Serves the church. v.1
2. Give needful help. v.2
3. Receives others. v.2
4. Risks life for others. v.4
5. Grateful to others. v.4
6. Meets at a place. v.5
7. Works very hard. v.6
8. Suﬀers with others. v.7
9. Watches the trouble makers. v.17
10. Keeps away from some. v.17
11. Obeys and is known by it. v.19
12. Enjoys with others. v.23
John Wesley, it has been said, had a dream in which he appeared at the gate of hell. He cried out, “Are any Presbyterians there?” “Yes”, came the answer, “a great many.” “Any Church of England members?” “Yes, lots of them.” “Any Baptists?” “A large number.”
“And, are there any Wesleyans?” Again the answer came, “Yes, many of them.”
Disappointed, especially at that last reply, Wesley next dreamed he was standing at the gate of heaven. He repeated the same question. Each time he received the same troubling answer: “No, not one!” No Baptists, no Church of England members, no Presbyterians, and no Wesleyans! “Who, then, is in heaven?” Wesley exclaimed. “We know nothing here about the names you mentioned,” came the reply, “The only name that matters here is CHRISTIAN. We are all Christians here!”
Quiet time is simply a QUALITATIVE TIME WITH GOD on a regular basis. Many men of God in the Scripture and outside the Scripture trace back their secrets to the quiet time. It is a time alone with God!
The Quiet Time
There is a beautiful picture of quiet time in Exodus 34:
1. GOD AND THE BELIEVER “The Lord. . .Moses.” v. 1
2. THE PREPARATION
“Be ready then come up.” v. 2
3. SPECIFIC PLACE
“Come up on Mount Sinai.” v. 2
4. SPECIFIC TIME
“Be ready in the morning. . . .” v. 2
5. THE PURPOSE
“Present yourself to me there. . . .” vs. 2
6. ALONE WITH GOD
“No-one is come with you. . . .” v. 3
7. MATERIALS-THE WORD
“I will write on them the words. . . .” v. 1, 27
8. THE COMMUNION
“Moses…went up… the LORD came. . . .” v. 4, 5
9. THE PROCLAMATION
“The Lord…proclaimed his name. . . .” v. 5
10. THE PRESENCE
“The Lord. . .stood there with him. . . .” v. 5–6
11. THE LESSON
“The Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger.
. . .” v. 6
12. THE RESPONSE
“Moses bowed and worshipped. . . .” v. 8
13. THE CONFESSION
“forgive our wickedness and our sin.” v. 9
14. THE PROVISION
“I am making a covenant with you. . . .” v. 10
15. THE PROMISE
“I will do wonders never before done. . . .” v. 10
16. THE COMMAND
“Obey what I command you today.” v. 11
17. THE RECORD
“Write down these words. . . .” v. 27
18. THE COST
“. . .forty days and forty nights without eating.” v. 28
19. THE RESULT
“his face was radiant because he had. . . .” v. 29
20. THE MINISTRY
“Moses called all the leaders he spoke to them. . .all the Israelites came…he gave them all…the commands.” Ex. 34:31–32
Examples of Quite Time
1. ABRAHAM “got up. . .for the place” Gen. 22:3.
2. ISAAC ”He went evening to meditate” Gen. 24:63.
3. MOSES “. . .early in the morning. . . .” Ex. 34:4
4. JOSHUA “Early in the morning. . . .” Jos. 3:1
5. SAMUEL “Samuel ministered before the Lord. . . .” 1 Sam.
6. DAVID “In the morning, O Lord. . . .” Ps. 5:3
7. HANNAH next morning. . .worshipped 1 Sam. 1.19.
8. PAUL “for he is praying. . . .” Acts. 9:11
9. MAGDALENE “. . .it was still dark. . .went” Jn. 20.
10. THE LORD JESUS “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went oﬀ to a solitary place, where he prayed.” Mk. 1:35
In the early years of my conversion I was very zealous to have my quiet time. I used to get up 3 o’clock in the morning to have my quiet time. There was excitement for some time. But to be honest soon it became a ritual. And continued to be a religious ritual for years. Then in my allergy to ritual I swang to the other extreme of having no quiet time! “What could be the number one problem with our churches?” was my question to a godly man. Instantly he answered, “they are not listening to God every day!” That’s it! If we have quiet time that excludes hearing God! It’s only a deceptive ritual. Oh! that we hear God every day! “Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening” 1 Sam. 3:9.
As I have heard often from a godly brother that we should not look for the deﬁnition of humility in the dictionary. But we can get the deﬁnition when we look to JESUS—who is our spiritual dictionary. Though humility is not found in the nine fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22, it is the root of the fruit of the Spirit.
Facts about Humility
1. BEFORE GOD “Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me?. . .” 1 Kings 21:29
2. WITH GOD “walk humbly with your God.” Mic. 6:8
3. IT IS GOOD “He has showed. . .what is good. . . .walk humbly” Mic. 6:8
4. CLOTHE WITH IT “clothe yourselves with. . . .humility.” Col. 3:12
5. IT IS IN JESUS “for I am. . .humble in heart.” Mt.11:29
6. BEFORE HONOR “Humility comes before honor” Prov. 15:33
7. USED IN SERVICE “I served the Lord with great humility. . . .” Acts. 20:19
Secrets of Humility
1. THE YOKE OF JESUS “Take my yoke upon you. . .I am. . . humble in heart.” Mt. 11:29
2. IN THE CHILD Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child. . . .” Mt. 18.4
3. THROUGH SERVANTHOOD “a servant. . .he humbled himself. . . .” Phil.2:7–8
4. UNDER GOD’S HAND “Humble yourselves, therefore under God’s mighty hand.” 1 Pet. 5:6
5. THROUGH THE WORD “When Ahab heard these words. . . humbled himself. . . .”1 Kings 21:27, 29
6. BY ACKNOWLEDGING JUSTICE “The leaders…humbled themselves and said, “The Lord is just.” 2 Chron. 12:6
7. BY RESPONSIVE HEART “Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before God. . . .” 2 Chron. 34:27
Significance of Humility
1. THE WAY OF THE CROSS “as a man he humbled himself . . . on a cross.” Phil. 2:8
2. IT EXALTS “he who humbles himself will be exalted.” Lk.14:11
3. GOD ESTEEMS “This is the one I esteem: he who is humble
. . . .” Isa. 66:2
4. DISASTER IS POSTPONED “Humbled himself, . . .I will not bring this disaster. . . .” 1 Kings 21:29
5. DELIVERANCE PROVIDED “The Lord saw that they humbled give. . .them deliverance. . . .” 2 Chron.12:7
6. PRAYERS ANSWERED “humbled himself greatly. . .the
Lord. . .listened to his plea; . . . .” 2 Chron .33:12–13
7. RESTORATION DONE “humbled himself. . .he brought him back. . .to. . . .” 2 Chron. 33:12–13
8. GOD’S ANGER A VERTED “humbled themselves,. . . .
My wrath will not be poured. . . .” 2 Chron.12:7
9. PRAYERS HEARD “humble yourself your words were heard.” Dan.10:12
10. HEALING OF THE LAND “. . .humble themselves. . .will heal their land. . . .” 2 Chron. 7:14
11. GREATEST IN HEAVEN “Therefore whoever humbles himself. . .is the greatest in heaven.” Mt. 18:4
When Alexander Duff was home on furlough from India in 1834, he often visited missionary statesman William Carey. On his last visit before Carey died, Duﬀ spent much of his time talking about Carey’s work. Finally, Carey seemed to tire of it and whispered, “pray.” After Duﬀ prayed, he arose to leave the room, but Carey called him to return to his side. “Mr. Duﬀ,” he said graciously, “you have been speaking about “Dr. Carey.” When I am gone, say nothing about Dr. Carey. Speak about Dr. Carey’s Saviour.”
May we too call attention to Jesus, the one whom God has highly exalted. This is the spirit of humility!
Satan was willing to give EVERYTHING in EXCHANGE for WORSHIP! Mt. 4:8–9. That speaks something about the worth of worship! Almost everything that we have been doing right now will cease on our arrival to our heavenly home except WORSHIP that will continue for ever and ever! Let’s be prepared NOW!
Meaning of Worship
The original word Proskuneo means, “to kiss, like a dog licking his master’s hand!” Following are the words used for worship:
1. FELL PROSTRATE Dan. 2:46.
2. BOWED LOW Gen. 18:2.
3. BOWED DOWN Gen. 23:7.
4. KNELT BEFORE Mt. 8:2.
5. KNEELING DOWN Mt. 20:20.
6. REVERENCE Act. 10:25.
7. HONOUR Lk. 14:10.
Facts about Worship
1. THE FATHER SEEKS—“. . .worship. . .in spirit and truth. .
.the Father seeks” Jn. 4:23.
2. IT IS WRITTEN— “for it is written: Worship the Lord. . . .
3. RAIN HINDERED— “lf any. . .do not. . .worship. . . .they will have no rain” Zech.14:17.
4. GREATER THAN KINGDOMS— “All the kingdoms. . .I will give. . .if you. .worship. . . .” Mt. 4:9.
5. ANGELS NOT TO BE WORSHIPED— “. . .worship. . .do not do it. . .worship God!” Rev. 22:8, 9.
6. GODLY MEN NOT TO BE WORSHIPED— “. . .fell at his feet. . .peter made him get up. . .I am only a man myself ” Acts.
7. ELDERS WORSHIPED— “. . .and the elders fell down and worshipped” Rev. 5:14.
How to Worship?
1. WITH HOLINESS—“. . .worship the lord in the splendour of his holiness” Ps. 29:2.
2. WITH THE FIRST FRUITS— “And now I bring ﬁrst fruits and, bow down before him” Deut. 26:10.
3. BY FAITH—“By faith. . .we will worship and then we will come back” Heb. 11:17; Gen. 22:5.
4. WITH HOPE—“. . .worshipped. Then. . .and he ate”
2 Sam. 12:20.
5. “WITH KNOWLEDGE— “. . .we worship what we do know. . . .” Jn.4:22.
6. OFFERING BODY— “. . .oﬀer your bodies. . .this is your spiritual act of worship” Rom. 12:1.
7. OFFERING THE LOVED ONE— “. . .whom you love as a burnt oﬀering. . . .” Gen. 22:2
8. LAYING DOWN PRECIOUS GIFT— “. . .worship him. . . they lay their crowns before. . .” Rev. 4:10,11.
9. ASCRIBING WORTHINESS— “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honour and power. . . .” Rev.
10. IN SPIRIT— “His worshippers must worship in spirit. . .” Jn.
11. IN TRUTH—“. . .His worshipers must worship. . .in truth” Jn.4:24.
12. WITH CONFESSION— “. . .in confession and in worshipping the Lord their God” Neh. 9:3.
How Saul Worhipped the Lord?
In this light, let us examine ourselves. 1 Sam. 15:31
1. Saul worshipped being turned away from God. 1 Sam. 15:11
2. He worshipped with disobedience. v. 11
3. With hypocrisy. v.13
4. Doing evil in the eyes of the Lord. v.19
5. With self justifying. v.20
6. By substituting sacriﬁces for obedience. v.22
7. With rebellious Spirit. v.23
8. With the spirit of arrogance. Vs.23
9. By rejecting the Word. v.23
10. By violating God’s command. v.24
11. By violating the Prophet’s instructions. v.24
12. By fearing the people. v.24
13. By seeking the honour of men. v.30
Once Handle’s “Messiah” was ﬁrst played in England in honour of Queen Victoria. It had already became the custom through out the continent for people to stand up at the time of singing the
“Hallelujah Chorus.” When the majestic music went out with—” And he shall reign for ever!” Everyone got up from their seats. They all thought that Queen Victoria will remain seated. Yet the Queen also got up, LIFTED THE CROWN FROM HER HEAD AND STOOD WI.TH BOWED HEAD!
Doesn’t that remind us of the great worship in Revelation 4:10, 11?
For many years I had a personal New Testament with me, but alas! I never experienced the privileges of the new covenant nor entered the new covenant spirit! Covenant is a will, agreement or a treaty between two parties. God made a covenant with his people in Exodus 24 with Moses as the mediator. Jesus made a new covenant in Matthew 26:28, which we shall study now
Facts about the New Covenant
1. IT WAS PROPHECIED. Jer.31:31
2. IT WAS THROUGH JESUS’ BLOOD. Mt.26:28
3. IT IS AN ETERNAL COVENANT. Heb.13:20
4. IT IS A BETTER COVENANT. Heb.7:22
5. IT’S MEDIATOR IS JESUS. Heb.9:15
Blessing of New Covenant
1. FORGIVENESS OF SIN— “. . .covenant for the forgiveness of
Sins.” Mt. 26:25
2. ETERNAL REDEMPTION— “. . .by his own blood. . .eternal redemption.” Heb. 9:12
3. TOTAL JUSTIFICATION— “. . .Justiﬁed from everything you could not. . .by the Law. . . .” Acts. 13:39
4. REQUIREMENTS MET— “. . .requirements of the law might be fully met in us. . . .” Rom. 8:4
5. MADE PERFECT— “. . .by one sacriﬁce he has made perfect forever. . . .” Heb.10:14
6. BETTER PROMISES “. . .the covenant. . .it is founded on better promises.” Heb. 8:6
7. OF THE SPIRIT— “. . .new covenant—not. . .but of the
Spirit. . . .” 2 Cor. 3:6
8. LIFE GIVING—“. . .new covenant—but the Spirit gives life.”
2 Cor. 3:6
9. SONSHIP’S RIGHTS— “. . .that we might receive the full rights of sons.” Gal. 4:5
10. ETERNAL INHERITANCE “. . .new covenant. . .promised eternal inheritance.” Heb. 9:15
11. SIN NOT MASTERING—“Sin shall not be your master. . . under grace.” Rom. 6:14
12. FREEDOM FROM LAW—“. . .released from the law. . .we serve. . . .” Rom. 7:6
Entering the New Covenant
1. GOD WILL INITIATE—“I will make. . .declares the Lord.” Heb. 8:10
2. GOD WILL WRITE—“I will. . .write them on their hearts.” Heb. 8:10
3. GOD WILL BE PERSONAL—“I will be their God and they. . . my people.” Heb.8:10
4. GOD WILL BE KNOWN—“because they will all know me.” Heb. 8:11
5. GOD WILL FORGIVE— “for I will forgive their wickedness
. . . .” Heb. 8:12
6. GOD WILL NOT REMEMBER—“. . .and will remember their sins no more.” Heb. 8:12
7. GOD WILL GIVE— “I will give you a new heart. . . .” Ezk. 36:26
There is a story of a man who made a covenant with death!. He told that he would willingly accompany death any time but on one condition—that death would send a messenger well in advance to warn him. The covenant was made! Years passed. One evening death suddenly entered his room. The man was shocked and cried out, “You’re here so soon and without warning! I thought we made a covenant!” Death replied, “I’ve sent you many messengers! Look at yourself in the mirror and you’ll see some of them. . .notice your hair; once it was black, now it is white. Your ears have become dull
. . .observe how your eye sight have become dim. . .in this way I have sent many messengers. . .I’ve kept my part. It’s too bad you didn’t keep yours. I’m sorry you’re not ready for me, but the time has come let’s go!”
A covenant is a serious thing. It’s only wise to make a new covenant with the Lord and be prepared!
The word “witness” in the original is “martus” from which the word MARTYR is, derived. So, witnessing or testifying is more than a oral expression. Since we are called to be witnesses let’s give some thoughts on witnessing!
1. COMMAND OF OUR LORD. Acts.1:8
2. EXAMPLE OF OUR LORD. 1Tim. 6:13
3. APPOINTED TO BE SO. Acts. 26:16
4. IT IS OUR EXPERIENCE. Jn. 3:11
5. OTHERS MIGHT BELIEVE. Jn.1:7
6. AS HIS COMPANIONS. Jn.15:27
7. TO CONFESS OUR HOPE. Heb.10:23
Ways of Witnessing
1. WITH GOD’S HELP. Acts 26:22
2. BY THE POWER OF THE SPIRIT. Acts 1:8
3. WITH COURAGE. Acts 23:11
4. BY SUFFERING. Mk.13:9
5. TELLING THE LORD’S MERCY. Mk. 5:19
6. BY CONVINCING. Acts 28:23
7. BY DEVOTING EXCLUSIVELY. Acts 18:5
8. BY TESTIFYING THE TRUE GRACE. 1 Pet. 5:12
9. WITNESSING THE LIGHT. Jn. 1:8
10. BY SHAKING OFF THE DUSTIF THEY DON’T RECEIVE! Mk. 6:11
Results of Witnessing
1. SOULS WERE ADDED. Acts 2:4041
2. ENRICHED IN EVERY WAY. 1 Cor.1:5,6
3. STAINED AS MARTYRS. Rev.6:9
4. ACKNOWLEDGED BEFORE ANGELS. Lk.12:8
5. ACKNOWLEDGED BEFORE THE FATHER. Mt.10:32
There was an ordinary believer who used to witness and give out tracts. One day he gave a tract to a gambler who was on the way to a bar. That man was very upset and tore the tracts into pieces and threw it before the believer and went to drink. As he lifted a drink to his lips, he noticed a small piece of paper on his cloth! Quickly he took it and noticed that it was part of that tract which he tore. Only one word was on it—“GOD.” As he turned it over the other side and found one other word— “ETERNITY.” He was convicted. Some time later he found that witnessing believer and came to the Lord!
