These notes may be reproduced except for commercial purposes. Visit http://www.doveministries.com.
(To be used together with pamphlet "Deliverance from Demons")
Primary reason for curses:
(a) Not hearing God's voice
(b) Not doing what He says There are seven blessings and seven curses referred to in the law in Scripture.
Seven blessings: (Deuteronomy 28)
(4) Prosperity, success
(6) That we are the head and not the tail
(7) That we will be above and not beneath
There are seven curses referred to in the same chapter:
(3) Sickness of every kind
(4) Poverty, failure
(6) We will be the tail and not the head
(7) We will be below and not above
Indications of Curses:
(1) Mental, emotional breakdown
(2) Repeated sickness, especially hereditary sickness -doctors can't find the cause
(3) Feminine problems -barrenness, miscarriage, menstruation problems
(4) Breakdown of marriage -family alienation
(5) Financial insufficiency, poverty. Sometimes poverty for a short period is just a test but if we are always in poverty it could be a curse.
(6) Accident prone
(7) History of unnatural deaths
A curse can be something like an evil thing moving up from the past. It is like a deep shadow.
2. A curse is:
"Like a flitting sparrow, like a flying swallow, So a curse without cause shall not alight."
Therefore, a curse requires a cause to alight.
REASONS FOR CURSES:
(1) Having false gods (Exodus 20: 3& 4, Deuteronomy 27: 15)
(2) Disrespect for parents (Deuteronomy 27: 16)
(3) Treachery against a neighbour (Deuteronomy 27: 17)
(4) Injustice to the weak (Deuteronomy 27: 18& 19)
(5) Illicit sex (Deuteronomy 27: 20-23)
(Effect of wrong sexual relationships, particularly those outside of marriage or with members of one's family)
(6) Perjury (Deuteronomy 27: 25)
(7) Stealing (Zechariah 5: 1-4)
(8) Stinginess towards God (Malachi 3: 9)
(9) Perverting gospel (Galatians 1: 8& 9)
(10) Depending on the flesh (Jeremiah 17: 5)
(11) Anti-Semitism (Genesis 12: 3, Genesis 28: 3& 14)
SOURCE OF CURSES:
1. God Himself God blesses and curses (Exodus 20: 3&5) Breaking the first two commandments:
(a) To have no other Gods
Our God is a jealous God
2. All occult practices Making occultism your God, eg a fortune teller. It is the power behind the fortune teller that matters. In four generations we can have upwards of 30 ancestors.
3. Men who speak on behalf of God
(a) Joshua 6: 26, ie Joshua said, "Cursed be the man before the Lord who rises up and builds the city Jericho, he shall lay its foundation with his firstborn, and with his youngest he shall set up its gates." This was fulfilled in 1 Kings 16: 34 nearly 500 years later when Hiel of Bethel built Jericho, he laid its foundation with Abriam, his first born, and with his youngest son Segub he set up its gates according to the Word of the Lord which he had spoken through Joshua the son of Nun. Thus curses are self-perpetuating.
(b) 2 Samuel 1: 21 Statement by David: "Oh mountains of Gilboa, Let there be no dew, nor let there be rain upon you, Nor fields of offerings.
For the shield of the mighty is cast away there!" These were the fields of Gilboa upon which Saul and Jonathan had died and David was cursing them. Nearly 3, 000 years later this same curse was upon this land and the Jewish people had great difficulty a few years ago in trying to get trees to grow on it.
(c) 2 Kings 5 (Naaman) verse 27, cursed his servant with leprosy forever.
4. God's servants can do this today eg Jesus cursed the fig tree and said, "You can do this also."
5. Persons with relational authority eg husband over wife, parents over children. Words spoken have supernatural powers. The blessing of the father is important.
(a) Genesis 31 -Jacob and Rachel: Rachel had stolen her father's gods. Jacob did not know this and he said to her father, Laban: "`With whomever you find your gods, do not let him live. In the presence of our brethren, identify what I have of yours and take it with you. ' For Jacob did not know that Rachel had stolen them." (Genesis 31: 32) ie, he was in effect saying that she should die, although, of course, he did not know she had stolen them and that she would feign sickness to avoid being discovered. She later died in childbirth.