When a child is born, it is but natural for the child to grow. There are seven essentials for a child to grow. That applies to a child who is born spiritually! Let’s study those seven essentials for spiritual growth!
When the early church was born, it continued in breathing— PRAYER Acts. 2:42.
* It is to be without ceasing. 1Thess. 5:17
* Paul did it on his conversion. Act. 9:11
* We have to do it also. Col. 4:2
The new born believers continued in the nourishment of the Word
* The Word of God is Food. Jer.15:16
* Milk food is for babes. 1 Pet.2:2
* Solid food is for the mature. Heb.5:14
The new born believers were scattered to the exercise of witnessing. Acts. 8:1, 4
* We are called to be witnesses Lk. 24:48.
* Holy Spirit is given for witnessing Acts 1:8.
*Witnessing ends the world Mt. 24:14.
4. PUTTING ON
Just as the new born child needs to put clothes, so also the new believers Isa. 61:10.
* First clothe of the Spirit’s power Lk. 24:49.
* Second clothe of Humility 1 Pet. 5:5.
* Third clothe of Righteousness Rev. 19:8.
5. PUTTING OFF
Just as the child’s eliminating system works, so also with a new believer. Mk. 7:19.
* Get rid of all malice. . . 1 Pet. 2:1.
* Put off the old Self Col. 3:9.
* Put off falsehood Eph. 4:25.
The babe needs periodical injections; the believer needs the painful cross Lk.14:27.
* Water baptism is a cross Rom. 6:3.
* Breaking of bread is a cross 1 Cor. 11:26.
* Following Jesus is a cross Lk. 9:23.
Just as a growing child needs helping hands so also the believer.
1 Cor. 3:6
* Paul was a spiritual Father 1 Cor. 4:15.
* Paul was a spiritual mother 1 Thess. 2:7.
* We too need spiritual leaders who can take responsibility for our souls. Otherwise we will be spiritual orphans Heb.13:17.
There is a strange plant in Jamaica called the “Life Plant.” It is so named because it is almost, impossible to kill or destroy any portion of it. One day a boy cut oﬀ it’s leaf and hung it by a small string. Instead of drying up and dying, the leaf was sending out a white, thread like roots to gather moisture from the air and began to grow new leaves! We are called to be a “life plant” and not a “dead plant”!
It is said that there is a record of war in some part of the world before the birth of our Lord and after his death. But no record of war in any part of the world during his life time of thirty-three and half years! Such was the inﬂuence of the Prince of Peace on the earth! So let’s study about the peace that he gives!
Facts about Peace
1. God’s people live in peace Is. 32:18.
2. It’s the fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22.
3. We have peace with God Rom. 5:1.
4. We make eﬀort for peace Heb. 12:14.
5. We do what leads to it Rom. 14:19.
6. God proclaims peace Zech. 9:10.
7. There is no peace for wicked Is. 48:22.
8. It is related to God’s favor Lk. 2:14.
9. Unity is through the peace. Eph. 4:3.
10. Jesus gives us the peace. Jn. 14:27.
Significance of Peace
1. God’s kingdom is of peace Rom. 14:17.
2. Divine wisdom is of peace Jas. 3:17.
3. Peace raises righteousness Jas. 3:18.
4. Blessed are the peacemakers Mt .5:9.
5. God makes covenant with it Ezk. 34:25.
6. Prosperity is through peace Job. 22:21.
7. It rules in our hearts Col. 3:15.
8. God’s Presence is through it 2 Cor. 13:11.
9. Jesus is the Prince of it Is. 9:6.
10. Peace can be experienced ALL TIMES and in EVERY WAY.
2 Thess. 3:16.
Way to Peace
1. THROUGH CHRIST— “We have peace with God through our lord Jesus. . . .” Rom.5:1
2. TRUSTING GOD—“. . .God. . .ﬁll you with all. . . .Peace as you trust in him.” Rom. 15:13
3. IN CHRIST— “I have told you. . .so that in me you may have peace” Jn. 16:33.
4. CHRIST’S BLOOD—“. . .Peace through his blood, shed on the cross.” Col. 1:20
5. BY PURSUING—“Pursue. . .peace along with those who call. . .”
2 Tim. 2:22
6. BY INTERCEEDING— “. . .Intercession. . .be made. . .may live peaceful. . . .” 1 Tim. 2:1–2
7. BY LOVING THE WORD— “Great peace have they who love. . . .” Ps.119:165
8. BY SPIRIT CONTROLLING— “. . .controlled by the Spirit is. . .peace.” Rom. 8:6
9. BY SEEKING— “. . .Seek peace and pursue it.” Ps. 34:14
10. BY RIGHTEOUSNESS— “The fruit of righteousness will be peace.” Is. 32:17
11. THROUGH WISDOM— “Wisdom. . .all her paths are peace.” Prov. 3:17
12. BY BEING STEADFAST— “. . .perfect peace. . .whose mind is steadfast.” Is. 26:3
Horatio Spafford of Britain was a successful business man. One day in 1873 he sent his wife and four daughters in a ship for a European trip and he was expected to join them in a few days. But on November 22 the ship “Ville” struck by another ship and sank. Later his wife sent a telegram saying, “saved alone.” Spafford rushed to comfort his wife; indeed it was a great loss of loosing all his children. Then he wrote this great Hymn: “When peace like a river, attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll—whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL!”
“Victory” is not in the dictionary of many believers! If we accept “defeat” as the way of life, we cannot expect a life of victory. Yet the New Testament talk of a victorious life in Christ! Let’s study it to experience victory over—
1. THE EVIL Rom. 12:21.
2. THE EVIL ONE 1 Jn. 2:13.
3. THE WORLD 1 Jn. 5:4.
The World consists of—
(i) The cravings of sinful man
(ii) The lust of his eyes
(iii) The boasting of what he has and does 1 Jn. 2:16.
The Source of Defeat
1. OUR THOUGHTS
* “The schemes. . .are sin” Prov. 24:9.
* “. . .captive every thought. . .” 2 Cor. 10:5.
* “Search. . .my. . .thoughts” Ps.139.23.
2. OUR PRIDE
* “God opposes the proud” Jas. 4:6.
* “Pride. . .before destruction” Prov. 16:18.
* “Do not be proud” Rom. 12:16.
3. OUR CARELESSNESS
* “. . .guard your heart” Prov. 4:23.
* “. . .sees danger…takes refuge” Prov. 22:3.
* “Be self controlled. . .” 1 Pet. 5:8.
4. OUR FLESH
* “. . .the evil… I keep. . .” Rom. 7:19.
* “. . .the body is weak Mt. 26:41.
* “. . .you can do nothing” Jn. 15:5.
5. OUR ENEMY
* “The tempter came. . .” Mt. 4:3.
* “. . .deceived by the serpent” 2 Cor. 11:3.
* “. . .not unaware of his. . .” 2 Cor. 2:11.
How to Live Victorious Life
1. THROUGH GOD— “Thanks be to God! He gives us the victory.” 1 Cor. 15:57
2. IN CHRIST— “. . .triumphal procession in Christ. . .”
2 Cor. 2:14.
3. BY THE SPIRIT— “. . .the Spirit of the Lord will put him. . . .” Is. 59:19
4. BY THE WORD— “. . .the word. . .you have overcome the evil one.” 1 Jn. 2:14
5. BY FAITH—“. . .comes the world, even our faith.” 1 Jn. 5:4.
6. By THE GRACE— “For sin shall not be your master. . .under grace.” Rom. 6:14
7. BY PRAYER— “Watch and pray so that you will not fall. . . .” Mt. 26:41
8. BY THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB. Rev. 12:11
9. BY THE WORD OF TESTIMONY. Rev. 12:11
10. BY NOT LOVING OWN LIFE. Rev. 12:11
Promises of Victorious Life
1. EATING FROM THE TREE OF LIFE Rev. 2:7.
2. THE CROWN OF LIFE Rev. 2:10.
3. THE HIDDEN MANNA Rev. 2:17.
4. STONE WITH NEW NAME Rev. 2:17.
5. AUTHORITY OVER NATIONS Rev. 2:26.
6. WHITE DRESS WITH JESUS Rev. 3:5.
7. NAME WILL NOT BE BLOTTED Rev. 3:5.
8. PILLAR IN THE TEMPLE Rev. 3:12.
9. SIT WITH JESUS ON HIS THRONE Rev. 3:21.
10. INHERIT THE WATER OF LIFE Rev. 21:6, 7.
Once there was a war between two countries. As the two ships were coming closer to war, suddenly the enemy threw a bomb into the ship. That bomb was about to explode in few seconds! Just then an oﬃcer quickly took the very same bomb and threw it back into the enemy ship. The bomb exploded as it was reaching the enemies, destroying the ship thoroughly. Yes, the devil is our enemy and he will certainly throw his own bombs to defeat us. But God can give us the presence of mind “to turn the table over the devil” and live a victorious life!
Our heart not in part but in total be God’s throughout life is a wholehearted life. I must admit that it is not an easy battle to be so. But it’s not impossible! We should not give up!
What is HALF-Hearted Life?
1. FAITHLESS OFFERING— “By faith Abel oﬀered God a better
. . .than Cain.” Heb.11:4
2. DISOBEDIENT SACRIFICES— “. . .sacriﬁces as much as in obeying. . .?” 1 Sam. 15:22.
3. NOT BEING CAREFUL—“Jehu was not careful to keep the law. . . .” 2 Kings 10:31
4. MERELY DOING RIGHT—“He did. . .right. . .but not wholeheartedly.” 2 Chron. 25:2
5. NOT REMOVING HIGH PLACES— “. . .he did. . .right. . . high places. . .were not. . . .” Chron. 20:32–33
6. DOING IN LAX SPIRIT—“A curse on him who is lax in doing
. . .” Jer. 48:10
7. DEEDS WITHOUT LOVE — “. . .deeds. . .forsaken your ﬁrst love.” Rev. 2:2, 4
Areas to Be Wholehearted
1. IN RETURNING TO GOD Jer. 24:7.
2. IN SEEKING GOD Jer. 29:13.
3. IN LOVING THE LORD Deut. 6:4,5.
4. IN SERVING THE LORD Jos. 22:5.
5. IN TRUSTING THE LORD Prov. 3:5.
6. IN PRAISING GOD Ps. 86:12.
7. IN OBEYING THE LORD Ps. 119:34.
How to Live Wholeheartedly?
1. Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God 1 Cor. 10:31.
2. Do all for the strengthening of the Church 1 Col. 14:26.
3. Do everything in a ﬁtting and orderly way 1 Col. 14:40.
4. Do all in the name of the Lord Jesus giving thanks to Father
5. Be always on the watch, and pray without giving up Lk. 21:36;
6. Strive always to keep clear conscience before God and man Acts.
7. Do everything in love 1 Cor. 16:14.
Examples of Whole heartedness
1. CALEB— “But because my servant Caleb. . .follows me wholeheartedly” Num.14:24.
2. DAVID—“. . .my servant David. . .followed me with all his heart” 1 Kings 14:8.
3. JOSIAH— “Josiah. . .did with all his heart. . .in accordance with all laws. . .” 2 Kings 23:25.
4. PAUL— “. . .I consider everything a loss. . .that I may gain
Christ,” Phil. 3:8.
5. JESUS— “. . .for I always do what pleases him” Jn. 8:29; Mt. 3:17.
One day a farmer was forced to sell all his things to pay his debts. People emptied his house and almost everything in the house was taken. When everybody left, he came to his empty house and noticed a wall text hanging on the wall. The only property that was remaining. The verse on that was from Hebrews 1:11:
“BUT YOU REMAIN”
Yes, a wholehearted person survives when everybody and everything is taken, because he has the Lord who remains!
I heard a man of God saying that it took only six days for God to create the entire universe including the man! But to break that man it may take six years or even sixty years for God! How true it is. We will remain RELIGIOUS if we are not broken. If we allow God to break us then we will be SPIRITUAL. Let the Spirit of God apply this into our lives as we study brokenness!
What is Brokenness?
1. IT IS THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD. “. . .do not make light of the Lord’s discipline” Heb.12:5.
2. IT IS CHRIST’S AFFLICTIONS. “. . .I ﬁll up in my ﬂesh… Christ’s aﬄictions” Col. 1:24.
3. IT IS THE GOD’S CRUSHING. “Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him. . .” Is.53:10.
4. IT IS THE SUFFERING OF SOUL. “After the suﬀering of his soul, he will see. . .” Is. 53:11.
5. IT IS THE MESSENGER OF SATAN FROM GOD. “. .
.given me. . .a messenger. . .to torment me” 2 Cor. 12:7.
6. IT IS THE AFFLICTION OF SATAN. “So Satan went out from. . .the Lord and aﬄicted” Job. 2:7.
7. IT IS THE WEAKNESES FOR CHRIST. “For Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses. . .” 2 Cor. 12:10.
8. IT IS YEILDING SELF WILL TO GOD’S WILL. “Yet not as
I will, but as You will” Mt. 26:39.
9. IT IS ENTRUSTI NG TO GOD. “when He suﬀered. . .he entrusted himself to him. . .” 1 Pet. 2:23.
10. IT IS A GODLY SORROW. “Godly sorrow brings repentance
. . .to salvation” 2 Cor. 7:10.
Significance of Brokenness
1. IT IS THE LORD’S WILL 53:10.
2. THE LORD LIVES THERE Isa. 57:15.
3. THE LORD REVIVES SUCH Isa. 57:15.
4. THE LORD ESTEEMS SUCH Isa. 66:2.
5. THE SACRIFICES OF GOD IS SUCH Ps. 51:17.
6. GOD WILL NOT DESPISE SUCH Ps. 51:17.
7. THE LORD IS CLOSE TO THE BROKENHEARTED AND SAVES THOSE WHO ARE CRUSHED IN SPIRIT Ps. 34:18.
There was a great desire in me to teach the Word to others. In Operation Mobilisation I used to teach in seminars. I made a huge glass board in Bangalore and carried it in a van to Kolar to Continue this teaching. I enjoyed using colour chalks on this huge glass board. One day I planned to speak on brokenness. When I went to bring the glass board to the meeting hall, I saw the glass board broken in to pieces! I got the message from the Lord—mainly for myself before I could preach to others! That is to be BROKEN!
The Lordship of Christ
The word Lord is mentioned in the New Testament over 700 times, which means—supreme in authority; Master and controller. Paul recognized and submitted himself under the lordship of Christ on the very ﬁrst day of his conversion (Acts.22:10). Let’s get into the spirit of this study on lordship of Christ.
Areas of His Lordship
Significance of his Lordship
1. God has made him Lord Acts. 2:36.
2. God has called him Lord Heb. 1:10.
3. God is gloriﬁed by it Phil. 2:11.
4. David calls him “lord” Mt. 22:43, 44.
5. Christ died and returned to life that he might be the Lord.
How to Come Under his Lorship
1. BY CONFESSING HIM. “. . .you confess. . . .Jesus is lord. . .” Rom. 10:9.
2. BY OBEYING HIM. “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord’ and do not do what I say?” Lk. 6:46.
3. BY THE HOLY SPIRIT. “. . .no-one can say, Jesus is Lord, except by the Holy Spirit” 1 Cor. 12:3.
4. BY WASHING OTHERS FEET. “. . .your Lord washed your feet, you also should” Jn. 13:14.
5. BY DOING AS FOR HIM. “Whatever you do, work. . .as working for the Lord. . .” Col. 3:23.
6. BY SETTI NG APART. “But in your hearts set apart Christ as
Lord” 1 Pet. 3:15.
7. BY OUR WILLINGNESS. “What shall I do, Lord?” Paul asked
A story is said about the president of a country who was learning English. One day he was supposed to receive a visiting president of another country. On his way to the airport he went on memorizing— “Good morning! How are you?” several times. And when he met the incoming president, he shook his hand and greeted nervously saying, “Good morning! who are you?!” We claim to know the Lord but like Saul of Tarsus we say, “Who are you, Lord?” Do we?
Fear of God
In Proverbs 8:13 we have a simple meaning of what is to fear the
Lord— “TO FEAR THE LORD IS TO HATE EVIL.” Yes, the fear of the Lord is hating pride and arrogance, evil behaviour and perverse speech. To fear God is the reverence for God.
Facts about the Fear of God
1. We are commanded to fear God. Deut. 6:24
2. God asks us to do so. Deut. 10:12
3. We must learn to fear God. Deut. 14:23
4. It is good to fear God. 1 Sam. 12:14
5. We should be sure to fear him. 1 Sam. 12:24
Ways to Fear God
1. COMMITMENT. “. . .you fear God, because you have not withheld. . .” Gen. 22:12.
2. OBEDIENCE. “. . .fear the Lord. . .by keeping all his commands” Deut. 6:2.
3. PRAYING. “. . .Give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your Name” Ps. 86:11.
4. FORGIVENESS. “With you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared” Ps. 130:4.
5. UNDERSTANDING. “. . .if you look for it. . .then. . .the fear of the Lord. . .” Prov.2:3–5.
6. SINGLENESS OF HEART. “. . .singleness of heart. . .so that they will always fear me” Jer. 32:39.
7. GOD WORKING. “God does it so that men will revere him” Ecles. 3:14.
Blessing of Fearing God
1. ANGEL ENCAMPS. Ps. 34:7
2. LACK NOTHING. Ps. 34:9
3. BEGINNING OF WISDOM. Ps. 111:10
4. DESIRES FULFILLED. Ps. 145:19
5. LENGTHENS LIFE. Prov. 10:27
6. SECURES FORTRESS. Prov. 14:26
7. REFUGE-FOR CHILDREN. Prov. 14:26
8. FOUNTAIN OF LIFE Prov. 14:27
9. KEY TO TREASURE. Is. 33:6
10. IT WILL GO BETTER. Eccles. 8:12
11. PARADISE TODAY! Lk. 23:40, 43
12. HOLINESS PERFECTED! 2 Cor. 7:1
Recently I was asked to go to Kerala for an oﬃcial work. I reached the particular place and waited for one hour two hours—3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 hours! Then second day came, third day. . . fourth day ﬁfth day! Yes I waited. I did not move out of the room for a single minute! My honest testimony for the glory of God is that I waited day and night for ﬁve days in submission to my higher authority, out of fear of God and as unto the Lord! In those days Ephesians 5:21 and 6:5 became ﬂesh in my life. God is my witness!
Our God is a Holy being. His attributes are holy. His place, his Word, his Spirit is Holy. And he expects his people to be holy! Now let’s study this subject of holiness and partake of it!
Facts about Holiness
1. Enables to worship God. Ps.29:2
2. It is a High way. Is. 35:8
3. It is God’s will. 1 Thess. 4:3
4. God has called for it. Jas. 4:8
5. We ought to oﬀer our bodies. Rom.12:1
6. We are chosen to be holy. Ep. 1:4
7. We are of the holy 1emple. Ep. 2:21
8. We are to be holy in all. 1 Pet. 1:15
9. We are commanded. 1 Pet. 1:16
10. God will do it thoroughly. 1 Thess. 5:23
Ways to Holiness
1. THROUGH CHRIST. Col. 1:22
2. BY OFFERING OURSELVES. Rom. 6:19
3. REVERENCE FOR GOD. 2 Cor.7:1
4. DISCIPLINE OF GOD. Heb. 12:10
5. BY HOPING IN HIM. 1 Jn. 3:3
6. BY THE TRUTH Jn. 17:17
7. BY MAKING EFFORT. Heb. 12:14
8. BY GOD’S PROMISES. 2 Cor. 7:1
9. BY CHRIST’S BLOOD. 1 Jn. 1:7
10. THROUGH THE HOLY. SPIRIT. 2 Thess. 2:13
Blessing of Holiness
1. We will see God. Mt. 5:8
2. No second death. Rev. 20:6
3. Love comes out of it. 1 Ti. 1:5
4. We can Worship God. Rom. 12:1
5. Useful to the Master. 2 Tim. 2:21
6. We will grow stronger. Job. 17:9
7. All things will be pure. Tit.1:15
Once there was a gentle knock at the door of a minister in London. The maid went to the door and found a man with saﬀron robe standing. The maid enquired the name of that man. He replied, I am Sadhu Sunder Singh!” She came to her master and said, “There is a gentleman to see you, sir.” Her master asked, “What name?” Since it was a long name for her, she replied, “Well, sir I did not quite catch the name, but he is wonderfully like Jesus Christ!” This is the true picture of holiness that we can give to others.
Suffering is afflictions, distresses, miseries, sorrows, trials and tribulations that we go through in this world as God’s people.
1. We are destined for it. 1 Thess. 3:3
2. To enter God’s Kingdom. Acts. 14:22
3. To follow Christ’s example. 1 Pet. 2:21
4. To discipline us. Heb.12:6
5. To test us. 2 Chron. 32:31
6. To turn to God. Amos 4:6–10
7. To reap what we sowed. Gal.6:7
Resuslts of Suffering
1. We learn obedience. Heb. 5:8
2. We will not go astray. Ps. 119:67
3. We will be strong. 1 Pet. 5:10
4. We share His Holiness. Heb. 12:10
5. Produces Righteousness. Heb. 12:11
6. Comfort will overﬂow 2 Cor.1:5
7. So that we may be MATURE and COMPLETE, not LACKING ANYTHING. Jas.1:2–4
Once there was a missionary serving the Lord in Africa. Out of twelve workers he was the only one who continued, all others left. For fourteen months he never saw bread. He started eating ants, rhino and beans. In all the suﬀerings of forty years this is what he said, “I can never think of those forty years in terms of sacriﬁce—for the joy that the Word. . .for the ﬁrst time coming to this great tribe. . . .”
God is looking for people who are faithful. God is faithful and He expects his workers to be faithful also!
FACTS ABOUT FAITHFULNESS
1. Leads to rich blessings. Prov. 28:20
2. The master appreciates. Mt. 25:21
3. Master is made happy. Mt. 25:21
4. God testiﬁes to it. Num.12:7
5. Contributions are by it. 2 Chron. 31:12
Faithfulness of God’s People
1. IN FEW THINGS. Mt. 25:2
2. THEY WILL BE PROMOTED. Mt. 25:21
3. THEY SHARE THE HAPPINESS. Mt. 25:21
4. FAITHFUL MINISTER OF CHRIST. Col. 1:7
5. FAITHFUL ON BEHALF OF OTHERS. Col. 1:7
6. Faithful to the point of death. Rev. 2:10
7. Must prove the faithfulness. 1 Cor. 4:2
Once there was a young man nameb J.H.Crowell. Before he joined the Navy as a crew, he had promised his mother that he would live for Jesus. Whenever he prayed, the other sailors used to mock him and even pour buckets of water upon his head! One day they tied Crowell and beat him 39 stripes. But he continued praying. Finally they tied a rope around his waist and threw him over board. Realising he might die, he prayed for them and requested them to send his body home to his mother saying, “Tell her I was FAITHFUL and died for JESUS!” They all were convicted at this and left Crowell well who believed in the Lord!
In this study we are concentrating on the unity of believers in the
Hinderance to Unity
1. SPIRITUAL PRIDE. Ezk. 28:6
2. DISPUTE & DEBATE. Act. 15:2
3. REJECTING THE ADVICE. 1 Kings 12:8
4. BEING OFFENDED. Jn. 6:61, 66
5. SOULISH LOVE. Mt. 10:36–37
6. HERO WORSHIP. 1 Cor. 1:11–12
7. SHARP DISAGREEMENT. Acts. 15:39
8. THE SPIRIT OF ANTICHRIST. 1 Jn. 2:18–19
Ways to Unity
1. THROUGH CHRIST. Eph. 2:14
2. THROUGH THE CROSS. Eph. 2:16
3. BY MAKING EFFORT. Eph. 4:3
4. IN THE FAITH. Eph. 4:12.
5. IN THE, KNOWLEDGE. Eph. 4:13
6. BY PUTTIING ON LOVE. Col. 3:14
7. BY RECONCILING. Mt. 5:24
8. BY HIS GIVING. Jer. 32:39
9. BY THE COVENANT. 1 Sam. 18:1,3
10. THROUGH THE PRAYER OF JESUS
Blessings of Unity
1. Spiritual authority exercised. Mt. 18:18
2. Speciﬁc answers to prayer. Mt. 18:19
3. The presence of the Lord, Mt. 18:20
4. The life is bestowed. Ps. 133:3
5. The world believes. Jn.17:21
6. Needs of others met. Acts. 4:32, 34
7. The world will know that Christ was sent and that the Father loves us even as he loved Jesus! Halleluah!! Jn. 17:23.
A friend of mine bought one dozen eggs and kept it on his bicycle. A little boy came and pushed the parked bicycle and it fell with the packet of eggs. Later when he opened the packet in his of house, eight eggs became one mass! But the four unbroken ones were not united!! Yes, only broken people can be united people!
Wisdom is seeing and doing things in God’s perspective. I was trying to ﬁnd a verse which clearly deﬁnes wisdom. But I could not ﬁnd any verse better than 1 Corinthians 1:24 and 30.
“CHRIST. . .THE WISDOM OF GOD.”
“CHRIST JESUS, who has become for us WISDOM from
Facts about Wisdom
From the book of Proverbs:
1. Wisdom protects us. 4:6
2. It is supreme. 4:7
3. It calls us. 8:1
4. It is precious than rubies. 8:11
5. It dwells with prudence. 8:12
6. It possesses knowledge. 8:12
7. Better to get it than gold. 16:16
How to get Wisdom
1. FROM GOD—“. . .ask God, who gives generously to all. . .” Jas. 1:5
2. THROUGH CHRIST— “I will give you. . .wisdom that. . .will be. . .” Lk. 21:15.
3. THROUGH THE SPIRIT— “. . .through the Spirit. . .the wisdom. . .” 1 Cor. 12:8.
4. BY PRAYER— “If any of you lack wisdom, he should ask God” Jam. 1:5.
5. BY OBEDIENCE— “Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom” Deut. 4:6.
6. FEAR OF THE LORD—“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” Prov. 9:10.
7. THROUGH THE CHURCH—“. . .through the church, the manifold wisdom” Eph. 3:10.
Once a disciple of Socrates asked him the best way to acquire knowledge. Socrates responded by leading him to a river and plunging him beneath the surface. The man struggled, but Socrates kept his head under the water. Finaly, he forcibly came out of the water. Then Socrates asked, “When you thought you were drowning, what one thing did you want most of all?” That man said, “I wanted air!” Immediately Socrates said, “When you want knowledge as much as you wanted air, then you will get it!” The same is true about WISDOM!
Forgiveness is an glorious experience Gospel. Just as forgiveness is a central relationship between God and people, so it is to characterize relationships between people.
Facts about God’s Forgiveness
1. God alone can forgive. Lk. 5:21
2. Christ has the authority. Mt. 9:6
3. God forgives in christ. Ep. 4:32
4. God forgives all sins. Ps. 103:3
5. God does not remember sins. Heb. 8:12
6. God forgives not unpardonable sin. Mt. 12:31
7. God forgives if we forgive others. Mt. 6:14
How to Receive God’s Forgiveness
1. BY REPENTING. Acts 2:38
2. BY CONFESSION. 1 Jn. 1:9
3. BY HUMBLING. 2 Chron. 7:14
4. BY LOVING. Lk. 7:47
5. IN CHRIST’S BLOOD. Eph. l:7
6. IN HIS NAME. 1 Jn. 1:12
7. BY FORGIVING OTHERS. Mt. 6:14
On Forgiving Others!
1. Forgive seventy seven times. Mt. 18:22
2. Forgive the repentant brother. Lk. 17:3
3. Forgive seven times a day. Lk. 17:4
4. Forgive in the sight of Christ. 2 Cor. 2:10
5. Forgive whatever grievances. Col. 3:13
6. Forgive as the Lord forgave. Col. 3:13
7. If we do not forgive others our Father will not forgive our sins.
When I was a lad I had an “uncomfortable feeling” towards my mother because of some thing which I didn’t like in her. Later that feeling grew, as I grew! Whenever opportunities come I would react to her in a rude way discharging that feeling little by little. One day she died. But the feeling in me did not die! It continued in dreams. Then I found out that “uncomfortable feeling” was biterness! After carrying it for about 35 years, ﬁnaly, I repented of it and asked the Lord’s forgiveness!
The Bible talks about obedience over hundred times. And there are at least ten examples of obedience in the Bible. Obedience is a very important and practical subject worth studying.
Facts about Obedience
1. We are slaves when we obey. Rom. 6:16
2. We are chosen for obedience. 1 Pet. 1:2
3. Be obedient in everything. 2 Cor. 2:9
4. Obey God rather than men. Acts. 5:29
5. Children to obey their parents. Eph. 6:1
6. People to obey authorities. Tit. 3:1
7. Believers to obey spiritual elders. Heb. 13:17
Ways to Obedience
1. FROM SUFFERING. Heb. 5:8
2. BY TAKING EVERY CAPTIVE THOUGHT. 2 Cor. 10:5
3. BY THE ATTITUDE OF FEAR. 2 Cor. 7:15
4. BY HUMBLING ONESELF. Phil. 2:8
5. FROM FAITH. Rom. 1:5
6. BY THE EXEMPLARY LIFE. Rom.15:18
7. THROUGH THE SPIRIT. Rom. 15:18, 19
Blessings of Obedience
1. MANY MADE RIGHTEOUS. Rom. 5:19
2. FULL OF JOY. Rom. 16:19
3. EXPERIENCE THE BEST. Is. 19
4. GOD GIVES HOLY SPIRIT. Acts 5:32
5. FREEDOM FROM SIN. Rom. 6:17,18
6. ETERNAL SALVATION. Heb. 5:9
7. SINCERE LOVE FROM THE HEART. 1 Pet. 1:22
In 1826 George Muller of Bristol was in a state of backsliding for a period of six weeks. His attachment to a young woman almost quenched the ﬁre of God in him. But a young brother named Herman, whose obedience to God’s calling as missionary to Poland made a deep impression on George Muller. As a result, George gave up the girl he loved. and began a fresh obedience to God’s call.
The Bible does not teach “sinless perfection” but it does teach on Christian Perfection. Jesus taught us to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect! Perfection is the fullness, maturity, blamelessness, completeness. . .
Facts about Perfection
1. It is in Christ bodily form. Col. 2:9
2. It is possible in known areas. Phil. 3:15–16
3. It is not possible in unknown areas. Phil. 3:12
4. We are chosen for it. Eph. 1:4
5. We are commanded for it. Mt. 5:48
6. We must lead others also. Col.1:28–29
7. We must pray for it. Col. 4:12
Ways to Perfection
1. THE SACRIFICE OF CHRIST. Heb. 10:1, 14
2. THE PRAYER OF CHRIST, Jn.17:23
3. THE GRACE OF CHRIST. 2 Cor. 12:9
4. THE MINISERS GIVEN. Eph. 4:11–13
5. THE WORD OF GOD. 2 Tim. 3:16:17
6. THE OBEDIENCE. 1 Jn. 2:5
7. THE SUFFERING. 1 Pet. 5:10
8. THE PURIFICATION. 2 Cor. 7:1
9. THE FORSAKING OF ALL. Mt. 19:21
10. THE PERSEVERANCE. Jas.1:4
Once a certain duke visited the prisoners. He asked them what their crimes were. Almost every prisoner claimed he was innocent. One blamed on the judge taking bribery and the other on some one else. But one young prisoner said, “Sir, I deserve to be here. No one is to be blamed but myself. I am guilty.” So the duke shouted, “What are you doing here with all these honest men? Get out of their company at once!” His honesty freed him. Total honesty is the quickest perfection that even the dying thief can come to!
Marriage is honourable. There is a great need for Christ centered marriages, where the Lord is honoured. Failure in the foundation of marriage can result in lifelong bitter reaping. This study is meant to be a guideline.
Faulty Foundation of Marriage
1. Lack of biblical knowledge. Hos. 4:6
2. Not waiting upon the Lord. Ps.27:14
3. Lean upon self understanding. Prov.3:5
4. Premature awakening of love. Song. 2:7
5. Lack of right Judgment. Prov. 7:7
6. Getting into wrong company. Neh. 13:26
7. Inﬂuenced by worldliness. 1 Jn. 2:15–16
Facts about Marriage
1. GOD INSTITUTED IT. Gen 1:27, 28.
2. INVOLVES SUITABLE HELPER. Gen.2:18.
3. IT IS TO BE HONOURED BY ALL. Heb.13:4.
4. CHILDREN ARE REWARD. Ps.127:3
5. BETTER TO MARRY THAN BURL. 1 Cor. 7:9
6. IT IS GOD WHO JOINS. Mt.19:6
7. MAN SHOULD NOT SEPARATE. Mt.19:6
8. SOME CALLED TO BEUNMARRIED. Mt.19:12
9. BETTER FOR YOUNGER WIDOWS TO MARRY.
1 Tim. 5:14
10. FORBIDDING MARRIES IS SATANIC. 1 Tim. 4:1-3
11. ANYONE WHO MARRIES THE DIVORCED WOMAN COMMITS ADULTERY. Mt.5:32
12. ANYONE WHO DIVORCES HIS WIFE, EXCEPT FOR MARITAL UNFAITHFULNESS, AN REMARRIES COMMITS ADULTERY. Mt. 19:9
Guidelines for Marriage
1. DELIGHT IN THE LORD. Ps. 37:4
2. COMMIT YOUR WAY TO HIM. Ps. 37:5
3. WAIT PATIENTLY. Ps. 37:7
4. SAVE RIGHTEOOSLY. Ps. 37:16
5. DO NOT BORROW. Ps. 37:21
6. BELIEVE IN HIS PROVISON. Ps. 37:25
7. ALLOW HIM TO GUIDE. Ps. 37:23
8. LET PEACE BE CENTRAL. Ps.37:37
9. TAKE GODLY ADVISES. Prov. 11:14
10. LOOK FOR COMPATABILITY. Gen. 2:18
A newly married couple was on a honeymoon trip by train. An elderly man asked them, “Is there a third party going with you on your honeymoon?” The couple looked shocked at him strangely. Then he continued, “When Sarah and I were married, we invited Jesus to our marriage. One of the ﬁrst things we did in our new home was to kneel and ask Jesus to make our marriage a love triangle—my wife, myself and Jesus. And the three of us have been in love with each other for all 50 years of our married life!” That’s it!