(b) Examples where husband curses his wife or parents curse their children, eg a husband says to his wife, "You cannot cook", or the following statements are made in respect of other people including children:
"You are no good"
"You are useless"
"You are a failure"
"You will never be any good"
"You are hopeless"
"You will never achieve anything"
"You are ugly"
"You are a bad person"
"You are always a liar"
"It's in the family and you are sure to get it" etc etc.
6. Self-imposed curses which become like inner vows. Examples:
"I'll never be any good"
"I'll never forgive myself"
"God doesn't love me"
"I'll never speak to ….. again"
"I hate myself"
"No-one loves me"
"I want to die, I'm better off dead"
Examples from Scripture:
(a) Genesis 27: 13 Rebekah said: "Let your curse be on me" and in verse 46 she said: "I am weary of my life because of the daughters of Heth; … what good will my life be to me?" She brought a curse on herself.
(b) Matthew 27: 24& 25, the Jews said, "Let His blood be on us and our descendants".
(c) Peter denied the Lord three times
7. Curses brought on by unscriptural covenants:
Exodus 23: 32: "You shall make no covenant with them, nor with their gods." We are to make no covenant with those who are not committed as Christians. Freemasonry is an example of that with self-imposed curses, eg the 32nd degree
2 Corinthians 6: 14-17: "Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people." Therefore "Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you."
8. Curses put on by the servants of Satan eg witch doctors, medicine men, tohungas etc. Example: Numbers 22: 4& 6. Note this was a request by Moab to Balam to pronounce curses on Israel. It was a matter of their gods versus the true God. When people fought one another in the old days, they regarded it as a fight between their gods and the other gods, eg David and Goliath.
1 Samuel 17: 43: " So the Philistine said to David, "Am I a dog, that you come to me with sticks?" And the Philistine cursed David by his gods."
Other reasons for curses:
1. Objects in homes (Deuteronomy 7: 26) We are to have no abominable thing our home. This can cause children to be disturbed.
2. Soul ties These are soul ties which are contrary to God's purposes. Eg, in adultery, fornication (especially past sexual relationships). Ungodly soul ties can bring spiritual sickness. 1 Corinthians 6: 18: "Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body."
Examples of wrongful sex are as follows:
Pre-marital sex Perverted sex
Trial marriages Homosexuality
Lesbianism Pornography and fantasy
(a) Establishment of soul ties and bondings in the flesh other than with God's intended partner.
(b) Guilt and condemnation.
(d) Emotional disturbance
What is sexual abuse?
Uninvited handling of the sexual areas
Masturbation in front of a person
Forced oral sex
Forced mutual masturbation
Forced intercourse and rape
All of these cause fear, confusion, deception.
Long term problems:
(a) Confusion of one's identity, sexuality, physical position and emotional situation.
(b) Causes regression and repression of memories. Causes fantasy.
(c) Breaking of trust.
(d) Causes rebellion including (i) self rejection (ii) fear of rejection and (iii) anger.
(e) Causes guilt and fear.
(f) Causes inability to respond to love.
(g) Causes desire to die.
(h) Causes physical illness.
(i) Causes damage to the spirit.
Also domination by one person over another, eg where a father dominates or sexually abuses his daughter.
HOW TO BE RELEASED FROM THE CURSE:
1. We must recognise that there is a curse.
2. We must repent from all sin.
3. We must renounce in the name of Jesus Christ.
4. We must resist, eg James 4: 7: "Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."
5. Use the Word of God. The Word of God is powerful and such Scriptures as the following can be used:
Psalm 118: 17: "I shall not die, but live, And declare the works of the LORD." We must realise that where there is a negative there should also be a positive. We recall that Peter denied the Lord three times but three times Jesus asked him, "Do you love me?" Peter had to revoke his earlier statement three times. Where curses have arisen from the servants of Satan, we must recognise Luke 10: 19: "Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you."