It is God who sets the lonely in families. And the Bible has many examples of good families for us to follow. God has speciﬁc instructions to each of the members in the family.
1. “Love your wives” Eph. 5:25.
2. “Rejoice in the wife. . .” Prov. 5:18.
3. “Do not break faith. . .” Mal. 2:15.
4. “Be considerate. . .” 1 Pet. 3:7.
5. “Treat with respect. . .” 1 Pet. 3:7.
6. “Leave. . .and be united. . .” Eph. 5:31.
7. “Do not be harsh. . .” Col. 3:19.
1. “Submit to your husbands” Eph.5:22.
2. “Must respect her husband” Eph.5:33.
3. “Love their husbands…” Tit 2:4.
4. “Ask their own husbands. . .” 1 Cor. 14:35.
5. “She brings him good. . .” Prov. 31:12.
6. “. . .gentle and quiet spirit” 1 Pet.3:4.
7. “. . .her husband’s crown” Prov. 12:4.
1. “They saw. . .child. . .” Heb. 11:23.
2. “Impress them (word). . .” Deut. 6:7.
3. “Teach them to your” Deut.4:9.
4. “Train a child. . .” Prov. 22:6.
5. “do not embitter. . .” Col. 3:21.
6. “bring them up in. . .” Eph. 6:4.
7. “command your children” Deut. 32:46.
1. “Honour your father. . .” Ex. 20:12.
2. “Keep. . .commands” Prov. 6:20.
3. “Be submissive to. . .” 1 Pet. 5:5
4. “Repaying their parents” 1 Tim. 5:4.
5. “You have learned. . .” 2 Tim. 3:14.
6. “Your sincere faith. . .” 2 Tim. 1:5.
7. “Grew in wisdom. . .” Lk. 2:52.
1. BELIEVER’S FAMILY. Acts. 16:1
2. BAPTISED FAMILY. 1 Cor. 1:16
3. HOSPITABLE FAMILY. Acts. 16:15
4. WITNESSING FAMILY. Acts. 18:26
5. GODFEARING FAMILY. Acts.10:2
6. SERVING FAMILY. Jos. 24:15
7. OBEDIENT FAMILY. Lk. l:6
One day Martin Luther was deeply discouraged by his own sinfulness and the problems in the Church. His wife dressed black for mourning. He asked who had died. She said, “God in heaven is dead!” Luther shocked said, “Katie, how can God die! He. . .will live through all eternity!” She asked, “Is that realy true?” Luther quickly said, “Of Course!. . .” Then his wife said, “Through you don’t doubt it why are you hopeless and discourageed?” Then Luther realised his own condition and the wisdom of his wife! Blessed family!
The Greatness of Love
1. IT IS THE FULFILLMENT OF LAW. Rom. 13:10
2. IT BINDS TOGETHER IN UNITY. Col. 3:14
3. IT NEVER FAILS. 1 Cor. 13:8
4. IT IS EVERLASTING. Jer. 31:3
5. IT IS GREATER THAN FAITH AND HOPE. 1 Cor. 13:13
Once a little girl asked her mother, “Do you love Jesus?” Her mother replied, “Yes, my child, but why do you ask?” The little girl said, “Mama, you speak of Papa, of Auntie Leela, Uncle Joe. . .but I never hear you talk about Jesus! I thought if you loved Him, I would sometimes hear you say so.” Her mother was convicted. And she decided to let it be known that she truly did love Jesus.
There is a general will of God which is mentioned in the Bible. And we need to ﬁnd out the speciﬁc will of God. There is a perfect will of God, which is God’s original purpose (Matthew 6:10). And there is a permissive will of God, which is allowed by God unhappily Psalm
Facts about God’s Will
1. PRAY FOR HIS WILL TO BE DONE. Mt. 6:10
2. SAY, “IF IT IS THE LORD’S WILL. . .” Jas. 4:15.
3. DO IT FROM YOUR HEART Eph. 6:6.
4. LIVE FOR THE WILL OF GOD, 1 Pet. 4:2.
5. UNDERSTAND THE LORD’S WILL. Eph. 5:16
How to Find God’s Will?
1. By being teachable. Ps. 143:10
2. By renewing our mind. Rom. 12:2
3. By denying self will. Mt. 26:39
4. By leading of the spirit. Rom. 8:27
5. By checking with the elders. Acts.15:2
6. By the word of god. 2 Tim. 3:15,17
7. By the working of god. Phil. 2:12,13
Blessings of Doing God’s Will
1. ENTERING GOD’S KINGDOM. Mt. 7:21
2. BECOMING THE RELATIVE OF JESUS. Mt. 12:50
3. GOD WILL HEAR US. 1 Jn. 5:14
4. RECEIVING WHAT IS PROMISE. Heb. 10:36
5. LIVES FOR EVER. 1 Jn. 2:11
Once few men took a small boat and went to their favourite spot in the Gulf of Mexico. They enjoyed the trip. After some time suddenly a dense fog moved in. By the time they tried to turn back the boat, they were completely covered with the fog. They could not ﬁnd the way back! Then one of them remembered that he had a small compass, which he pulled out of his pocket. Finally they all reached the land by following it’s needle! Yes, the Word impressed by the Spirit is our spiritual “compass” to ﬁnd the will of God!
Backsliding simply means, “turning away from the living God” (Heb. 3:12), It can happen only to God’s people. It is usually slow and gradual.
Solutions ot Backsliding
1. ACKNOWLEDGING OUR GUILT. Jer. 3:13
2. RETURNING TO THE FATHER. Lk. 15:18
3. REMEMBERING THE HEIGHT OF FALL. Rev. 2:5
4. PURIFYING OUR HEARTS. Jas. 4:8
5. HUMBLING BEFORE THE LORD. 2 Chron. 33:12
Many years ago, there was a shepherd living in a lonely place with his favourite ﬁddle. This musical instrument was his only comfort. And one day it went out of tune. He knew no one who could help it tuned. So, he wrote a letter to the radio station saying, “Will you please strike ‘A’ on the piano in your studio? . . .my ﬁddle is out of tune. . .so that I can get it tuned again?” Are we out of tune with the Lord? Let’s repent and return to the Lord.
Looking unto Jesus
Looking unto Jesus is to ﬁx our eyes on Jesus in running the spiritual race (Hebrews 12:2). This is a great secret of spiritual life and progress.
Looking unto Jesus
1. The Author of our faith. Heb. 12:2
2. The Perfecter of our faith. Heb. 12:2
3. One Who endured the cross. Heb. 12:2
4. One Who was tempted. Heb. 2:18
5. One Who is faithful. Heb. 3:6
6. One Who sympathises. Heb. 4:15
7. One Who learnt obedience. Heb. 5:8
Once a missionary was chased by his enemies in western China. They wanted to kill him. He got into a boat to escape, but his enemies too got into the boat. So he plunged into the river to get away from them. But they threw spears at him. He escaped miraculously and reached the land. Later one of his friends asked him, “What verse came to you. . .as you were escaping the spears?” The missionary replied, “Verse? Why, the Lord himself was with me!” This is a picture of looking unto Jesus.
There is a difference between a believer and a disciple. We see this diﬀerence in John. 8:31. Who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold on to my teaching. you are really my disciples.” A disciple begins the spiritual life by becoming a believer. But when the believers holds on to and abides in his teaching then he becomes the disciple.
Facts about Discipleship
1. Jesus commanded discipleship. Mt. 28:19
2. All nations to be discipled. Mt. 28:19
3. It involves authority. Mt.10:1
4. It involves the ministry of the word. Act.6:2
5. It involves obedience. Jn 17:6
6. It involves following Jesus. Jn. 1:37
7. It is a relationship with Jesus. Mt. 12:49
Conditions to Discipleship
1. HOLDING TO HIS WORD “If you hold to my. . .you are really my disciples” Jn. 8:31.
2. LOVING ONE ANOTHER—”. . .You are my disciples, if you love one another” Jn. 13:35.
3. BEARING MUCH FRUIT— “. . .to be my disciples” Jn. 15:8.
4. HATING OUR RELATIVES— “. . .hate his. . .be my disciples” Lk.14:26.
5. HATING OWN LIFE— “. . .hate. . .his own life. . .be my disciple” Lk.14:26.
6. CARRYING OWN CROSS— “Carrying his cross. . .be my disciple” Lk. 14:27.
7. FOLLOWING JESUS— “. . .follow me. . .be my disciple” Lk.14:27.
8. GIVING UP EVERYTHING— “. . .give up everything. . .be my disciple” Lk. 14:33.
Results of Dischipleship
1. KNOWING THE TRUTH. Jn. 8:31, 32
2. WE WILL BE SET FREE. Jn. 8:31, 32
3. HUNDRED FOLD BLESSINGS. Mt. 19:29
4. INHERITING ETERNAL LIFE. Mt. 19:29
5. RECEIVE PERSECUTIONS. Mk. 10:29, 30
Examples of Discipleship
1. JOHN Beloved disciple. Jn. 13:23
2. ANANIAS Called disciple. Acts. 9:10
3. TABITHA Helping disciple. Acts. 9:36
4. MNASON Hospitable disciple. Acts. 21:16
5. TIMOTHY Unselﬁsh disciple. Acts.16:1; Phil. 2:20
In 1933 Bro. Bakht Singh returned to Bombay from studies abroad, where he found Christ. But his parents did not allow him to enter the house. So he literally lived in the streets and used the street light to read the Bible for about seven weeks. Yet he kept on witnessing for the Lord· Then he moved to a public park and stayed there many days. As disciple of the Lord, he continued in faith and his master did honour him and provide his need.
Carrying the Cross
Carrying the cross is basically a self-denying spiritual experience in the daily life of a follower in Christ. It is also a mystery and therefore a need for the revelation of the same.
Facts about the Cross
1. CROSS TO BE CARRIED DAILY. Lk.9:23
2. THE POWER OF CROSS CAN BE EMPTIED. 1 Cor. 1:17
3. IT’S MESSAGE IS FOOLISHNESS TO SOME. 1 Cor. 1:18
4. THERE IS AN OFFENCE OF THE CROSS. Gal. 5:11
5. EACH ONE TO TAKE UP OWN CROSS. Mt. 16:24
6. OUR OLD SELF WAS CRUCIFIED. Rom. 6:6
7. THE ONE WHO DOES NOT CARRY THE CROSS IS NOT WORTHY OF JESUS. Mt. 10:38
Blessings of the Cross
1. WE BECOME DISCIPLES OF JESUS. Lk. 14:27
2. WE EXPERIENCE THE POWER OF GOD. 1 Cor. 1:18
3. WE BECOME ONE BODY. Eph. 2:15, 16
4. OUR SELF IS CRUCIFIED. Gal. 2:20
5. THE WORLD IS CRUCIFIED TO US. Gal. 6:14
6. WE ARE CRUCIFIED TO THE WORLD. Gal. 6:14
7. WE ARE FREED FROM SIN. Rom. 6:6, 7
One day Sadhu Sundar Singh preached in few villages and then went to his home in Rampur. His father said, “You can stay here tonight; but you must get out early in the morning; don’t show me your face again!” His father made him to sit at a distance and gave water to drink by pouring it into his hands from a vessel held high. When Sundar Singh saw this “Untouchable treatment,” tears ﬂowed from his eyes. Yet he did not complain. He thanked his father went away carrying his cross for his master!
The Plan of God
The Bible says that God has a plan for each one of our lives. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jer. 29:11.)
God’s Plan in Choosing
1. TO BE HIS TREASURED POSSESSION. Deut. 7:6
2. TO BEAR LASTING FRUIT. Jn. 15:16
3. SO THAT NO ONE MAY BOAST. 1 Cor. 1:29
4. TO BE HOLY AND BLAMELESS. Eph. 1:4
5. TO BE SAVED THROUGH THE SPIRIT. 2 Thess. 2:13
6. TO DECLARE THE PRAISES OF HIM. 1 Pet. 2:9
7. TO BE RICH IN FAITH. Jas. 2:5
Facts about God’s Plan
1. It is one of God’s foreknowledge. Acts. 2:23
2. It will be of hopeful future. Jer. 29:11
3. No one can thwart him. Is. 14:27
4. It is of eternal nature. Eph. 3:11
5. It works to the purpose of his will. Eph. 1:11
On Fulfilling God’s Plan
1. BY THE REVELATION. 1 Cor. 2:9–10
2. BY OUR OBEDIENCE. Acts. 26:19
3. BY OUR BAPTISM. Lk. 7:30
4. THROUGH THE CHURCH. Eph. 3:10–11
5. BY LOVING GOD. Rom. 8:28
6. BY HAVING ASSURANCE. Ps. 138:8
7. BY GOD’S WORKING. Phil. 2:13
Once a father gave a big picture of the world map cut into pieces and asked his son to put them right. Within a short time the son got the world map ready. His father could not believe. But his son said, “Daddy, there was a picture of a man on the other side, and when I got the man together all right, the world came out all right too!” In the same way when I myself get right with God, automatically God’s plan for putting me in this world will be taken care!
Without hope we will be like a tree that uprooted (Job. 19:10). Hope is something not seen and it is an expectation of a good future in faith.
Facts about Hope
1. WE HOPE FOR THINGS THAT WE HAVE NOT. Rom. 8:25
2. HOPE REMAINS WITH FAITH AND LOVE. 1 Cor. 13:13
3. HOPE IS OFFERED TO US. Heb. 6:18
4. WE HAVE A LIVING HOPE. 1 Pet.13
5. HOPE IS FIRM AND SECURE. Heb. 6:19
Objects of Our Hope
1. Hope in the Lord. Ps. 31:24
2. Hope in his unfailing. Love. Ps. 33:18
3. Hope in the resurrection. Acts 23:6
4. Hope in his promise. Acts 26:6
5. Hope in his grace. 1 Pet. 1:13
6. Hope of eternal life. Tit. 3:7
7. Hope of his coming. Tit. 2:13
One day two stone cutters were working. On was cheerful, the other downcast. A passer-by asked them, “What are you doing?” The one who was downcast replied, “What else, can we do? It’s our fate. . . we have to cut stones for the sake of our belly. . . .” Immediately the cheerful labourer interfered, “Sir, we are building a palace for the king!” You see this one had hope and was cheerful the other was hopeless. This is the diﬀerence that hope can make in our lives too!
Commitment is oﬀering or entrusting ourselves to God joyfully without any reservation. God is looking for people who are totally committed to him.
What to Commit?
1. Our way to the Lord. Ps. 37:5
2. Whatever we do. Pro. 16:3
3. Our bodies to God. Rom. 12:1
4. Broken and contrite heart. Ps. 51:17
5. Parts of our bodies· Rom. 6:13
6. Our beloved ones. Gen. 22:2
7. Our rewards. Rev. 4:10
The ‘HOW’ of Commitment
1. BY OBEDIENCE. Rom.6:16
2. THROUGH LOVE. Ep.5:2
3. IN SLAVERY. Rom. 6:19
4. AS A PURE VIRGIN. 2 Cor. 11:2
5. BY FAITH. Heb. 11:4
6. AS LIVING SACRIFICES. Rom. 12:1
7. THROUGH THE SPIRIT. Heb. 9:14
There was a small boy of ten years old named Alexander Duﬀ. One day he went to church, sat and listened to the Word preached. The ushers had received the oﬀerings in the plate and were standing in the rear of the building when Alexander got up from his seat and ran to one of the ushers and said, ‘Sir, put the plate low!” Although wondering at the child, the usher obeyed him. Then Alexander stood on the plate and by that act of commitment said, “O God! I give myself in the oﬀering!!!”
Freedom or liberty is our call and the birthright of every believer. But our freedom is not for indulging in the ﬂesh (Gal. 5:13). Let’s brieﬂy study this subject.
Facts about Liberty
1. CHRIST HAS SET US FREE. Gal. 5:1
2. WE MUST STAND FIRM IN It. Gal. 5:1
3. CREATION TOO WILL BE LIBERATED. Rom. 8:21
4. WE’LL BE JUDGED BY THE LAW OF FREEDOM. Jas. 2:12
5. A SERVANT OF CHRIST IS A FREE MAN. Gal. 1:10
Liberty from What?
1. From the captivity. Is. 61:1–2
2. From the sin. Rom. 6:7
3. From the law. Rom. 7:6
4. From the people. 1 Cor. 7:22–23
5. From the empty way of life. 1 Pet. 1:18
6. From the bondage of Satan. Lk. 13:16
7. From the curse. Gal. 3:13
How to Come to Liberty?
1. BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD. 2 Cor. 3:17
2. BY THE PERFECT LAW. Jam. 1:25
3. BY THE SON OF GOD. Jn. 8:36
4. BY THE BLOOD OF CHRIST 1 Pet. 1:18–19
5. BY DYING TO SELF. Rom. 6:7
6. BY KNOWING THE TRUTH. Jn. 8:32
7. BY WHOLE HEARTED OBEDIENCE. Rom. 6:17–18
Once an eagle was caught in a dense forest with one of its wings injured badly. It was struggling with pain unable to free itself. A passer-by noticed it and climbed the bushy tree and tried to help the eagle. But the eagle thinking him to be the enemy resisting from yielding to him. This only resulted in further damage of its wing. Finally the man gave up and went away. Next day he saw the same eagle with one wing dead on the ground! If only the eagle would have yielded, it would have got help and liberty! The Lord too wants to give all who yield to him!
Only spiritual men who are in one mind can have spiritual authority over the enemy in the spiritual world. It is God’s desire that we share in his spiritual authority against the devil and his agents in our daily life.
Facts about Spiritual Authority
1. Authorities are for Christ. Col. 1:16
2. All authority is given to Christ. Mt. 28:18
3. Christ disarmed Satan’s authorities. Col. 2:15
4. Authority is delegated to the Church. Eph. 1:2123
5. Some angels did not keep it. Jude. 1:6
Purposes of Spiritual Authority
1. TO GIVE ETERNAL LIFE. Jn. 7:2
2. KINGDOM OF GOD TO COME. Mt. 12:28
3. TO BIND AND TO LOOSE. Mt. 18:18
4. TO OVERCOME THE ENEMY. Lk. 10:19
5. FOR THE DELIVERANCE MINISTRY. Mt. 10:1
Exercising Spiritual Authority
1. BY HIS SUFFICIENT GRACE. 2 Cor.12:7–9
2. BY SUBMITTING TO GOD. Jam. 4:7
3. BY PRAYING TO GOD. Mk. 9:29
4. BY CHRIST’S NAME. Lk.10:17
5. BY RECEIVING IT. Lk:10:19
6. BY THE BLOOD OF LAMB. Rev. 12:11
7. BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD. Mt. 12:28
8. BY BEING FILLED WITH GOD’S SPIRIT. Acts. 13-9–12.
9. BY GREAT FAITH. Mt. 8:9–10
10. BY BEING FORCEFUL. Mt. 11:12
11. BY THE DEATH OF CHRIST. Heb. 2:14
12. BY THE WORD OF OUR TESTIMONY. Rev. 12:11
Many years ago under the Janatha Government, Mr. O.P. Tyagi brought an Anti-conversion Bill. Before the Bill could pass, believer’s all over India prayed and fasted. It was the ﬁrst time something like that was witnessed. Believers irrespective of their denominational aﬃliation exercised their spiritual authority in prayer and faith against the invisible spirits. The scene changed drastically. The Government changed! Mr. Tyagi died! The Bill did not come to pass!
The Body of Christ
The Greek word for the church is Ekklesia meaning “called out ones.” And the Church, in the New Testament is called “the Body of Christ.” What a rich name?! We all have our own bodies and it must not be diﬃcult to understand the spiritual body of Christ!
Facts about the Body of Christ
1. It will be built on Christ. Mt. 16:18
2. It will be built by Christ. Mt. 16:18
3. It is the Lord who adds to it. Acts. 2:47
4. It is a profound mystery. Eph. 5:32
5. Christ is the head of the Church. Eph. 5:23
6. Christ cleanses it. Eph. 5:25, 26
7. It is not a man made building. Acts. 7:48
8. It is of the sanctiﬁed ones in Christ. 1 Cor. 1:2
9. Church can meet at the house. Rom. 16:5
10. It is God who arranges its members. 1 Cor. 12:18
How to become the Member of the Body of Christ?
1. By being saved. Acts. 2:47
2. By getting revelation. Mt. 16:1718
3. Through the gospel. Eph. 3:6
4. Through the cross. Eph. 2:16
5. By connecting to the head. Col. 2:19
6. By one spirit. 1 Cor. 12:13
7. By equal concern. 1 Cor.12:15, 25
Significance of the Body of Christ
1. HELL SHALL NOT OVERCOME IT. Mt. 16:18
2. BEARING FRUIT TO GOD. Rom. 7:4
3. BECOMES A HOLY TEMPLE. Eph. 2:21
4. PILLAR AND FOUNDATION OF TRUTH. 1 Tim. 3:15
5. BUILDS ITSELF UP IN LOVE. Eph. 4:16
6. IT HAS THE UNSEARCHABLE RICHES. Eph. 3:8–10
7. SINNERS ARE CONVICTED. 1 Cor. 14:24–25
A story is said about a conference at the carpenter’s shop. Bro. Hammer, Bro. Chisel, Bro. Saw, Bro. Screwdriver, Bro. Sandpaper were all present. They were discussing on the subject, who is the most important person? This they tried to ﬁnd by bringing out the weakness of one another and by judging one another. As they were on a heated argument, Jesus the Carpenter entered. And he began the work using all of them and then left the room. Then Bro. Hammer got up and said, “Brethren, of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons!” Yes! this is a beautiful parable of the body of Christ.
Breaking of Bread
Jesus instituted the communion or the Lord’s supper in remembrance of him. Though it is a simple symbolic celebration it is a covenant with the Lord and our fellow believers in the local church.
Facts about the Breaking of Bread
1. JESUS WAS EAGER ABOUT IT. Lk. 22:15
2. IT WAS REVEALED TO PAUL. 1 Cor. 11:23
3. THE BREAD SYMBOLISES HIS BODY. 1 Cor. 11:24
4. THE CUP SYMBOLISES HIS BLOOD. 1 Cor. 11:25
5. IT IS DONE IN REMEMBRANCE OF HIM. 1 Cor. 11:24, 25
6. IT IS NOT TO BE PARTAKEN UNWORTHILY. 1 Cor. 11:27
7. UNWORTHY PARTAKER IS JUDGED. 1 Cor. 11:29
Significance of the Breaking of Bread
1. It signiﬁes the new covenant. Mt. 26:28
2. It signiﬁes the forgiveness of sins. Mt. 26:28
3. It is a memorial service. 1 Cor. 11:24–25
4. It proclaims the Lord’s death. 1 Cor. 11:26
5. It is the participation in the Blood. 1 Cor. 10:16
6. One loaf signiﬁes one body. 1 Cor. 10:17
Qualifications of the Breaking of Bread
1. REPENTANCE. Acts 2:38
2. ACCEPTING THE MESSAGE. Acts 2:41
3. OBEYING IN THE WATERS OF BAPTISM. Acts 2:41
4. EXAMINING ONE’S OWN SELF. 1 Cor. 11–28
5. RECOGNIZING THE BODY OF THE LORD. 1 Cor. 11:29
6. WALKING IN LIGHT 1 Jn. 1:7
7. THANKSGIVING SPIRIT. 1 Cor. 10:16
A children’s story is said about a hen and a pig going for a morning walk. They passed in front of a small hotel, where the menu board read like this:
This mornings special Omlette Sausage!
Then the hen said proudly to the pig, “Look, I have come to give a DONATION to make an omlette!” The pig interrupted and said, “But I have come to SACRIFICE myself to make that sausage!” Yes, we can break bread with an attitude of mere donation or sacriﬁce!
We read about the GREAT commission in Matthew 28. and Mark 16. But that involves a SMALL commission of baptising the disciples; though small yet signiﬁcant because of the One who commissioned!
Facts about Water Baptism
1. There is only one true baptism. Eph. 4:5
2. It was given where water was plenty. Jn. 3:23
3. Flood during Noah’s time symbolic. 1 Pet.3:21
4. It is a pledge of a good conscience. 1 Pet. 3:21
5. By not taking we reject God’s purpose. Lk. 7:30
6. Passing through the sea was a picture. 1 Cor. 10:12
7. If the baptism already taken is not correct can be rebaptised.
Purpose of Water Baptism
1. OBEDIENCE TO CHRIST. Mt. 28:19–20
2. TO EXPRESS ACCEPTANCE. Acts 2:41
3. TO FULFILL RIGHTEOUSNESS. Mt. 3:15
4. TO LAY THE FOUNDATION. Heb. 6:1–2
5. TO IDENTIFY WITH HIM. Rom. 6:3–4
Results of Water Baptizm
1. WE ACKNOWLEDGE GOD’S WAY. Lk. 7:29
2. PROMISED PRESENCE OF CHRIST. Mt. 28:19–20
3. CLOTHED WITH CHRIST. Gal. 3:27
4. OPEN HEAVEN IS EXPERIENCED. Lk. 3:21
5. HOLY SPIRIT DESCENDED. Lk. 3:21–22
6. VOICE FROM HEAVEN. Lk. 3:21–22
7. NEW LIFE TO LIVE. Rom. 6:3–4
Once upon a time the Roman Emperor Diocletian was persecuting the Church. The Christian experiences were mocked by acting it on the stage. One day an actor named Genesius was acting on the water baptism in order to mock in front of the Emperor. Suddenly he was convicted of sin and to the surprise of the crowd and the Emperor, Genesius cried out, “I want to receive the grace of Christ that I may be born again. . .all of you who have laughed at this show. . .Christ is the true king.” He was ordered to be tortured and he died a great witness for Christ! Though water baptism is a simple act yet it is a witness for Christ.
We are primarily called to be the witnesses for Christ. And the goal of our witnessing is to win people for the Lord. But this must come out of a personal burden and not by others compelling.
Reasons for not Winning Soul
1. LACK OF BURDEN. Rom. 9:1–3
2. LACK OF FEAR OF THE LORD. 2 Cor. 5:11
3. NOT KNOWING THE VALUE OF A SOUL. Mt. 16:26
4. NOT REALISING OUR OBLIGATION. Rom. 1:14
5. NOT WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE. 1 Cor. 10:33
Reasons for Soul Winning
1. It is the Father’s will. 1 Tim. 2:3–4
2. The Lord Jesus Commanded it. Mt. 28:19
3. The power is given for it. Acts 1:8
4. The needy souls are awaiting. Acts 16:9
5. The trust is committed to us. 1 Cor. 9:17
Guidelines for Soul Winning
1. Speak about God’s love. Jn. 3:16
2. Make known that all have sinned. Rom. 3:23
3. Proclaim that salvation is not by works. Eph. 2:9
4. Declare that salvation is by Christ only. Acts 4:12
5. Give opportunity to receive Christ. Jn. 1:12
At this point the sinner’s prayer for forgiveness can be repeated if necessary! And a literature or cassette can be given as a follow up material to start with.
Once there was an evangelist who was disheartened in his ministry. Because his eﬀorts bore no fruits in winning souls. He wrote a letter to his godly leader—William Booth. And immediately Booth sent a telegram advising— “TRY TEARS.” That evangelist took this advice and sought the Lord examing his own soul ﬁrst. Then the Lord ﬁlled him with his Spirit, which resulted in the blessings of many souls!
When God’s call in general is willingly obeyed, then speciﬁc calling by which God calls us individually is revealed clearly!
Facts about God’s Calling
1. GOD CALLS Mt. 22:14.
2. CALLING IS ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSE. Rom. 8:28
3. THE CALLED ONES ARE JUSTIFIED. Rom. 8:30
4. WE ARE TO RETAIN OUR CALL. 1 Cor. 7:17
5. WE ARE TO LIVE WORTHY OF IT. Eph. 4:1
6. THE ONE WHO CALLED IS FAITHFUL. 1 Thess. 5:24
7. WE SHOULD KNOW OUR CALLING. Eph. 1:18
8. WE MUST MAKE SURE OF IT. 2 Pet. 1:10
9. GOD CALLS .THE WEAK AND FOOLISH 1 Cor. 1:26
10. GOD’S CALLING IS IRREVOCABLE. Rom. 11:29
The Source of God’s Calling
1. GOD THE FATHER. 1 Cor.1:9
2. THE LORD JESUS. Lk. 5:32
3. THE HOLY SPIRIT. Acts 13:2
4. THROUGH THE GOSPEL. 2 Thess. 2:14
5. THROUGH GODLY MAN. Acts 16:3–4
6. BY THE GRACE. Gal. 1:6
General Calling of God
l. TO FELLOWSHIP WITH JESUS. 1 Cor. 1:9
2. PEACE OF CHRIST TO RULE. Col. 3:15
3. CALLED TO BE FREE. Gal. 5:13
4. CALLED TO ONE HOPE. Eph. 4:4
5. TO LIVE A HOLY LIFE. 2 Thess. 4:7
6. TO ETERNAL LIFE. 1 Tim. 6:12
7. TO SUFFER. 1 Pet. 2:21
8. TO BLESS. 1 Pet. 3:9
9. TO HIS KINGDOM AND GLORY. 1 Thess. 2:12
10. LIVE IN PEACE. 1 Cor. 7:15
Once Robert Moffat, a Scottish missionary to South Africa came to challenge people for God’s work. One day he prepared a message on Proverbs 8:4, “To you, O men, I call out!”
On his arrival he noted that there was only a small group. That too ONLY LADIES! Yet he spoke on that verse unwillingly. On that day one young boy had come to repair the musical organ. He was touched by the Word. Though he was the only boy! He decided to be a missionary. Years later he spent the rest of his life serving the unreached tribes of Africa. His name was DAVID LIVINGSTON!
The Bible talks about one thing that will follow those who die in the Lord and that is their good deeds! (Rev.14:13). Therefore as we are alive, let us not take rest nor give rest to God in order to do good works (Is. 62:67).
Facts about Good Works
1. Salvation is not by good works. Eph. 2:9
2. We are created for it. Eph. 2:10
3. God has prepared it in advance. Eph. 2:10
4. We do it as there is opportunity. Gal. 6:10
5. We bear fruit in it. Col.1:10
6. It is appropriate for women. 1 Tim. 2:10
7. It should lead to praise God. Mt. 5:16
Ways to Good Works
1. REMEMBER THE POOR. Gal. 2:10
2. LOOK AFTER ORPHANS. Jam. 1:27
3. RECOGNITION TO WIDOWS. 1 Tim. 5:3,16
4. BRINGING UP CHILDREN. 1 Tim .5:10
5. SHOWING HOSPITALITY. 1 Tim. 5:10
6. HELPING THE TROUBLED. 1 Tim. 5:10
7. HELPING GOD’S PEOPLE. Heb. 6:10
Reasons for Doing Good Works
1. We are God’s workmanship. Eph. 2:10
2. God is able to do it. 2 Cor. 9:8
3. We have trusted in God. Tit. 3:8. 4
4. It is proﬁtable for others. Tit. 3:8
5. Pagans to glorify God. 1 Pet. 2:12
6. Christ gave himself for us. Tit. 2:14
7. Christ set us an example. Acts. 10:38
Importance of Good Works
1. IT’S A MEMORIAL OFFERING BEFORE GOD. Acts 10:4
2. IT’S A PURE AND FAULTLESS RELIGION. Jam. 1:27
3. GOD IS PLEASED WITH THEM. Heb. 13:16
4. IT’S A FIRM FOUNDATION FOR FUTURE. 1 Tim. 6:1819
5. TO TAKE HOLD OF TRUE LIFE. 1 Tim. 16:19
6. GOD’S WILL IS .THUS DONE. Heb. 13:21
7. USEFUL TO THE MASTER. 2 Tim. 2:21
Many years ago a doctor was relaxing in front of a ﬁre place as heavy rain kept pouring. Suddenly he heard a knock at the door. Outside a widow was crying, “My boy, my Davy is very sick!” The doctor was not happy to go as it was pouring. Also he knew that he would not get any money from the poor widow. Yet against his own feeling he went in that rain drenching, walking ﬁve miles in the night. And Davy recovered. His name was David Lloyd George. Later the doctor said that he never dreamt that doing that little good work sacriﬁcially, he actually was saving the life of the future prime minister of England!
Ministry is the service that God’s people oﬀer God and to one another and also to others in the Spirit of God for his glory. It may vary according ones calling and gifts!
Facts about God’s Ministry
1. We are to serve God only. Deut. 6:13
2. We cannot serve God and money. Mt. 6:24
3. The ministry of Jesus is superior. Heb. 8:6
4. Old covenant ministry brought death. 2 Cor. 3:7
5. New covenant ministry is of the Spirit. 2 Cor. 3:8
How to do God’s Ministry?