1. Confess our faith in Jesus Christ.
2. Commit ourselves to be obedient to God and to hear and do what He says.
3. Confess any known sins on our own part or of our ancestors.
4. Forgive others.
5. Renounce the occult on our own part or on the part of our ancestors.
6. Renounce all contact with heathen objects.
CONTINUING WITH THE LORD
1. Pray the Holy Spirit will fill every area of the person's life.
2. Give as much love and encouragement as is necessary and the person can receive.
3. Assure the person that where deliverance has taken place, they need not fear the enemy if they walk properly with God.
4. Encourage the person:
(a) To be continuously filled with the Holy Spirit.
(b) Read the Word of God daily.
(c) Wear the armour of God at all times.
(d) Be on their guard against the enemy's counter attacks.
(e) Be in good fellowship with other Christians.
(f) Walk continuously in forgiveness.
(g) Praise God in all circumstances.
(h) Keep the right company.
5. (a) Encourage people to be fully rehabilitated in their emotional responses
(b) To present themselves properly, eg in dress.
(c) To continue to re-learn right relationships with others.
(d) Avoid long-term dependency on others.
6. (a) Acknowledge the truth of Ephesians 1: 6, ie we are accepted in the beloved.
(b) Break free from any feeling of being cursed or being an abuse victim.
7. Walk in the power of the Holy Spirit, ie in the fruit of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness and temperance.
SUGGESTED PROCEDURE FOLLOWING SEMINAR ON DELIVERANCE AND CURSES
1. THE BLOOD SCRIPTURES
Ask everybody to stand and say the following Scriptures: Psalm 107: 2:
"Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom He hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy."
Ephesians 1: 7: "In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace."
THROUGH THE BLOOD OF JESUS I AM REDEEMED OUT OF THE HAND OF THE DEVIL. THROUGH THE BLOOD OF JESUS ALL MY SINS ARE FORGIVEN.
1 John 1: 7:
"But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin."
THE BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST, GOD'S SON, IS CLEANSING ME NOW AND CONTINUALLY FROM ALL SIN.
Romans 5: 9: "Much more then, being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him."
THROUGH THE BLOOD OF JESUS I AM JUSTIFIED, MADE RIGHTEOUS, JUST AS THOUGH I HAD NEVER SINNED.
Hebrews 13: 12: "Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people with His own blood, suffered outside the gate."
THROUGH THE BLOOD OF JESUS I AM SANCTIFIED, MADE HOLY, SET APART TO GOD.
1 Corinthians 6: 19& 20: "Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?" For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's"
MY BODY IS A TEMPLE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. I AM REDEEMED, CLEANSED, SANCTIFIED BY THE BLOOD OF JESUS. THEREFORE THE DEVIL HAS NO MORE PLACE IN ME AND NO MORE POWER OVER ME. THROUGH THE BLOOD OF JESUS I OVERCOME SATAN BY THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB AND THE WORD OF MY TESTIMONY.
(Revelation 12: 11)
(a). Go through the occult check list and get people to tick anything that they have been in relating to the occult.
(b) Ask those who have been in the occult to stand and ask others to stand with them in order to pray for them.
(c) Then say the following prayer in regard to the occult:
"Lord Jesus Christ, I confess you are the only Son of God, that You died on the Cross for my sins and rose again. In Your name I now renounce all contact with the occult and in particular I renounce the following involvements in the occult ……………….. I receive Your forgiveness. Thank You Heavenly Father for delivering me in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ."
(d) The counsellors (ie those standing with the candidates for deliverance) should command the demons to go.
3. SOULISH TIES
(a) Ask those to come forward who know that they still have soulish ties, that is sense there is still some tie between them and some other person with whom they have had a previous relationship. This includes cases where women feel under the domination of their mother or men feel under the domination of their mother.
(b) Get people to stand with them to pray for them.
(c) Pray the general prayer for deliverance from soul ties:
"Dear Heavenly Father, as I come to You in the name of Jesus Christ in the authority that is in that name, I break every soul tie affecting my body, soul or spirit, which has existed between myself and ………………. (name the individual). In the name of Jesus Christ, I specifically speak to every demonic power that has taken advantage of that link and I tell it that it has no rights here and it must leave now without going into any other member of my family. Thank you Lord Jesus that through Your shed blood and through Your wonderful name, I am able to be absolutely free. Thank you Lord."