1. BY FOLLOWING—”Whoever serves me must follow me” Jn. 12:26.
2. DO FOR THE LORD— “Whatever you do. . .as working for the Lord” Col. 3:23.
3. WITH GREAT HUMILITY—“I served the. Lord with great humility. . .” Act. 20:19.
4. WITH OUR MEANS—“. . .were helping to support out of their own means” Lk 8:3.
5. THROUGH GOD’S MERCY— “. . .Through God’s mercy we have this ministry. . .” 2 Cor. 4:1.
6. WITH SPIRITUAL FERVOUR—“. . .Keep your spiritual fervour serving the Lord” Rom. 12:11.
7. PROCLAIMING THE GOSPEL— “to be a minister. .
.proclaiming the gospel. . .” Rom.15:16.
8. BY BEING WISE— “. . .not allow. . .spoken. . .evil. . .serves
Christ” Rom. 14:16,18.
9. BY THE LORD’S ASSIGNMENT— “. . .servants. . .as the
Lord has assigned. . .” 1 Cor. 3:5.
10. IN THE NEWNESS OF SPIRIT— “. . .we serve in the new way of the Spirit. . .” Rom 7:6.
Qualification of God’s Servant
1. BEING FREE FROM SIN. Rom. 6:22
2. NOT TRYING TO PLEASE MEN. Gal. 1:10
3. RECEIVING GOD’S SPIRIT. Acts 2:18
4. FOLLOWING WHOLEHEARTEDLY. Num. 14:24
5. SUFFERING IN THE SOUL. Is. 53:11
6. WRESTLING IN PRAYER. Col. 4:12
7. WALKING WITHOUT BLAME. Ps. 101:6
One day in France, a huge crowd bent on violence and destruction moved on the streets of Paris. Soldiers with guns could not stop them· Even a loaded cannon aimed in their direction was deﬁed! Suddenly a white haired man came in front of them trying to get their attention. And the leader of the disorderly crowd cried, “Stop! That’s Dela Eure! This man’s character has been pure and blameless. Let’s listen to him!” Immediately the rioters were silent. What weapons could not do, a single person who served the Lord was able to accomplish. At his request the uprising was stopped!
Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Gifts of the Holy Spirit is the supernatural abilities that God gives to his people for the beneﬁt of the church and needy people as he determines. As A.W. Tozer rightly said that the gifts of the Holy Spirit is truly a missing Jewel in the church!
Facts about the Gifts of Holy Spirit
1. IT IS GIVEN FOR THE COMMON GOOD. 1 Cor. 12:7
2. GOD GIVES IT AS HE DETERMINES. 1 Cor. 12:11
3. WE SHOULD NOT BE IGNORANT OF IT. 1 Cor. 12:1
4. WE SHOULD EAGERLY DESIRE IT. 1 Cor. 12:31
5. FOLLOW LOVE AND EAGERLY DESIRE. 1 Cor. 14:1
6. USE IT TO SERVE OTHERS. 1 Pet. 4:10
7. GOD BE PRAISED THROUGH. 1 Pet. 4:11
8. USE IT FOR STRENGTHENING THE CHURCH,.
1 Cor. 14:3
9. IT’S POSSIBLE FOR CARNAL BELIEVERS TO HAVE IT.
1 Cor. 1:7; 3:1
10. IT’S POSSIBLE TO HAVE GIFTS WITHOUT LOVE.
Facts about the Gift of Prophecy
1. We should especially desire it. 1 Cor. 14:1
2. It strengthens others. 1 Cor. 14:3
3. It encourages. 1 Cor. 14:3
4. It comforts. 1 Cor. 14:3
5. It ediﬁes the Church. 1 Cor. 14:4
6. It convicts the sinner. 1 Cor. 14:24
7. It makes the sinner a worshipper. 1 Cor. 14:25
8. Everyone is instructed by it. 1 Cor. 14:31
9. It is the testimony of Jesus. Rev. 19:10
10. Good ﬁght can be made by it. 1 Tim. 1:18
Once a pastor announced his ﬁrst healing meeting in South Korea. Many were present that evening. But the pastor was very nervous and doubtful. He wanted to pray for simple sickness like headache or stomach pain. But a deaf and dumb man was brought; the pastor was more nervous! Yet in simple faith he exercised his spiritual gifts. That man could hear and began to speak. Then the pastor announced, “Bring all the deaf and dumbs, cancer patients. . . .!” Today he is the pastor of the biggest church in the world in terms of numbers.
Women’s ministry cannot be underestimated. One Huldah was enough to bring a king to repentance and to a wholeheartedness in following the Lord, which in turn brought a revival to the entire Nation (2 Kings 22 and 23).
1. Woman who loved Jesus much. Lk. 7:47
2. Canaanite who had great faith. Mt.15:28
3. Thabitha was always doing good. Acts. 9:36
4. Widow who gave everything. Mk. 12:42, 44
5. Lydia was worshipper of God. Acts. 16:14
6. Sarah who obeyed Abraham. 1 Pet. 3:56
7. Mary who chose the better. Lk. 10:39,42
1. GIVING CHILDREN TO JESUS. Mt. 20:2121
2. HELPING TO SUPPORT DISCIPLES. Lk. 8:3
3. HELPING THE CHURCH. Rom. 16:2
4. TRAINING THE YOUNGER WOMEN. Tit. 2:45
5. WORKING HARD IN THE LORD. Rom. 16:12
6. DEVOTING TO GOOD DEEDS. 1 Tim. 5:10
7. CONTINUALLY PRAYING TO GOD. 1 Tim. 5:5
Once there was a Bible conference going on in North India. Every body was feasting on the Word of God. They were blessed with the new messages and revelations. But near the conference hall there was a toilet that was blocked and ﬁlthy smell polluting the atmosphere. The following day the smell was even more. People were interested to hear new speakers, but didn’t bother to do something about the bad smell. One elderly sister with a Christlike heart straight away put her hand in the toilet seat and pulled the banana skin which somebody had thrown in the toilet seat and cleaned it. People later forgot the messages they heard at the conference, but not the ministry that sister did!
Note: This study is written by Stella Chelladurai.
Facts about Glory
1. Sin makes to lose glory. Rom. 3:23
2. The heavens declare it. Ps.19:1
3. The earth shall be ﬁlled with it. Hab. 2:14
4. It is revealed in miracles. Jn. 2:11
5. We are destined for it.1 Cor. 2:7
6. Do all for God’s glory. 1Cor. 10:31
7. We are called for eternal glory. 1 Pet. 5:10
1. Glorious NAME of our God. 1 Chron. 29:13
2. Glorious DEEDS of God. Ps. 111:3
3. Glorious PRESENCE of God. Is. 3:8
4. Glorious FREEDOM of ours. Rom. 8:21
5. Glorious MINISTRY of ours. 2 Cor. 3:9
6. Glorious GRACE of God. Eph. 1:6
7. Glorious GOSPEL of God. 1 Tim. 1:11
A story is told about a small boy who came from a poor home. He was shabbily dressed and is clothes were patched. Although he liked all of his teachers at school one of them was a special favourite. When asked why, he simply replied, “She’s so interested in me. She doesn’t seem to see my patches.” That’s the way we should be taken up with the glory of God and not the other things which are like patches.
The clearest picture of Revival is seen in Ezekiel 37. When the breath of God came upon the dry bones under the prophetic ministry of the man of God, there was life resulting in a vast army for God! “Will You not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?” (Ps. 85:6).
What is Revival?
Meaning of Revival in Luke. 15:
1. Coming to one’s own senses. v.17
2. Going back to the Father. v.18
3. Reconciling to the Father. v.20
4. Praying to the Father. v.21
5. Confessing sin to the Father. v.21
6. Living again from the dead. v.24
7. Celebrating the feast. v. 2324
Ways to Revival
1. THE SPIRIT OF GOD. 2 chron. 20:1314
2. PRAYING TO GOD. Ps.85:6
3. REPENTANCE. Joel. 2:12,14
4. THE WORD OF GOD. 2 Chron. 34:19,33
5. PERSONAL DISTRESS. 2 Chron. 33:12–17
6. THE SPIRIT OF LOWLINESS. Is. 57:15
7. THE HEART OF CONTRITENESS. Is. 57:15
Results of Revival
1. CONFESSING THE EVIL DEED. Acts. 19:18
2. GIVING UP THE OLD THINGS. Acts. 19:19
3. SPREADING OF THE WORD. Acts. 19:20
4. CALLING TO THE MINISTRY. Acts. 13:2
5. DEDICATING TO THE LORD. 2 Chron. 29:31
6. HAVING THE UNITY OF MIND. 2 Chron. 30:12
7. DECIDING FOR RESTITUTION. Lk. 19:8
One day a pastor was on his way home after ﬁnishing the meeting in a village church. It began to rain. And it rained spiritually too! Yes the Holy Spirit began to convict him of his wrong attitude towards one of his fellow believers and urged him to go and recon- cile. He had many reasons for not going to that part at night and in the rain! Finally he went and knocked at the door of his fellow believer. And the door was opened. . .there stood his brother in Christ! Before he could ﬁnish confessing, the Spirit of God moved in their hearts to a repentance and reconciliation. It was a beginning of the Korean Revival!
Soulishness is nothing but our humaness. We are created with body, soul and spirit. (1 Thess. 5:23). When we react in a human way, it is soulishness. Unless God gives us the light and revelation on our soulishness, we will not overcome it to get the divine nature.
Facts about Soulishness
1. WE GOT IT FROM ADAM. 1 Cor. 15:45
2. IT IS A NATURAL ONE. 1 Cor. 15:46
3. IT MINDS THE THINGS OF MEN. Mt. 16:23
4 IT CAN COME FROM GOOD INTENTION. Mt. 16:22
5. IT CAN BE INFLUENCED BY SATAN. Mt. 16:23
6. IT CAN BE HIGHLY GIFTED. 1 Cor. 13:12
7. IT CAN BE SACRIFICIAL. 1 Cor. 13:3
8. IT CAN BE OVER CONFIDENT. Mt. 26:33
9. IT QUICKLY DEFENDS. Mt. 26:51
10. IT CANNOT ENDURE TO THE END. Mt. 26:70
11. IT CAN LEAD TO WORRY AND UPSET. Lk. 10:41
12. IT MAKES US UNWORTHY OF JESUS. Mt. 10:37
How to Overcome Soulishness
1. THE LIVING WORD. Heb. 4:12
2. LIVE BY THE SPIRIT. Gal. 5:16
3. POUR IT TO DEATH. Is. 53:12
4. HUMBLE YOURSELF. Phil. 2:8
5. OBEY TO THE END. Phil. 2:8
6. LET CHRIST LIVE. Gal. 2:20
7. LIVE BY FAITH IN HIM. Gal. 2:20
From childhood I had a soulish—Hero–worshipping nature. Whether it be with my school teachers, college teachers or even with my religious priests! It did continue even after becoming a believer. I was attached in a soulish way with a godly man. He did sense it and he began to “shake me oﬀ” whenever possible. At ﬁrst I did not understand! Finally God who is the Master of arranging circumstances allowed the “umblical cord” to be cut! So that I could be detached from soulishness to a spiritual relationship which comes through the cross and the Lord!
The essence of self life is rightly seen in the words of
King Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel 4:30.
“Is not this the great Babylon I have built. . .by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?”
Marks of Self Life
1. JEALOUSY. 1 Cor. 3:3
2. QUARRELING. 1 Cor. 3:3
3. ARROGANT. Rom. 11:20
4. FAVORITISM. Jas. 2:1
5. UNBELIEF. Mk. 9:19
6. PRAYERLESSNESS. Is.43:22
7. SLUGGISHNESS. Prov. 6:6,9
8. WORRYING. Mt. 6:25
9. LOVE OF MONEY. Lk.16:14
10. STORING UP THINGS. Lk. 12:21
Ways to Unselfish Life
1. LAYING DOWN OUR LIVES TO OTHERS. 1 Jn. 3:16
2. LOVING GOD WHOLE HEARTEDLY. Lk. 10:27
3. NOT PLEASING OURSELVES. Rom. 15:1, 3
4. SEEKING THE GOOD OF OTHERS. 1 Cor. 10:33
5. BECOMING SLAVE TO WIN OTHERS. 1 Cor. 9:19
6. BEING CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST. Gal. 2:20
7. CONSIDERING EVERYTHING LOSS. Phil. 3:8
8. GOING AROUND DOING GOOD. Acts. 10:38
9. HAVING CONCERN FOR GOD’S NAME. Jn. 12:28.
10. LIVING ONLY FOR GOD’S GLORY. 1 Cor. 10:31
There was a child of God who planted mangoes in his garden. Each year there was a good harvest. But for some time there was no good yield. As a result he began to incur loss every year. One day he went to his garden and knelt down there and prayed.
“Lord, I’m running heavy loss each year! At least this year let there be no loss. Dear Lord, please bless my garden. . . .” Just as he said these words, voice of the Lord came to him asking, “whose garden?” He was about to say again “my garden,” but he realised that it was of the Lord and said,
“Lord, your garden!” That year he got rich harvest of mangoes! What is that we are holding on selﬁshly saying, “My. . .?”
The Law of Moses
The law of Moses in general is the commandments given to the
Jews. It serves as a school teacher leading to Christ.
Facts about the Law
1. It’s called as the Law of Moses. Jos. 8:31
2. It’s called as the Law of the Lord. Ezek. 7:10
3. It was given through Moses. Jn. 1:17
4. It is only a shadow. Heb. 10:1
5. It is spiritual. Rom. 7:14
6. It is Holy Rom. 7:12
7. Christ came to fulﬁll it. Mt. 5:17
8. It was put through angels. Gal. 3:19
9. Obeying partly is breaking all. Jas. 2:10
10. Those of grace are not under Law. Rom. 6:14
Note: Though the believers under grace are freed from the law
(Rom.7:6). Yet not free from the moral and divine laws.
Purpose of the Law
1. TO MAKE SIN KNOWN. Rom. 7:7
2. TO GIVE LIFE TO SIN. Rom. 7:8,9
3. IT’S MADE FOR THE LAW BREAKERS. 1 Tim. 9
4. BECAUSE OF TRANSGRESSIONS. Gal. 3:19
5. TO LEAD US TO CHRIST. Ga1. 3:24–25
Limitations of the Law
1. CANNOT JUSTIFY US. Acts. 13:39
2. CANNOT CONDEMN SIN IN THE FLESH. Rom. 8:3
3. CANNOT MAKE PEOPLE PERFECT. Heb. 10:1
4. CANNOT GAIN RIGHTEOUSNESS. Gal. 2:21
5. CANNOT HAVE CLEAR CONSCIENCE. Heb. 9:8–9
In my school days I had a teacher who was very very strict. When he enters the school, he would ﬁrst glance at every student who is standing. He expects everyone to stand straight, no leaning on the table or bending of legs allowed. Only after ensuring this, he would ask us to sit. He was a very disciplinary person. There was nothing wrong in his teaching or his rules. That’s how law is. Years later when I met him, he was retired and he was so kind, friendly and invited me to come and have meal. He was still ﬁrm but yet gracious! I was happy to be freed from “The Law Teacher” and happier still to get a “Friend!” It was necessary to go through the “law” till we have a Friend in Jesus!
Sins of the Tongue
A Chineese proverb goes something like this—
“A six inch tongue can destroy a six feet man!” The Bible talks much about the tongue. We can be God’s spokesmen if only we ‘utter worthy and not worthless words” (Jer. 15:19).
Facts About the Tongue
From Jame chapter 3:
1. It makes great boasts. v. 5
2. It is a ﬁre, a world of evil. v. 6
3. It corrupts the whole person. v. 6
4. It sets the course of life. v. 6
5. It sets on ﬁre by hell. v. 6
6. No man can tame it. v. 8
7. It is a restless evil. v. 8
8. It is full of deadly poison. v. 8
9. With it we praise God. v. 9
10. With it we curse men. v. 9
Sins of the Tongue
1. FOOLISH TALK. Eph. 5:4
2. COURSE JOKING. Eph. 5:4
3. FALSEHOOD. Eph. 4:25
4. GODLESS CHATTER. 2 Tim. 2:16
5. JUDGING OTHERS. Mt. 7:1
6. CARELESS WORDS. Mt. 12:36
7. COMPLAINING. Phil. 2:14
Results of the Sins of Tongue
1. Got the curse of leprosy. Num. 12:10
2. Got premature death. Acts. 5:4–5
3. The anger of the Lord. Num. 12:9
4. The evil one inspires. Mt. 5:37
5. More ungodliness. 2 Tim. 2:16
6. Accounting on Judgement day. Mt. 12:36
7. Place in the ﬁery lake. Rev. 21:8
God Pleasing Tongues
1. The tongue of the righteous. Prov. 10:20
2. The tongue that brings healing. Prov. 15:4
3. The tongue of the Wise. Prov. 15:2
4. Praise on the Tongue. Ps. 66:17
5. Tongue singing of the Word. Ps. 119:172
6. Faithful instruction on it. Prov. 31:26
7. Tongue with songs of joy. Ps. 126:2
Once three church members were talking about their “weaknesses.” One said, “My weakness is to steal the offering money.” The second one said, “My weakness is in the area of being moral!” Then the last one said, “My weakness is gossiping! Now I got two new matters to gossip. I can’t wait anymore. . . let me go. . . .” And he left to gossip about the other two! Let the Lord sanctify our tongue to glorify him.
The word of God says that, “The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it. . . .” (Ps. 24:1)
So money is God’s! In this light, let’s see what the Word has to say about money speciﬁcally!
Facts about Money
1. HARD WORK BRINGS PROFIT. Prov. 14:23
2. DO NOT WEAR OUT TO BE RICH. Prov. 23:4
3. LOVE OF MONEY IS THE EVIL’S ROOT. 1 Tim. 6:10
4. EAGERNESS FOR MONEY LEADS ASTRAY. 1 Tim. 6:10
5. EAGERNESS FOR MONEY BRINGS GRIEF. 1 Tim. 6:10
6. IT’S HARD FOR RICH MAN TO ENTER KINGDOM.
7. WE SHOULD BE TRUSTWORTHY IN IT’S USE. Lk. 16:11
1. Kind to the poor is lending God. Prov. 19:17
2. Help the weak by hard work. Acts. 20:35
3. It is more blessed to give. Acts. 20:35.
4. One who gives lack nothing. Prov. 28:27
5. Giving is a memorial oﬀering. Acts. 10:4
6. Give and it shall be given. Lk. 6:38
7. Give to the government that is due. Rom. 13:7
1. Do not turn away from the borrower. Mt. 5:42
2. You will borrow from none. Deut. 28:12
3. Borrowing is the part of Curse. Deut. 28:15, 44
4. The wicked borrow and pays not. Ps. 37:21
5. The borrower becomes the servant. Prov. 22:7
6. Wisdom required in borrowing. Deut. 15:3
7. Let no debt remain. Rom. 13:8
On Giving to God
1. GIVE ACCORDING TO THE BLESSING. Deut. 16:17
2. DO NOT GIVE IMMORAL MONEY. Deut. 23:18
3. GIVE CHEERFULLY. 2 Cor. 9:7
4. IT IS PLEASING TO GOD. Phil. 4:18
5. RECONCILING FIRST GIVING NEXT. Mt. 5:23–24
6. IT RESULTS IN THANKSGIVING TO GOD. 2 Cor. 9:11
7. GIVE TO OTHERS THROUGH THE ELDERS. Acts. 4:35
8. GIVE NOT IN PRETENSE. Acts. 5:3–4
9. GIVE OURSELVES FIRST TO GOD. 2 Cor. 8:5
10. JESUS WATCHES HOW WE PUT. Mk. 12:41
The story is told that one day a beggar by the road side asked for alms from Alexander the great as he passed by. The man was poor and wretched and had no claim upon the ruler, no right even to life, a solicitous hand. Yet the Emperor threw him several gold coins· A courtier was astonished as his generosity and commented, “Sir, copper coins would adequately meet a beggar’s need. Why give him gold?” Alexander responded in royal fashion, “Copper coins would suit the beggar’s need, but gold coins suit Alexander’s giving.” How about our giving to the Lord?
The New and the Living Way
The Lord Jesus has opened up a new and a living way far us through the rending of his ﬂesh into the very presence of God. As he inaugurated it, we can come and live in God’s presence by rending our ﬂesh in temptations.
The New and the Living Way
1. It is a way opened by Jesus. Heb. 10:19–20
2. It is a way opened for us. Heb. 10:20
3. It is way to God’s presence. Heb. 6:19
4. It’s way through the ﬂesh. Heb. 10:20
5. Jesus had a ﬂesh like us. Heb. 2:14–15
6. Jesus was tempted just as we are. Heb. 4:15
7. We should follow him in the rending of the curtain—our ﬂesh in this way! Heb. 6:20. Mt. 27:50–51
How to Enter?
1. By following him. Heb. 13:13
2. By bearing the disgrace. Heb. 13:13
3. By the blood of Jesus. Heb. 10:19
4. By exercising our hope. Heb. 6:19
5. By approaching with conﬁdence. Heb. 4:16
6. By a sincere heart. Heb. 10:22
7. By having full assurance of faith. Heb. 10:22
8. By cleansing from a guilty conscience. Heb. 10:2
Blessings of the Way
1. OUR SELF IS CRUCIFIED. Gal. 2:20
2. FELLOWSHIP IS EXPERIENCED. 1 Jn. 1:3
3. ONENESS IS ESTABLISHED. Jn. 17:21
4. WE GET THE REST OF JESUS. Mt. 11:28–29
5. WE GET REVELATIONS. 2 Cor. 12:2, 7
6. WE ARE TRANSFORMED. 2 Cor. 3:18
7. WE ARE FREED FROM SIN. 1 Pet. 4:2
There was a famous boxer called John Selwyn who was later converted and looking after a church. One day when John corrected a member of his church, that man did’nt like it. So he angrily struck John a violent blow on the face with his clenched ﬁst. John Selwyn could easily have knocked him out instead he showed the other cheek waiting calmly to be hit a second time. His church member left the church greatly ashamed.
Years later that man got converted and gave his testimony before the church. It was customary at that time for a believer to choose a Christian name for himself after he was saved. When asked if he wished to follow this practice, he replied, “Yes, call me JOHN SELWYN! He’s the one who taught me what Jesus Christ is really like!” Beloved, this is the new and the living way!
Revelation 3:20 says:
“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will go in and eat with him and he with me!” This is the last message of the Lord Jesus. to the last Church in
Revelation and it is very relevant to us who live in the last days!
Who is Standing?
1. The Lord Jesus christ. Rev. 3:14
2. The one who can open the door. 2:18
3. The one who is called “Amen” 3:14
4. The one who is faithful. 3:14
5. The one who is true witness. 3:14
Where is he Standing?
1. At the door. Rev. 3:20
2. Door of a believer. 3:20
3. Door of the leader. 3:20
Why is He Standing?
1. Because of the lukewarm spirit. Rev. 3:16
2. Because the door is closed. 3:20
3. Because he wants to knock. 3:20
Why is Knocking?
1. He wants to come in. Rev. 3:20
2. He wants to eat with the one who opens. 3:20
3. He wants the one who overcome to sit with him on his throne!
WHAT IS THE LUKEWARM SPIRIT?
1. It is a spirit of neither hot nor cold. Rev. 3:15,16
2. It is a “I am rich” spirit. 3:16–17
3. It is a “I have acquired” spirit. 3:17
4. It is a “l do not need a thing” spirit. 3:17
5. It is not realising own condition. 3:17
6. It is spiritual blindness. 3:17
7. It is spiritual nakedness. 3:17
HOW TO OVERCOME LUKEWARM SPIRIT?
1. By buying reﬁned gold. Rev. 3:18, 20
2. By buying white clothes. 3:18
3. By buying eye-salve. 3:18
4. By repenting individually. 3:19
5. By receiving rebukes. 3:19
6. By being disciplined. 3:19
7. By hearing what his Spirit says. 3:22
It was a Christmas day in 1994. I missed a bus in Bangalore to go to Hubli and returned to Kolar around 11 o’clock in the night. I knocked at the door of my house. . .ﬁve minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes. . .one hour! But no sign of opening the door! I not only knocked at the door but also the windows. It was pass mid night. . . I went on knocking. one o’clock. . .2, 3, 4, 5 in the morning. . .still I went on knocking. Finally the door was opened by some one who was fast asleep. I can never forget that day. I began to wonder how the Lord might have felt when he stood at the door of my heart knocking because of my lukewarmness! Are you lukewarm? Know where Jesus is!
The Gentle and Quiet Spirit
The gentle or meek and the quiet spirit which Peter mentions is a virtue meant not only for godly women but for godly men also. Our Lord Jesus had this spirit (Matthew11:29).
Facts about the Gentle and Quiet Spirit
1. IT IS AN UNFADING BEAUTY. 1 Pet. 3:4
2. IT IS OF GREAT WORTH IN GOD’S SIGHT. 1 Pet. 3:4
3. IT IS OF CHRIST. 2 Cor. 10:1
4. IT IS NEEDED TO RESTORE OTHERS. Gal .6:1
5. WE MUST CLOTHE WITH IT. Col. 3:12
6. WE MUST PURSUE AFTER IT. 1 Tim. 6:11.
7. THE HOLY WOMEN OF THE PAST HAD IT. 1 Pet. 3:5.
Ways to Have this Gentle and Quiet Spirit
1. BY COMING TO JESUS— “Come to me, all you who are. . . .” Mt. 11:28
2. BY TAKING HIS YOKE— “Take my yoke upon you. . . .” Mt. 11:29
3. BY LEARNING FROM JESUS— “Learn from me, for I am gentle. . . .” Mt. 11:29
4. BY THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT—“The fruit of the Spirit is. . . gentleness” Gal. 5:22–23
5. BY THE SPIRIT OF SUBMISSION— “Be submissive. . .of a gentle and quiet spirit.” 1 Pet. 3:1, 4
One day there was a question and answers session at the women’s a sisters Meeting. The man of God was getting ready to answer as the questions from sisters on a piece of paper kept coming towards the pulpit.
There was one responsible brother in that meeting. who also wrote a question asking,” What is a meek and quiet spirit?” This question was selected to answer ﬁrst. And the preacher said, “Which ever sister has written this question is a ‘blessed sister’ if she is really longing to know the answer and be the meek and quiet sister. . . .” Though the question was meant for sisters, that brother got an answer and the Spirit of the Lord began to deal with him to a life of brokenness!
Time is short. We cannot aﬀord to waste time and God given opportunities. The lazy servant who did not work hard was thrown out in to the darkness in the parable of the Talents (Mt. 25:25–30).
How to Work Hard?
1. Work with all your heart. Neh. 4:6
2. Work with ﬁrm determination. Neh. 6:3
3. Work faithfully. Mt. 25:21, 23
4. Work with the help of God. Neh. 6:9, 16
5. Work with eager hands. Prov. 31:13
6. Work by watching over. Prov. 31:27
7. Work as working for the lord. Co1. 3:23
Results of Hard Working
1. WE’LL NOT BE BURDEN TO ANY. 2 Thess. 3:8
2. OTHERS ARE HELPED. Acts. 20:35
3. WE’LL BE GOOD EXAMPLES FOR OTHERS.
2 Thess. 3:9
4. INHERITANCE FROM THE LORD. Col. 3.24
5. MASTER WILL APPRECIATE. Mt. 25:21
6. SHARING THE MASTER’S HAPPINESS. Mt. 25:23
7. FATHER WILL BE GLORIFIED. Jn. 17:4
John Wesley wrote over 200 books, edited magazine, compiled dictionaries in four languages—all in his own handwriting. He rode on horseback for a total of some 250,000 miles on an average of 50 to 60 miles in a day, stopping to preach along the way. He preached
40,000 sermons, often seven or eight messages per day for 53 years! And when he was 83 he “complained” that he could no longer read or write more than ﬁfteen hours a day without his eyes hurting; he regretted that he could no longer preach more than twice a day; confessed that he sleeps till 5.30 in the morning. At the age of 86, he was till rising at 5.30 each morning for prayer! What an example of hard working?
The word “anger” comes 473 times in the Bible. There is a divine anger which is unselﬁsh (Mark. 3:5). But there is a selﬁsh human anger which we should put oﬀ.
Facts about Anger
1. IT RESIDES IN THE LAP OF FOOLS. Eccles. 7:9
2. IT SUBJECTS US FOR JUDGEMENT. Mt. 5:22
3. IN YOUR ANGER DO NOT SIN. Ep. 4:26
4. DISASSOCIATE WITH ANGRY MAN. Prov. 22:24
5. THE GODLESS HARBORS ANGER. Job. 36:13
6. WE ARE TO PRAY WITHOUT ANGER. 1 Tim. 2:8
7. THOSE WHO LIVE IN FITS OF ANGER WILL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD. Gal. 5:20–21
Reasons for the Wrath of God
1. Idolatry of all forms. 2 Chro. 34:25
2. Disobedience. Eph. 5:6
3. Helping the wicked. 2 Chro. 19:2
4. Despising the word of God. 2 Chro. 36:16
5. Marrying unbelievers. Ezek.10:14
On Escaping the Wrath of God
1. TURN FROM PRIDE. 2 Chro. 32:26
2. INTERCEDE BEFORE GOD. Ps. 106:23
3. THROUGH JESUS CHRIST. Rom. 5:9
4. FRUIT OF REPENTANCE. Lk. 3:7–8
5. BELIEVING IN THE LORD JESUS. Jn. 3:36.
There was a sister who was praying for the conversion of her husband. But she was a very short tempered wife. One day her husband accidentally broke a new lamp. And he expected his wife to shout at him in anger. But he was amazed when she said quietly, “Never mind, dear, it’s all right; you couldn’t help it. . . .” The unconverted husband asked, “What’s come over you?” in surprise. The wife replied, “I’ve recently asked the Lord to cleanse my heart and help me control my terrible temper!” The husband said, “Well, if his power can do that for you, you better remember me in your prayers; that’s the kind of Christianity I want!” Not long afterward he was converted!
“THE LORD IS. . .SLOW TO ANGER ABOUNDING IN LOVE” Ps. 103:8.
In the school of Christ on earth we have many things to learn if we are teachable. May God help us to complete our education which he takes us through various circumstances in love. Though Jesus was Son of God yet he “LEARNED. . .” (Hebrews 5:8).
Things to Learn
1. LEARN TO REVERE. GOD. Deut. 4:10
2. LEARN WHAT HOSEA 6:6 MEANS. Mt. 9:13
3. LEARN FROM THE FIG TREE. Mk.13:28
4. LEARN FROM PAUL AND APOLLOS. 1 Cor. 4:6
5. LEARN TO DEVOTE DOING GOOD. Tit. 3:14
6. LEARN TO PUT RELIGION INTO PRACTICE. 1 Tim 5:4
7. LEARN TO BE CONTENT IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.
Personal Testimony of Learning
1. I AM LEARNING TO PUT GOD FIRST. Mt. 6:33
2. TO BE OCCUPIED WITH GOD. Ps. 73:25
3. TO BE AT REST IN JESUS. Mt. 11:28–29
4. OPEN TO ALL THE SAINTS. Ep. 3:18
5. TO MOURN WHEN I SLIP. Js. 4:8,9
6. TO BE MERCIFUL TO OTHERS. Lk. 6:36
7. TO BRING OTHERS TO THE LORD. Jn.1:42
8. NOT TO DESPISE ANY ONE. Job. 36:5
9. NOT TO COMPLAIN. Phil. 2:14
10. NOT TO PLEASE MEN. Gal. 1:10
11. NOT TO JUDGE OTHERS. Mt. 7:1
12. NOT TO JUSTIFY. Lk. 16:15
13. NOT TO BE RELIGIOUS. Mt. 23:3
14. NOT TO BE UNTHANKFUL. Lk. 17:16–17
I met a man of God who served the Lord for 30 years. When I enquired about learning, he said, “Brother, my life is divided into two phases of ﬁfteen years! The ﬁrst ﬁfteen years was of making mistakes, mistakes and mistakes and blunders! But the second ﬁfteen years was of learning from those ﬁrst ﬁfteen years of mistakes!” Yes, we should not make the mistake of not learning from the mistakes!
To be religious is not the same as being spiritual. There are many believers who are still religious thinking to be spiritual. Unless God gives light on our religiosity, we will continue to be a good religious believer. Let’s wake up NOW!
What is Religiosity?
1. IT IS A FORM OF GODLINESS. 2 Tim. 3:5
2. IT IS A WORSHIP OF GOD WITHOUT KNOWING.
3. IT IS AN IGNORANT ZEAL FOR GOD. Rom. 10:2
4. IT IS A KEEPING OF LETTER AND NOT. ITS SPIRIT.
2 Cor. 3:6
5. IT IS EXTERNAL ACTIVITIES FOR GOD. Mt. 7:22–23
Marks of Religious Person
1. BLIND FOOL. Mt. 23:17
2. SPIRITUALLY BLIND. Mt. 23:19
3. FULL OF GREED. Mt. 23:25
4. SELF INDULGENCE. Mt. 23:25
5. FULL OF HYPOCRISY. Mt. 23:28
6. FULL OF WICKEDNESS. Mt. 23:28
7. SELF-RIGHTEOUS. Lk. 18:9
Deceptions of Being Religious
1. CASHING ON GODLY MEN. Jn. 8:39–40
2. ACTIVE BUT JESUS NOT KNOWING YOU.
3. NOT OPEN TO SINNER AS BEEN TO JESUS. Lk. 7:39
4. BYPASSING THE NEEDY PERSONS. Lk. 10:31–32
5. OCCUPIED WITH WORK THAN THE LORD. Lk. 10:40
6. VALUING THE DESTABLE THINGS. Lk. 16:15
7. DESPISING OTHER IN PRAYER. Lk.18:11
8. GOING HOME UNJUSTIFIED BEFORE GOD. Lk. 18:14
9. NOT ENTERING HEAVEN NOT LETTING OTHERS.
10. WORRIED ABOUT ‘MANY GOOD THINGS. Lk. 10:42
11. MAJORING IN MINOR THINGS. Mt. 23:23
12. MISSING THE BETTER THINGS FOR GOOD THINGS.
13. COMPLAINS ABOUT THOSE WHO DO NOT HELP.
One day a man went in search of a job in a zoo. The manager said that there was no job. But since the gorilla of the zoo died the previous day, he was oﬀered a job to imitate as gorilla wearing a special suit. One evening this man imitating the gorilla accidentally landed in the lion’s den. He could not shout for help, lest his real self be exposed. However the lion followed roaring at him. So the “gorilla man” screamed, “Help!” Immediately the lion said in a low tone, “Keep quiet! You stupid! We both will loose the job.” There are many who put on the special suit of religion and are acting. Spirituality is the reality of life!