(d) Get the people who need deliverance to cut the soulish ties around the people. Show them how to do this with a motion across the front of the body and across the head.
(e) The counsellors should command the demons to go.
4. INNER VOWS
(a) Ask those who know that they have made inner vows for which they need release to come forward and ask others to stand with them to pray for them again.
(b) Say the prayer and get the people to renounce those inner vows and as they do expect deliverance. "In the name of Jesus Christ, I specifically renounce all vows which I have made, knowing or unknowingly, against myself. I specifically renounce…..( name those vows which you have made and which you know to be wrong). I ask you to totally cleanse me and set me free from the results of those vows and I thank you for doing it."
(c) The counsellors should command the demons to go.
5. PRONOUNCEMENT AND CURSES
(a) Ask those who feel that they have had pronouncements or curses placed upon them to stand and get somebody to stand with them to pray for them.
(b) They should then say the following prayer: "Heavenly Father, I come to You in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the authority of that name I specifically renounce all curses that have been placed upon my life through the words of those who have abused and damaged me. I forgive them and I ask You Lord to release me from their consequences. Thank You Father, in Jesus' name."
(c) The counsellors should command the demons to go.
6. FINAL PRAYER:
"Dear Heavenly Father, I come to You in the name of Jesus Christ. I thank You Lord for Your love for me. I confess that Jesus Christ is my Lord and my Saviour and that He died and rose again from the dead.
I believe that through the blood of Jesus Christ I have been redeemed from the hand of the devil. I believe that through the blood of Jesus Christ all my sins have been forgiven.
I believe that through the blood of Jesus Christ I have been sanctified, made holy to God. I believe that through the blood of Jesus Christ I have been justified just as if I had never sinned.
I now confess all my sins. I confess that in my own strength I have been unable to defeat the attacks of the enemy. I specifically renounce the following sexual sin ………. I confess I have been wrong. I renounce all pleasure connected with these sins. I now turn from my sin. I ask You, Father, to forgive me all that is past and give me discernment when the temptation arises and the strength to resist it. I ask You to heal my memories and to heal the hurts and forgive me in Jesus name.
I also specifically renounce any other sins such as rejection, unforgiveness. I especially forgive the following persons ……………..
I specifically honour my parents and I forgive them. I renounce my own sins and the sins of my ancestors in the name of Jesus Christ. I especially renounce all idolatry, witchcraft and everything of the occult and all the hidden things of darkness. I especially renounce all idolatry, witchcraft and everything of the occult and all hidden things of darkness. I believe that at the Cross of Jesus Christ I was delivered from every curse of the law. I call upon You, Lord Jesus, to set me free from every demonic power that has affected me.
Lord, I now renounce Satan and all his works. I hate his demons. I count them my enemies in the name of Jesus. I loose myself from every dark spirit, from every evil influence, from every satanic bondage, from any spirit in me that is not the Spirit of God. I command all such spirits to leave me now in the name of Jesus.
I call upon You, Lord Jesus, to set me free from every demonic power that has affected me. In the name of Jesus Christ, Risen Saviour, I command every demonic power that has lived within me or oppressed me to leave me now in the name of Jesus Christ. I declare that I am a child of the Living God and that Satan has no right to inhabit any part of me or to oppress me. I thank You Lord Jesus and I give You the glory. Amen."
To be delivered:
(1) Confess the spirit in the name of Jesus.
(2) Renounce the spirit in the name of Jesus.
(3) Forgive others.
(4) Call on the name of the Lord Jesus.
With special acknowledgment and thanks to: Dr Derek Prince, Derek Prince Ministries, P. O. Box 300, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33302, USA and
Mr Peter Horrobin, Ellel Grange, Ellel, near Lancaster LA2 OHN, England. These notes can be used to accompany the five-hour teaching series "Deliverance from Demons" available on VHS video or audio cassettes.