Each country has a particular government with the rulers to administrate. The government is meant to guide people in an organised way. The Bible talks about diﬀerent kinds of governments.
Kinds of Governments
1. TRIBAL. Gen. 25:16
2. MOSAIC. Ex. 18:15-23
3. JUDGES. Judg. 2:16-19
4. MONARCHIAL. 1 Sam. 8:5–9
5. EMPERAL. Lk. 3:1
6. ANTICHRIST’S. Rev. 13:5-8
7. CHRIST’S ETERNAL GOVERNMENT. Dan. 2:44, 45
Facts about the Government
1. God has established it. Rom.13:1
2. We must submit to it. Rom. 13:1
3. To rebel at it is to rebel against God. Rom. 13:2
4. Those who rebel will be judged. Rom. 13:2
5. Authorities are God’s servants. Rom. 13:4
6. We must pay taxes to them. Rom. 13:6, 7
7. Submit to them for the Lord’s sake. 1 Pet. 2:13
8. God sets and deposes them. Rom. 13:6, 7
9. The rulers may be ignorant. 1 Cor. 2:8
10. The heart of the ruler is in the Lord’s hand and he directs it.
Pray for the Government
1 Tim. 2:1–3
1. That we may live peacefully.
2. That we may live quiet lives.
3. Live in all goodness.
4. Live in holiness.
5. This is good.
6. This pleases God our saviour.
7. That we may have security. Ps.122.6–7
Some years ago the ship M.V. logos of OM was supposed to go to Sri Lanka. Much preparation had gone ahead. But in the last moment the government refused permission to the ship. Over 100 believers on board the ship prayed over this unexpected change claiming God’s sovereignty. Shortly after that a telegram from the same government came with these words— “WELCOME TO LOGOS!”
Days of Noah
When the disciple asked Jesus about the sign of his coming and the end of the world, he prophesied one sign—that is the sign of the days of Noah! (Mt. 24:3, 37). Let’s divide this study under three subjects—The People, Noah and the Ark.
The People in the Days of Noah
1. People were increasingly wicked. Gen. 6:5
2. Their thoughts were only evil. Gen. 6:5
3. They were evil all’ the time. Gen. 6:5
4. They were involved in Eating. Mt. 24:38
5. They were drinking. Mt. 24:38
6. They were marrying. Mt. 24:38
7. They were giving in marriage. Mt. 24:38
8. They were ignorant of the ﬂood. Mt. 24:39
9. They were full of violence. Gen. 6:11
10. They had corrupted their ways. Gen. 6:12
1. He found favour before God. Gen. 6:8
2. He was a righteous man. Gen. 6:9
3. He was blameless in his time. Gen. 6.9
4. He walked with God. Gen. 6:9
5. He obeyed God’s commands. Gen. 6:22
6. He was a preacher of righteousness. 2 Pet. 2:5
7. He was a man of faith. Heb. 11:7
8. He built the ark in holy fear. Heb. 11:7
9. He saved his family. Heb. 11:7
10. He condemned the world by faith. Heb. 11:7
The Ark of Noah
1. The ark was God’s plan. Gen. 6:14
2. It was Commanded to be built. Gen. 6:14
3. It was built by Noah. Gen. 6:22
4. It was built by Faith. Heb. 11:7
5. It’s for all whom God allowed. Gen. 6:18, 19
6. It revealed God’s patience. 1 Pet. 3:20
7. It’s doors were shut by God” Gen. 7:16
We are living in the days of Noah. Jesus said, “As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man” (Mt. 24:37). It’s God’s desire that we be like godly Noahs saving the few whom God gives and build something that God directs. The ark is the picture of Christ. And Christ has his body which is the Church. We are also to ﬁnd our Noah with those 10 virtues mentioned in our part of the world. Have you found your Noah building the ark of the body of Christ? As for me I have found my Noah. What about you?
The word “Babel” is found nearly three hundred times in the Bible. The word “Babel” means confusion. It is important that we know about the spirit of Babylon in these days of confusion!
1. It is a centre of religious prostitution. Rev. 17:1–2
2. It is a system of abominations. Rev. 17:5
3. It persecutes the saints of Jesus. Rev.17:6
4. It will support Antichrist—the beast. Rev. 17:7,10
5. It will be destroyed by the beast. Rev. 17:16
The Spirit of Babylon
1. Make name for one self. Gen. 11:4
2. Building something by self power. Dan. 4:30
3. Building something for self glory. Dan. 4:30
4. Boasting about self eﬀort. Dan. 4:30
5. Spirit of uncleanness. Rev. 18:2
6. Excessive luxuries. Rev. 18:3, 7
7. Spirit of merchandise. Rev. 18:12–13
A story is said about a man in old Russia, who wanted fame and name for himself. One day the officials announced to confer the highest honour on him. He went to the public stage and received the honour. He had many plans to build something to get greater name and fame for himself. Alas! he was dead the next day. There was a poisonous pin tip along with the honoured decoration that took his life. The spirit of Babylon is also something that confers you honour and at the same time poisons your spirit leading to destruction.
Our God is one who examines the righteous (Jer. 20:12). Whether we know or not right now God is testing each one of us through various circumstances and people on this earth. Let’s pass God’s tests by God’s help.
Facts about Testing
1. God leaves alone to test. 2 Chron. 32:31
2. Paul was severely tested. Acts. 20:19
3. Jesus tested his disciples. Jn. 6:6
4. We are exhorted to test ourselves. 2 Cor. 13:5
5. We should not fail the test. 2 Cor. 13:6
Once there was a vacancy in a company for an important job. Though there were about thirty people for the interview, only one post was vacant. A sheet of objective question paper was passed on to all the thirty people. The interviewing oﬃcer wished the best to all of them. And he quickly moved out of the hall closing the door. This was something they never expected! So they all started copying and consulting from one another. But there was one young man in the corner who was not interested in copying. On the other side of the door outside the hall, the oﬃcer was observing everyone through the key hole. He opened the door and came and announced the selection of that one young man in the corner! Because he wanted an honest person. The young man passed the test!
We are in the last days and in this study let’s see some incidents of the end time.
God’s Time Table
Based on Daniel 2:
1. BABYLONIAN EMPIRE. Golden head. 2:32, 38
2. MEDO-PERSIAN EMPIRE. Silver chest-arm. 2:32, 39
3. GRECIAN EMPIRE. Bronze belly-thigh. 2:39
4. ROMAN EMPIRE. Iron legs. 2:40
5. 10 NATIONS EMPIRE. Iron-clay toes. 2:41
6. ANTICHRIST’S EMPIRE. Stern faced. 8:23–25
7. CHRIST’S EMPIRE. Rock. 2:44–45
Events of The Last Days
1. The Lord’s temple will be built. Is. 2:2
2. Out pouring of the Holy Spirit. Acts. 2:17
3. There will be terrible times. 2 Tim. 3:1
4. God speaks through his Son. Heb. 1:2
5. People hoard wealth. 1 Jas. 5:3
6. Scoﬀers will come to scoﬀ. 2 Pet. 3:3–4
7. Antichrist will come. 1 Jn. 2:18–19
Preparing for the Last Days
1. BE CLEAR MINDED. 1 Pet. 4:7
2. SELF CONTROLLED. 1 Pet. 4:7
3. AND PRAY. Lk. 21:36; 1 Pet. 4:7
4. LOVE EACH OTHER DEEPLY. 1 Pet. 4:8
5. OFFER HOSPITALITY WITHOUT GRUMBLING. 1 Pet. 4:9
6. SERVE OTHERS WITH SPIRITUAL GIFTS. 1 Pet. 4:10
7. DO IT WITH THE STRENGTH GOD GIVES. 1 Pet. 4:11
One day in Philippines there was a ﬁlm show of Dr. Billy Graham’s preaching. It was meant for the public and was conveniently shown outside the ship Logos. I saw one stranger coming and he stood by my side. He looked a bit agitated. Towards the end of the ﬁlm Dr· Graham said, “I tell you that the communist will not rule the world!” And paused pointing his ﬁnger. Immediately the stranger by my side shouted at the top of his voice, “They will” pointing his ﬁnger too! Then Billy Graham continued, “If so it will be for only a short time” As if he was answering that stranger. Overtaken with shame and disgest that man went away. Yes! Glorious climax of these days will result in to coming of our Lord to rule this world. He will!
One of the great appointments for men in the Scripture is to face Judgement! Human mind is reluctant to even think or believe about it, but it is inevitable.
Facts About Judgement
1. WE ARE DESTINED FOR IT. Heb. 9:27
2. AFTER DEATH IS JUDGEMENT. Heb. 9:27
3. IT WILL BE A RIGHTEOUS JUDGEMENT. Rom. 2:5
4. GOD WILL JUDGE THROUGH JESUS. Acts 17:31
5. EVERY DEED WILL BE BROUGHT OUT. Eccles. 12:14
6. EVERY CARELESS WORD WILL BE ACCOUNTED.
7. ANGRY BELIEVER IS SUBJECTED TO IT. Mt. 5:22
8. SOME WILL BE ALLOWED TO CONDEMN.
Mt. 12:41, 42
9. TEACHERS WILL BE JUDGED STRICTLY. Jas. 3:1
10. IT SHOULD BEGIN WITH GOD’S FAMILY.
1 Pet. 4:17
11. EVEN THE ANGELS WILL NOT BE SPARED.
2 Pet. 2:4
12. WORD OF CHRIST WILL CONDEMN US.
1. Christ for our sins. Is. 53:6–8
2. Believers judging themselves. 1 Cor. 11:28, 31
3. Believers for rewards. 2 Cor. 5:10
4. Nations for deeds. Mt. 25:31-46
5. Angels who sinned. 2 Pet. 2:4
6. Satan standing condemned. Jn. 16:11
7. Judgement of unbelievers. Rev. 20:11-15
Many years ago I was riding a bicycle on the wrong side of the road in a place called Gulbarga. And I was caught by the police brought before the judge. When I lifted my head to see the judge, both got a surprise! The judge hung his head down. I too! Because we knew each other. We went to the same church. We had taken photographs together. I had been to his house. . . but now he is seated as a judge and me standing as a law breaker! Without lifting his head, he asked, “Did you go on the wrong side?” Without lifting my head I said, “Yes Sir” I was ﬁned. Imagine our Lord Jesus—the Judge of the judges judging!
Heaven is our real home. It is our permanent home. It is our Father’s place. it’s also called the third heaven.
Facts about Heaven
1. IT IS OUR FATHER’S HOUSE. Jn. 14:2
2. GOD IS ITS ARCHITECT. Heb. 11:10
3. IT IS A BETTER COUNTRY. Heb. 11:16
4. WE CAN STORE TREASURES THERE. Mt. 6:20
5. IT IS HOME FOR THE ANGELS. Mt. 18:10–11
Characteristics of Heaven
1. PLACE OF REJOICING. Lk. 15:7
2. PLACE OF INHERITANCE. 1 Pet. 1:4
3. IT’S HOME OF RIGHTEOUSNESS. 2 Pet. 3:13
4. IT’S A PLACE OF WORSHIP. Rev. 4:8–11
5. IT’S A PLACE OF SERVICE. Rev. 7:15
Conditions to Enter Heaven
1. REPENTANCE. Lk. 15:7
2. POOR IN SPIRIT. Mt. 5:3
3. GREATER RIGHTEOUSNESS. Mt. 5:20
4. DOING FATHER’S WILL. Mt. 7:21
5. BECOMING LIKE CHILD. Mt. 18:3
6. NOT LOVING RICHES. Mt.19:23–24
7. CLEAN LIFE. Rev. 22:14
A parable is said about an angel of God having the Book of Life with the names of those entering heaven. There was one man whose name was not in the book. He could not take it, for he believed that he lived a good life. Finally he asked the angel, “Is Paul’s name in that book?” The angel said, “Yes!” Then the man refuted, “Paul said that he was the chief of sinners and how come you put his name there?” Then the angel explained, “Yes it’s true that Paul was the chief of sinners, but he was honest enough to admit that he was a sinner. You never admitted that you are a sinner while on earth and even here you are not admitting.” Heaven is populated not with “good people” but HONEST PEOPLE!
There are 3 beliefs about hell:
1. There is no hell
2. There is a hell, but it is on the earth itself.
3. There is a hell.
The last two are true. The second one is true, when people do not have God in their lives, they live a life of “mini hell”!
Facts About Hell
1. It is prepared for the devil. Mt. 25:41
2. Here the worm does not die. Mk. 9:48
3. Here the ﬁre is not quenched. Mk. 9:48
4. 8 kinds of people go here. Rev.21:8
5. Soul and body can be destroyed here. Mt. 10:28
6. Pharisaism leads to hell. Mt. 23:33
7. Those who receive the mark of 666 will be here. Rev. 14:11
8. It’s a place of torment. Lk. 16:23
9. There will be intense thirst. Lk.16:24
10. It’s a place of memory of others. Lk.16:28
A parable is said about a conference in hell. The devil asked his angels, “How can we get more souls to our kingdom?” The demon replied, “I’ll go to the earth and tell the people of the world that there is no God!” “Any other better plan?” asked the devil. The second demon said, “I’ll say that there is God and that he sent Jesus Christ to die but Jesus never rose again!” “Any other better plan?” asked the devil feeling bit satisﬁed. One last demon said, “I have a better plan. I’ll put the thoughts in the people of the world that Jesus died for the sins of the world, and that he rose from the dead. But there is plenty of time to accept him!” This sounded really a better plan and the devil shouted, “All of you rush! Don’t waste any time DO THIS JOB among all the people of the earth—that we get more souls to our kingdom!” Yes, the devil is doing this but the Word says, “Now is the day of salvation” (2 Cor. 6:2).
The word “Gospel” means “good news” It’s a good news about a Person—the Lord Jesus Christ. The whole world is full of spiritually sick people and God begins his gospel about the spiritual doctor. Mark. 1:1.
Facts About the Gospel
1. Christ came to preach it. Mk. 1:38
2. Christ was anointed for it. Lk. 4:18
3. It should be preached to all. Mk. 16:15
4. Christ commanded to preach. Mk. 16:15
5. Angel brought it for the ﬁrst time. Lk. 2:10
6. Paul asked prayers to preach it. Eph. 6:19
7. The mystery of it is to be revealed. Eph. 6:19
8. It is veiled for the perishing. 2 Cor. 4:3
9. There is a duplication of it. 2 Cor. 11:4
10. The disobedient will be punished. 2 Thess. 1:8
The Content of the Gospel
1. CHRIST THE SAVIOUR WAS BORN. Lk. 2:10,11
2. THE DEATH OF CHRIST FOR OUR SINS. 1 Cor. 15:3
3. THE BURIAL OF CHRIST FOR OUR SIN. 1 Cor. 15:4
4. HIS RESURRECTION ON THE THIRD DAY. 1Cor. 15:4
5. HIS APPEARANCE TO MANY. 1 Cor. 15:5–6
6. THE GLORY OF CHRIST. 2 Cor. 4:4
7. THE ANOINTING OF JESUS BY WOMAN AT BETHANY.
The Significance of the Gospel
1. It’s the power of God for salvation. Rom. 1:16
2. The end of the world depends on it. Mt. 24:14
3. S.piritual children are through it. 1 Cor. 4:15
4. We become sharers through it. Eph. 3:6
5. We become member of one body. Eph. 3:6
6. We share the promise in Christ. Eph. 3:6
7. Hope is held out in the Gospel. Col. 1:23
Our Response to the Gospel
1. Repent. Mk. 1:15
2. believe it. Mk. 1:15
3. testify it. Acts 20:24
4. be eager. Rom. 1:15
5. Not to be ashamed. Rom.1:16
6. Suffer for it. 2 Tim. 1:8
7. Conduct worthy of it. Phil. 1:27
Charles Gordon was a godly man serving the Lord in China. The English government rewarded him with a gold medal inscribed with his name and a record of his accomplishments. Following his death,however it could not be found among his belongings. Later in his private diary these words were found: “The only thing I had in this world that I valued, I have now given to the Lord Jesus!” Yes, it was learnt that he gave that gold medal with a request to be melted and used for needy people for the glory of God. He sought only to serve the Master for the gospel’s sake!